• Jun 20th, 2009 3:42 pm
Tags:
Apr 1, 2005
685 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

flickr pro no longer free with rogers internet

[quote]Dear Rogers Yahoo! customer,

We are writing to inform you that on July 1, 2009, your Flickr Pro account included with your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service will change to a free Flickr account. The free Flickr service has many of the same features as Pro, but is subject to some limits.

Your existing photos or videos will not be deleted as a result of this change. If you have more than 200 photos in the free Flickr account, only the most recent 200 are displayed. Other changes include:

20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2659 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
Great, just great. I received that email too. :evil:
All the more reason to switch to a cheaper ISP (flickr pro of all things was keeping me on rogers). A pro account isn't that expensive anyways at $25/yr.
Apr 1, 2005
685 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
N_Raged wrote: Great, just great. I received that email too. :evil:
All the more reason to switch to a cheaper ISP (flickr pro of all things was keeping me on rogers). A pro account isn't that expensive anyways at $25/yr.
yes I agree with you! The $25/year is not much at all I am just not happy with how rogers keep raising prices and taking away our benefits. The flickr Pro is the only rogers benefit I use... and now its gone.

sungfra: thanks! I'll look into smugmug
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2007
1362 posts
6 upvotes
toronto
got the same email but can anyone tell me if i understand what this statement means for a FREE ACCOUNT.

If you have more than 200 photos in the free Flickr account, only the most recent 200 are displayed

i have more than 200 pics, but they said they wont delete the pictures.
does this mean they will sort of "hostage" the older uploads and only show them when i go PRO making me access only the 200 most recent pictures?
Apr 1, 2005
685 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
joeym wrote: got the same email but can anyone tell me if i understand what this statement means for a FREE ACCOUNT.

If you have more than 200 photos in the free Flickr account, only the most recent 200 are displayed

i have more than 200 pics, but they said they wont delete the pictures.
does this mean they will sort of "hostage" the older uploads and only show them when i go PRO making me access only the 200 most recent pictures?
I have 4600 + pics too this is ********. I think it means guest/other users will only be able to view 200 of your most recent pics unless you log in as yourself.

But then it says 100mb upload a month... maybe it means that I won't be able to upload anymore things onto it?
Oct 18, 2005
571 posts
98 upvotes
Thornhill
just one more reason why I dislike Rogers and their service!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
It was just a matter of time before this happened.

I was debating with some other users a while ago about the look and feel of Flickr and how it didn't compare with Smug or Pbase or Zenfolio, I would wonder if those same Flickr supporters would continue on and pay $25/year.

+1 for SMUGMUG.

For the pros out there, Smugmug PRO is on the way...(different then the pro user available currently)
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2659 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
SENSEI wrote: I would wonder if those same Flickr supporters would continue on and pay $25/year.
I would. I've gotten too comfortable with flickr's interface and communities. While smugmug is another worthwhile alternative, it doesn't look as clean to me and I'm not willing to move everything over. Zenfolio looks decent but Pbase looks very ugly and amateur.
Feb 9, 2008
257 posts
1 upvote
what a way to start my morning.

just when I start using my flickr more often.....they did this.

this really suck.
Banned
Feb 22, 2009
90 posts
BC
Switch to Zenfolio and get beyond excellent service. All my questions I have had for them over the years have been replied to (and answered) within two hours.

You can try them free for 14-days here:
https://www.zenfolio.com/zf/signup/plans.aspx?ref=trial

Here are there plans:
http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/pricing.aspx

If you choose to go with Zenfolio PM me and I will give you a code to save $5...
Dec 28, 2007
14 posts
1 upvote
Rogers is really pissing me off lately.

First the discontinued their webhosting. Then we got bandwidth caps. Then we get advertising in our webmail. Now they're cutting ANOTHER service.

Oh, and let's not forget that they just recently jacked their prices up.

Seems like someone has become a little too comfortable being the top ISP in canada. Bell is looking better and better every day.

I'm definitely going to be calling in to retention: "I'm cancelling my account unless you give me one free month of service to compensate for my $25 Flickr pro fee for the next 3 years."
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2004
1117 posts
62 upvotes
anyone have any opinions on PICASA?

I like the integration with PICASA3.
** BUY MY STUFF!! **
nothing to buy right now!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
N_Raged wrote: I would. I've gotten too comfortable with flickr's interface and communities. While smugmug is another worthwhile alternative, it doesn't look as clean to me and I'm not willing to move everything over. Zenfolio looks decent but Pbase looks very ugly and amateur.
I belive pbase allows you host files and enter via FTP, an option no one else offers. But agree that it looks really shoddy.

Mentioned before, but if you're willing to try out Smugmug you can use the code flickr to save 50% off first year.
http://www.smugmug.com/price/flee-flickr.mg
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
This is ********.

Here we go AGAIN. Rogers f***ing everyone up. It's not the first time they removed/added things.

Rogers need to die.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Dec 28, 2007
14 posts
1 upvote
what do you think the odds are of getting a reversal?

i guess it's worth a try. Add a quick post if this could be your final straw:

Rogers Community Forum - Flickr thread

And you should definitely call into Rogers retention and get them to cut you some kind of deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
I love how on their site they have a faq called Why this is happening but it doesn't say why, just what will happen.

With Yahoo's troubles and sympatico not really bundling or really caring that they had some sort of bundle with MSN there wasn't much pressure to get a rogers yahoo tie up/crossover anymore. Oh well, online storage for 25$ US isn't too bad but free was better, glad I don't have rogers and just mooched an extra email from my sister.
Apr 20, 2005
460 posts
26 upvotes
Rogers is also dropping the free mcafee ani-virus and going with their own solution.

I was ticked when they dropped newsgroups, now they are going after all of the 'extras', they are going to lose that competitive advantage.

Not pleased.

C
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
This is just more incentive to cancel.
Deal with it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)