• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2017 1:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 12, 2016
33 posts
2 upvotes

which flour to buy?

Which flour/aata indian community in toronto prefers which makes soft roti/chappati?

I bought Golden Temple Wheat Atta Flour before but the the dough was hard, i know I made it correct as i followed youtube's multiple videos but it looks like the flour was not of good quality.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2780 posts
539 upvotes
AbdulR388006 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:20 am
Which flour/aata indian community in toronto prefers which makes soft roti/chappati?

I bought Golden Temple Wheat Atta Flour before but the the dough was hard, i know I made it correct as i followed youtube's multiple videos but it looks like the flour was not of good quality.
Not sure what you mean by hard but I have used this flour many times to make roti and it seems to work fine. Could be that the flour you bought was old or defective (perhaps a coarse grind or exceptionally branny). Some people mix the flour with other types of flour before blending but I now grind my own hard wheat kernels in a flour mill and use that.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14272 posts
1018 upvotes
Wouldn't it be prudent to OT buy any right now with the recall?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2615 posts
268 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:02 am
Wouldn't it be prudent to OT buy any right now with the recall?
Those who know, know that the recall is a false flag operation perpetuated by the "big gluten-free" food product corporations.
Sep 19, 2013
790 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
as someone who learnt from scratch and mastered the art of roti making, here are some pro-tips -

- stick with any good whole wheat atta. whole wheat is good for health over durum atta. we buy Golden Temple whole wheat, its priced more than durum, but its good.
- roti making requires many things to go right, and if any one thing goes wrong, the product gets messed up. moreover, its difficult to tell what went wrong.
- its difficult to learn watching youtube or online instructions. but if you have no other source, then dont try to follow the exact measurements from the video. instead try to make your atta similar to what they tell you in the video.
so lets take your case, in the video if they are telling you to make the atta of specific softness and you follow the measurements but yours is coming out to be hard. then focus on the softness and add a little water. every atta is different and also there are other factors like how you kneed, the weather, how long you kept it, if you added oil, salt, etc.

in any case, you need a little practice. also make the roti on high flame. all the best.