• Feb 12th, 2016 11:09 am
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2001
881 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga

Flash recommendations needed

I currently using a 430ex that I've had for about 9 years now. It's starting to give me some trouble and I'm looking to replace it. The main issues I'm having with it is it doesn't always want to power on even with fresh batteries. I usually have to flip it on and off a bunch of times before it finally fires up. Also, I'm noticing that the cycling time is getting slower, is this normal?

I was looking at getting another Canon but am open to suggestions if there is a good alternative. I know a lot of people seem to like the ones from Yongnuo, what are people's thoughts on Godox?

I'm open to suggestions on a good replacement for the 430ex. I wouldn't mind something a little more powerful with quick cycle times. I mainly use it when shooting indoor events on a 7DMK2.

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Nov 12, 2012
781 posts
514 upvotes
Calgary
Obvious choices: 430EX ii, 600EX
I have no experience with, but have heard great things about the Yongnuo lineup (although some have a tendency to drain batteries while powered off)

Depends on your budget, have you tried off-camera flash? Yongnuo 600EX and remote transmitter can be had for $299.
Dec 15, 2009
104 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Yongnuo YN-568EX II
It work great for me, quick recycle time and a lot cheaper than Canon one.

I remember i read somewhere you can use it as Commander to trigger other YN568EX II, i have not use that feature because I only have one flash and only needed one.
Have been using Yongnuo RF603-C remote trigger for off camera setting, no ETTL with that.
Sep 1, 2005
418 posts
57 upvotes
Another reco for Yongnuo, performance is the same as the Canons, at 1/4 the price. I would suggest the YN600EX-Rt as well, you have built in radio when you want to expand down the line.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
+1, Yongnuos are great alternatives.

YN600s are $150, the trigger is $100 or thereabouts on eBay.

Reliability and warranty service may not be as good as Canon but the Canon version is $500+tax. Disposables vs waiting for Canon repair.

A lower/cheaper model like a 568exii or 500ex are fine. Depends if you want remote and desired GN. I'd get one with HSS though, all mentioned do. You can build a pretty good remote system using 600s if you plan to expand, that's how cinematic headshots are done (2 remote HSS speedlites).

For those on Nikon, 600EX-RT = SB910.
For those on the 560 system, they have YN685s now for compatible RF (YN622).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)