Travel

Flights to Africa are expensive. Tips on saving money?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 7:28 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1282 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 5:07 pm
Thanks, this is helpful.

I've never had a CC with travel rewards because I guess I assumed there would be stipulations that might prevent me from booking the exact flight I want. I might spend $2K per month. Can anyone recommend a travel rewards card that would help me subsidize the flight cost? I'd have maybe 9 months to collect points.
There's a credit card section where you may get better advice. Due to the business spendings I have, I've been to Africa twice on rewards with flights that would only cost me $300-400 in taxes. However, I am not sure you have enough time at this point. Availability is limited and you may not(or you may, doesn't hurt to try) have any seats left, 2-3 months prior.

Try TD Aeroplan card as it is free for the first year. Amex cards( Gold, Gold Business, Platinum, Platinum Business) also very good. Some of these are free for the first year as well. Sign up bonuses for 3 of these cards may be enough to buy 1 ticket. Post it in the Credit Card section for a better advice. There are also cards that can give you free hotel night stays (Marriott, Best Western, SPG,etc). You will likely not find any of those in Africa, Maybe 1 or 2 max in Johannesburg or/and Cape Town.

Enjoy your trip!
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Jan 8, 2012
333 posts
86 upvotes
Williams Lake
Here's a flight to JNB from Dublin, which can be reached from Canada fairly economically.

It's something to keep in mind--looking for flights from the USA or Europe to your destination, and then buying separate flight to connect to them.

Your text to link here...

This site, and a couple others--nextdeparture.ca, fly4free.com, yyzdeals.com--are worth tracking as they post deals.

Flyertalk.com is an excellent all-round source on all aspects of flying, including credit card churning.
May 7, 2017
207 posts
83 upvotes
Im doing JNB/NBO/VFA for $800 business class as a result of welcome bonus points in getting two cards. Economy less points
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6082 posts
1230 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 1:08 pm

Try TD Aeroplan card as it is free for the first year. Amex cards( Gold, Gold Business, Platinum, Platinum Business) also very good. Some of these are free for the first year as well. Sign up bonuses for 3 of these cards may be enough to buy 1 ticket. Post it in the Credit Card section for a better advice. There are also cards that can give you free hotel night stays (Marriott, Best Western, SPG,etc). You will likely not find any of those in Africa, Maybe 1 or 2 max in Johannesburg or/and Cape Town.

Enjoy your trip!
I'm flying to JNB with a layover on the way back thru IST using my AMEX/TD Aeroplan points for 130 all-in this October. Flying to JNB on Ethiopian Airlines; flying back thru EgyptAir and Turkish Airlines.

Doing a 2 day safari in Kruger and beaches/water safari in Mozambique.
Apr 4, 2017
97 posts
20 upvotes
you best bet is sign up fro American Express SPG card an Marriott Visa card. See what works because you can transfer points from spg to Marriott at 1-3 ratio. There are Marriott hotels all over the world now.