Pets

Flies caused by cat's litter box/feces/food??

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2011 8:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 18, 2010
63 posts
2 upvotes

Flies caused by cat's litter box/feces/food??

I started seeing flies around my house, mostly in the kitchen and bathroom. They are bigger than fruit flies. Coincidentally, they started appearing since I got a cat. I keep the cat in my bedroom, along with its litter box, food dishes and toys, and store the bag of food in my bathroom cabinet. Could the flies be coming from the cat's litter, feces or food, even though we catch them in rooms the cat has never even been in? I clean the litter box twice a day; in the morning and evening, and it is enclosed.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there a way to prevent this? HELP!

THANKS.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you sharing an apartment with someone else?. Litter box shouldn't be in the bedroom unless you have no choice. Flies won't come from cat poo, the litter dries it out before anything can even grow in there.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Kitty poop and pee does not make fruit flies because if you have a good clumping litter, kitty will bury poop an it will dry it out.
Along with the above poster, I would advise moving the litter bin regardless. Food/water should be kept at a distance from where the cat poops not necessarily for sanitary reasons but for the fact cats do not like pooping where they eat. I volunteer with a pseudo feral cat colony and the kitties come out of the compound and walk a good 10 meters away from their living quarters to dig and bury their poop.

Garbage attracts fruit flies. Check your kitchen and under cracks and crevices for someone who accidently dropped some food.
× < >