Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario

Floor insulation between floors question

Wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience in this.

Our house was built around 1955. It's a 1.5 story. So there is access to the area behind the half walls on the second floor. From in there I have found that the old insulation batting was put in the floor joist under the second floor flooring (pine floor). The cavity runs from one side of the house to the other, which is from one crawl space to the other.

During the winter, especially when its windy, the second floor gets quite cool. I'm wondering if cold air is running through the floor between the joists and getting through the floors. Although there is insulation all the way, there is nothing solid at either end or in the middle. No vapour barrier (tar paper in areas).

What I'm considering is blocking each of these bays at each end of the house using rigid foam and spray foam (or cut wood. But the foam would be easier). Would this be a waste of my time? Will this increase my risk for mold as it will change how the house breathes?

Maybe I should just save up for a more efficient furnace and ac and it wouldn't bother me as much. I just hate drafts!

Thoughts?

Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
how is the insulation in your attic? maybe you are losing heat through there?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
ziaa wrote: how is the insulation in your attic? maybe you are losing heat through there?
Could be. It's been blown in ontop of the original insulation. Same with in the crawl spaces.

The half walls have tar paper backed Fiberglas insulation. Since these are accessible maybe spray foam should be done.

The agled walls feel quite cold in the winter. To the touch. But I cantvreally get behind them.

Thing is there is so many drafts all over that this is probably a never ending project. Lol.

Just would be nice if the second floor was more comfortable in the summer and winter as that's our bedroom.