Travel

FlightHub not offering refunds for cancelled flights and charging $75?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2020 1:18 pm
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
89 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary NW

FlightHub not offering refunds for cancelled flights and charging $75?

My trip for the 21st has had a flight that has been cancelled with no alternatives since 12th. On the FlightHub website it seems like they are giving EVERYONE an option to cancel for a $75 fee and get a credit. There is no explanation of what this credit is. I've been trying to phone them since the 12th. Finally spoke to them today and they said my only option is to cancel on the website, even though in their policy from when I booked I should be eligible for a full refund for a cancelled flight.

I also tried to ask them over the phone what exactly the credit would be for, and they assured me I would be emailed with the terms before needing to accept them.

So I cancel on the website. My card is charged $75, no confirmation email with the terms like they said there would be, and then a few hours later I get a credit for booking a flight to the same destination that must be booked by May 15th.

Any ideas on how to proceed? There is no flight to fly on. I am not just cancelling because of concerns over covid. I should be getting a refund and NOT paying $75 for a lousy credit I probably won't be able to use. I basically got scammed by the person on the phone into paying $75 and accepting a credit and probably losing my ability to dispute with my credit card.

I will also say that I had another passenger booked through travelocity.ca (expedia) for this trip, and they issued me a refund (although it was a real pain getting through to them, but much easier than FlightHub)
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3730 posts
2982 upvotes
Next time BOOK DIRECTLY WITH THE AIRLINE YOU'RE FLYING WITH (after joining their loyalty program if you weren't already a member). There, I just saved a bunch of bandwidth. This same thread has been repeated over and over again... when will you learn?
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11786 posts
9042 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Gotta agree with @EastGTARedFlagger
This stuff is a well known travel fact
Use a 3rd Party Discounter for Travel ... then you’ve got to deal with that middleman when things go off the rails
Little or no protection ... cuz your beef is with them not the Airline, Hotel, Cruise etc

At least when you book direct you end up on the “Creditors” list
Who the one at fault has to if not compensate ... at least listen to legally
Gives you leverage via your Credit Card (claw back for non deliverables)
And in Pax Compensation Cases, and in court

Either way ... however you book vacation elements

You also should consider Travel Insurance
(Preferably the REAL Kind ... not just the CC Freebie kind)

Especially so if you book far in advance (no one can predict the future)
Or have a lot of money riding on your travel plans

Tough lessons to learn
But best learned the younger you are so you can make better choices going forward for decades on end

NOTES - Flights are price regulated to a certain extent ... so there is very little difference no matter who you buy from
Travel Insurance is pretty cheap ... Trip Interruption & Cancellation runs about $ 10 / $ 100 of vacation costs
Travel Medical is even cheaper ... the younger you are ... a few bucks a day
Combine both into an Annual Pkg vs Pay By the Trip ... even cheaper
Money well spent.
Afterall it’s your HARD EARNED vacation hours & money at stake here ... doesn’t make sense to risk so much, when it costs so little to alleviate the pain if you should ever need it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8069 posts
1010 upvotes
Vancouver
Love how instead of giving advice this thread just loves kicking people when they’re down. Have some compassion

Help I got ota screwing me over!!

Rfd travel thread: same bs about well you should have boooked with the airline. Let me further tell you what you should have done.

Even if you’re right if you don’t Have something helpful to add. Don’t bother. Especially now where otherwise travel plans via ota would be smooth this whole debacle makes it hard for everyone. Especially novice travellers

Also even though I have access to air Canada priority line. It’s not working and a good travel agent (not online ota) probably has better access to air Canada then a 50k altitude *g member.

In these difficult times everyone needs to take their lecture hat off and help others.

Do you same snobs have any advice on what China should have down 6 months ago.

The nerve of the a holes on here

Air Canada a doesn’t give an f about their most loyal customers. I had to cancel flights on united and I coudl do so online. Easy
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3730 posts
2982 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Love how instead of giving advice this thread just loves kicking people when they’re down. Have some compassion
I have zero compassion for cheapskates who:

1- Book travel through third parties and get screwed
2- Buy NON-REFUNDABLE airfare WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE and come here crying for a refund
3- Get an expensive iPhone/Samsung ON CONTRACT WITH ZERO DOWN, cancel their service early, and come here crying foul because now they owe the cancellation fee/buyout of the full retail price of the phone
4- Fly with joke/ultra-lowcost airlines like Trashcan, Sunwing, Flair, Frontier, Ryanair, anything based in mainland China, airlines that are on the brink of bankruptcy, etc.... and it turns into a shitshow.
5- Buy Chinese-made garbage from Dollarama or Canadian Tire and cry foul when the thing breaks and the store refuses to refund them.

I could go on...

Two words to live by: CAVEAT EMPTOR. You wanna be cheap... you'll get what you paid for.
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Nov 1, 2001
626 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
If you go to flighthub Facebook page you will see the long list of unhappy customers
Feb 24, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I have zero compassion for cheapskates who:

1- Book travel through third parties and get screwed
2- Buy NON-REFUNDABLE airfare WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE and come here crying for a refund
3- Get an expensive iPhone/Samsung ON CONTRACT WITH ZERO DOWN, cancel their service early, and come here crying foul because now they owe the cancellation fee/buyout of the full retail price of the phone
4- Fly with joke/ultra-lowcost airlines like Trashcan, Sunwing, Flair, Frontier, Ryanair, anything based in mainland China, airlines that are on the brink of bankruptcy, etc.... and it turns into a shitshow.
5- Buy Chinese-made garbage from Dollarama or Canadian Tire and cry foul when the thing breaks and the store refuses to refund them.

I could go on...

Two words to live by: CAVEAT EMPTOR. You wanna be cheap... you'll get what you paid for.
I've booked vacations using Expedia for like 10 years and have never had an issue. You can't really plan for a pandemic. And even the credit card insurance I have is finding ways to claim the pandemic was a "known event" back in February when I booked which is ridiculous. This is a very unique situation and it's hard for most people to believe the airlines and insurance companies would be behaving this way. Even the fact that the airline itself cancelled the flight is not a good enough reason to get a refund, it's insane!
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
89 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary NW
queenbee000 wrote: I've booked vacations using Expedia for like 10 years and have never had an issue. You can't really plan for a pandemic. And even the credit card insurance I have is finding ways to claim the pandemic was a "known event" back in February when I booked which is ridiculous. This is a very unique situation and it's hard for most people to believe the airlines and insurance companies would be behaving this way. Even the fact that the airline itself cancelled the flight is not a good enough reason to get a refund, it's insane!
I was considering purchasing travel cancellation insurance back near the end of February, but I was figuring I would have the same problem you're having. My credit card doesn't have trip cancellation/interruption insurance, but it actually has better travel medical than any other card I've seen. It still covers you when traveling to countries with an travel advisory, as long as your medical claim is not related to the travel advisory. Every other card I've seen is no coverage period.

Expedia/Travelocity.ca gave me a full refund for the ticket that I had booked for another passenger for this same trip. Zero problems with Expedia and I will be using them again. It is just FlightHub that are being scamming scum
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5748 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
lurker07 wrote: My trip for the 21st has had a flight that has been cancelled with no alternatives since 12th. On the FlightHub website it seems like they are giving EVERYONE an option to cancel for a $75 fee and get a credit. There is no explanation of what this credit is. I've been trying to phone them since the 12th. Finally spoke to them today and they said my only option is to cancel on the website, even though in their policy from when I booked I should be eligible for a full refund for a cancelled flight.

I also tried to ask them over the phone what exactly the credit would be for, and they assured me I would be emailed with the terms before needing to accept them.

So I cancel on the website. My card is charged $75, no confirmation email with the terms like they said there would be, and then a few hours later I get a credit for booking a flight to the same destination that must be booked by May 15th.

Any ideas on how to proceed? There is no flight to fly on. I am not just cancelling because of concerns over covid. I should be getting a refund and NOT paying $75 for a lousy credit I probably won't be able to use. I basically got scammed by the person on the phone into paying $75 and accepting a credit and probably losing my ability to dispute with my credit card.

I will also say that I had another passenger booked through travelocity.ca (expedia) for this trip, and they issued me a refund (although it was a real pain getting through to them, but much easier than FlightHub)
I wonder why your credit card was charge? Was it supposed to be deduct $75 from the credit that will be given to you?

When you check your booking reference, did you see "tickets are refundable with a penalty fee"
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4306 posts
2671 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Gotta agree with @EastGTARedFlagger
This stuff is a well known travel fact
Use a 3rd Party Discounter for Travel ... then you’ve got to deal with that middleman when things go off the rails
Little or no protection ... cuz your beef is with them not the Airline, Hotel, Cruise etc

At least when you book direct you end up on the “Creditors” list
Who the one at fault has to if not compensate ... at least listen to legally
Gives you leverage via your Credit Card (claw back for non deliverables)
And in Pax Compensation Cases, and in court

Either way ... however you book vacation elements

You also should consider Travel Insurance
(Preferably the REAL Kind ... not just the CC Freebie kind)

Especially so if you book far in advance (no one can predict the future)
Or have a lot of money riding on your travel plans

Tough lessons to learn
But best learned the younger you are so you can make better choices going forward for decades on end

NOTES - Flights are price regulated to a certain extent ... so there is very little difference no matter who you buy from
Travel Insurance is pretty cheap ... Trip Interruption & Cancellation runs about $ 10 / $ 100 of vacation costs
Travel Medical is even cheaper ... the younger you are ... a few bucks a day
Combine both into an Annual Pkg vs Pay By the Trip ... even cheaper
Money well spent.
Afterall it’s your HARD EARNED vacation hours & money at stake here ... doesn’t make sense to risk so much, when it costs so little to alleviate the pain if you should ever need it
This. Is. The Reason. Why. I. Book. With. A Travel. Agent. Even in 2020. Not that expensivier, when not exactly the same price, but with SERVICE. Have an issue? Call travel agent, or, even better, can go in person have a chat with him. And, secondly, even if I have a travel credit card, I do not rely on their travel insurance service. I am lucky, I have collective travel insurance at work. But, if I would'nt I'd book from a real travel insurance agency. No chance to take when there is a lot of $$ involved. Last summer booked a cruis. Got medical issue, had to cancel. Thanks to Blue Cross for the full refund, no questions asked except the form filled by my doctor.. $5K back in my pocket.

Third party vendors (including Costco Travel) are not an option for me for a big trip planned long time in advance
Dec 31, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
I have been tempted but have managed to avoid going through them because of reviews. EXpedia, Orbtiz, Cheapoair, etc. are fine - depending on your experience. My preference is to book with the airline or Expedia etc. even if I end up paying a bit more. Many others have mentioned this on this and other forums. Hope it works out in your favor.
Apr 29, 2018
457 posts
253 upvotes
Couldn't you just get this money back from your CC company? The Westjet thread has some tips on that.
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
89 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary NW
kramer1 wrote: Couldn't you just get this money back from your CC company? The Westjet thread has some tips on that.
The problem with that is apparently if you paid for something over 180 days ago it is much harder to get the money back. Also because I was scammed into accepting the credit, they CC company can't really do anything. I'm probably going to give it a try anyways though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8372 posts
2337 upvotes
Mississauga
Just an FYI. That $75 is an 'admin' fee FlightHub (and other third parties) charges for any changes/cancellations. This charge is above and separate from airlines refund cancellation/change policies. This is how they make money. You can complain all you want, you won't get this $75 back.

This is what happens when you choose to book with third parties to save a few dollars, and not direct with the airline.

Check out TripAdvisor for all the negative reviews on FlightHub and other shady third parties.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
89 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary NW
Raggie wrote: Just an FYI. That $75 is an 'admin' fee FlightHub (and other third parties) charges for any changes/cancellations. This charge is above and separate from airlines refund cancellation/change policies. This is how they make money. You can complain all you want, you won't get this $75 back.

This is what happens when you choose to book with third parties to save a few dollars, and not direct with the airline.

Check out TripAdvisor for all the negative reviews on FlightHub and other shady third parties.
expedia gave me a full refund, which even the airlines aren't doing so you're flat out wrong