• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2015 6:55 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 6, 2009
183 posts
33 upvotes

Flat Skin Mole?!? $280 for 3? Scammed?

To give you some background information, I live in Toronto and am a student. Also extremely frugal, hence the post.
Here are what my moles look like:
[IMG]http://www.prplastic.com/New_Folder/pho ... val-1a.jpg[/IMG]
Two look like that. The third one is smaller than the bigger one but bigger than the smaller one.

I went to a beauty salon to get a consultation of how much it would take to remove those 3 flat skin moles.
She gave me a price of $280 which was ridiculously high in my opinion as I thought it would be $10 a piece at first. However, she did show me before and after pictures and they were very well done. And she was in this business for over 20+ years. However, for 3 flat moles compared to the other ones that are huge and sticking out of the face, I thought this price was ridiculous. I would be fine paying that price if my moles were huge. But $280 for those 3 small ones. Come on?

So after an hour of negotiating and not settling on a price, I left and wandered to another beauty salon.
This beauty salon is now charging me $160 instead and will be going there tomorrow to get the procedure done.
I am wondering if prices indicate the result of my mole removal.
Will the $160 procedure give me the same result as the $280 procedure?
As well is this procedure more advanced than what these beauty salons are describing. Just burning the mole, and then letting it heal. No biggie? The $280 salon was hyping it up so much saying how the procedure is extremely difficult.

Also if anyone knows of a place with a cheaper price and also does these procedures well, give me a shout. I live in the GTA btw.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
Go to your family doctor. Get a referral for a dermatologist. Have the derm look at all of your moles. Have them remove whatever ones look iffy.

Total cost: $0. Now spin 360deg and moonwalk away.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Prices will vary from place to place because it's a cosmetic procedure and isn't regulated by OHIP. Even if you get a doctor's referral to a dermatologist, unless it looks iffy it is not covered by OHIP either and the dermatologist will likely do the procedure for extra fee. If the dermatologist does it you would be looking at more than $280 for 3 moles.

That being said, as a cosmetic procedure it should be similar from one salon to another. The difference in price could really be a reflection of whether the salon looks nice/well decorated/location, whether they pay someone minimum wage to do it or not, etc. Just general things that make one dentist cost more than another.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote: Prices will vary from place to place because it's a cosmetic procedure and isn't regulated by OHIP. Even if you get a doctor's referral to a dermatologist, unless it looks iffy it is not covered by OHIP either and the dermatologist will likely do the procedure for extra fee. If the dermatologist does it you would be looking at more than $280 for 3 moles.

That being said, as a cosmetic procedure it should be similar from one salon to another. The difference in price could really be a reflection of whether the salon looks nice/well decorated/location, whether they pay someone minimum wage to do it or not, etc. Just general things that make one dentist cost more than another.
This information is correct. OHIP (if the OP lives in Ontario) will not cover the removal of skin tags (this is the word used for moles, warts, etc.). $260 is a good price. Your GP should refer you to a derm - or you could see a plastic surgeon.

Personally, I would not be going to a salon for removal of skin tags. It does not matter if the skin tag is flat or protruding, the bottom line question is the potential for scarring. I have had large moles removed but the flat ones remain - due to the scarring potential. I did not go to a beauty salon.

The OP might be better to wait until his/her finances improve. Facial moles are not something to be dealt with lightly - and certainly should never be considered a "deal" when it comes to price.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh! Don't get moles removed at a beauty salon.
Please go to a dermatologist and ensure they're being removed properly and in a sanitary environment. They can also help deminish scaring ... I would never ever trust a beauty salon for something like that.
Pay a bit more and get it done properly.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Definitely get a referral to a dermatologist and have them evaluated.

I do understand ON has different coverage than SK where I am - but the mole I had removed on my face was covered by provincial health care. Also, since it was on my upper cheek, I had it done by a plastic surgeon. It was a flat mole, but had a big root. There is a very faint scar which no one notices but me.

I do have another mole - a bump - near my chin, that would not be covered, so I didn't have it done.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
So what did they do exactly?
Sep 6, 2009
183 posts
33 upvotes
Its like getting a tattoo. They use a needle filled with electricity and burn your skin until the mole is gone.
Jul 18, 2015
277 posts
92 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
Why did you get them removed?
Seems more cosmetic and nothing that would threaten your health.

I've had over 30 of mine all professionally consulted by my GP and dermatologist. All are normal and not to be touched.
If I want them removed I have to go to a plastic surgeon.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1176 posts
84 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
canny19 wrote: Why did you get them removed?
Seems more cosmetic and nothing that would threaten your health.

I've had over 30 of mine all professionally consulted by my GP and dermatologist. All are normal and not to be touched.
If I want them removed I have to go to a plastic surgeon.
Im wondering the same thing.
in my area, there are patients who get these things cosmetically removed by the surgeon, but these are on the face and are very noticeable, and sometimes disrupting vision. In your picture it looks like they are on an arm or leg?
If they dont need to be removed, then why shell out any money at all?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
jrychlik wrote: If they dont need to be removed, then why shell out any money at all?
Because the OP has no sense of self-worth or self-respect, apparently.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
ppl2pass wrote: Its like getting a tattoo. They use a needle filled with electricity and burn your skin until the mole is gone.
Holy jesus, how do you function in this world?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Dear OP,
No one in this forum (as far as I know) is a doctor or a dermatologist.
We can't tell you if it was done properly.
If you went to a doctor, you wouldn't be asking us this.

Why you'd waste your money by getting some random person in a SALON (!!!??!!) to remove your moles is beyond me.
The scars you're going to be left with will look far worse than the mole itself!
Not to mention, you don't even know if the moles are cancerous.

http://www.miravueskinclinic.com/articl ... rning.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/beaut ... ethal.html
https://www.healthxchange.com.sg/News/P ... moval.aspx
http://theskiny.com/danger-of-medi-spas/
http://www.herworldplus.com/beauty/upda ... treatments

Unreal. This is your skin!
Why the hell are you messing with it!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Moles are sexy.

On the right people.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)