Travel

Flights with BMO WestJet Gold Airmiles???

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2007 11:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes

Flights with BMO WestJet Gold Airmiles???

I've built up a fair bit of airmiles (3500+), so I wanted to check out the rewards and see what I could get, and I'm definately at the amount where I can get something decent.

On a whim, I checked out their flights, as me and Ms. Impossibles had casually discussed a holiday this summer.

Airmiles.ca shows return flights from Vancouver to Newfoundland for 1600 airmiles during peak season??? Isn't that way too good to be true? Westjet.ca for similar flights come out to $1200. Even if you bought the airmiles from airmiles at 30 cents, that's only $480 return.

Sounds too good to be true...is it??
9 replies
Feb 10, 2007
855 posts
351 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Its not too good to be true as one of the benefits of the Westjet Air Miles Mastercard is that you can fly anywhere Westjet flies in the continental North America (no hawaii) for a maximum of 1600 Airmiles. So the deal is if you are going to use your Airmiles, go faaaaarrrrr. :lol:

They won't sell you that many Airmiles as well. I don't even think they will let you top up if you are short on the 1600 since you are getting such a great deal.

Great opportunity to get to the other ocean though if you otherwise couldn't afford it. I just cracked the 3200 Aimiles mark in the last few weeks and my wife and I will either head to Eastern Canada or Florida.

Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
Wow, awesome. I was about to order the kitchenaide mixer as I thought it was the best deal...now I'm getting a $2000 value vs a $400 value!!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure where you got your numbers but I checked Airmiles.ca and a trip Vancouver to Newfoundland is 3550 low season and 4500 high season (Westjet and Air Canada are the same). Is there some other site?
Also, Airmiles, you get 1 mile for every 20 dollars spent IAW http://www.flightnetwork.com/airlines/w ... iles.shtml and most places, excluding the occasional bonus events. Even if it was 1600 miles, that would mean you still needed to spend $32,000.00 on your card for the "free" flight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 16th, 2007 3:14 pm
Not sure where you got your numbers but I checked Airmiles.ca and a trip Vancouver to Newfoundland is 3550 low season and 4500 high season (Westjet and Air Canada are the same). Is there some other site?
Also, Airmiles, you get 1 mile for every 20 dollars spent IAW http://www.flightnetwork.com/airlines/w ... iles.shtml and most places, excluding the occasional bonus events. Even if it was 1600 miles, that would mean you still needed to spend $32,000.00 on your card for the "free" flight.
It might only show up if you have the westjet gold card.

I get double reward miles, first on the card, then 1 for ever $15 spent on my mastercard, which gets me about 100 airmiles a month. I also bank with BMO, so I get airmiles for a bunch of transactions. I got these 3500 in about 4 years, with a few rewards along the way (movie passes mostly).

I checked my last few month airmiles balances, and I average close to 200 airmiles a month, so in 16 months I can save 3200 airmiles. (I've only had the gold card for about 10 months)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
2 upvotes
I flew from the west coast to Halifax a couple summers ago for 1600 miles per person. Last year, I flew to Florida for 1400 miles per person during the off season. In general, the best redemption is for high season flights. Low season airfare is so cheap nowadays that you might as well pay cash for them and keep your points for travel that normally costs more money. You need the BMO Mosaik WestJet Gold Mastercard to book flights at these rates. It's the only reason why I have this credit card. For all other Air Miles collectors, they pay 3x the miles that we do to fly these routes.
Feb 10, 2007
855 posts
351 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 16th, 2007 3:14 pm
When Airmiles knows that you have the Westjet Mastercard, the rewards show up differently on the website.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
Did you guys have any problems making reservations? I hear nightmares about using airmiles.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6814 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
Impossibles wrote:
Feb 17th, 2007 6:18 pm
Did you guys have any problems making reservations? I hear nightmares about using airmiles.
I'm curious too....anyone?
Sep 20, 2006
235 posts
1 upvote
I had booked tickets with Airmiles from Toronto to San Fransico two years ago for 1600 airmiles and the transaction was pretty easy. I think you have to pay some money for insurance and airport taxes, etc. but that was expected.
× < >