• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2016 11:24 pm
Nov 25, 2008
829 posts
66 upvotes
YORK

flights to Fort Lauderdale

Hi i live in Toronto.

i booked cruise next March....is it too early to book flights to Fort Lauderdale?

In the past i had done driving over border to Buffalo, and fly from there. But this time what i see so far, i find that for a family of 4, the cost is not much different than flying directly from toronto.

thx
TC
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
Its going to depend if you are travelling during March break which is peak travel. There is Spirit and Allegiant from Niagara Falls in to Fort Lauderdale as well/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Airfares go up and down.

You may be able to get cheap fares from Buffalo from a small airline, but need to keep an eye on them still operating by the time you fly.

Also fuel price is the biggest expense, and oil price has been volatile. If it stays low, then prices may not go up. If oil goes up, airfare will go up.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1574 posts
476 upvotes
webworm wrote: Its going to depend if you are travelling during March break which is peak travel. There is Spirit and Allegiant from Niagara Falls in to Fort Lauderdale as well/
Yeah, OP just missed the huge Spirit 99% off sale. Not sure if it would have extended to trips in 2017, but prices were $80 USD roundtrip from IAG to FLL.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
Check the Southwest and Jetblue websites daily, even multiple times per day. I've booked direct flights to Fort Lauderdale from Buffalo for $129 only to see the price jump back up to $299 minutes after I booked.
Nov 25, 2008
829 posts
66 upvotes
YORK
Hi , i think probably i only check price everyday at Westjet (from Toronto) or southwest .

What i am worried is , if i wait too long, all the seats in the lowest class are gone.

thx

TC
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3661 posts
1080 upvotes
Whitby
spirit was a really cheap flight option out for us when we had a big group go for a cruise in fort lauderdale. My only gripe with it was the odd flying times. We flew down to fort lauderdale very early (3am) and came back really late (11pm).

I believe you do save a good amount in comparison to flying out of pearson. Parking and just the general size of the airport made everything very easy to get down.
Aug 24, 2016
2 posts
Try Sunwing and Air Transat!
Last Feb we caught a sunwing flight to FLL for $200 return.
Apr 11, 2006
209 posts
36 upvotes
If you have booked the cruise around March break, you will only see prices rise. I am cruising from FLL next March break and watched prices for flights from YYZ for a little awhile and while they bounced around a little bit they generally kept increasing so I booked them a few months ago.

We fly to FLL a fair bit and I have found that there are very minimal savings any longer if you fly from BUF to FLL during peak Canadian travel times, like March break for example. If you travel off peak then you can travel more cheaply from BUF, however, you don't see the amazing deals out of BUF that we used to get a few years ago...
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
don't forget thet www.spirit.com flies to FLL out of IAG which is Niagara Falls airport, it's a 2 am flight that puts you in very early and the return flight returns you late. I guess bad for kids but good for cheap folks maximizing vacation time. IAG airport (Niagara Falls International) which shouldn't be confused with BUF is closer to Canada and your likely the only flight out at that time so its even quieter than Buffalo.

Ps if in Fort Lauderdale check out www.15streetfisheries.com some locals gave us this advice, you'd never stumble over this place.
Autocorrect sucks