Students

Flunked out of first year university due to family problems, PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2014 10:56 am
Apr 19, 2014
7 posts
mississauga,on

Flunked out of first year university due to family problems, PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE.

Hello everyone,

So I attended Ryerson University for Accounting this past year, and unfortunately I was placed on academic probation first semester and I still won't be meeting the requirements so I'll be getting kicked out. Their is a fresh start program for people who are place on Required to Withdraw status but my marks also don't meet the requirements for that. The reason for my failure in school has nothing to do with this not being the right program or me not having the right intellect or work ethic. Simply put, many private family issues arose. I was forced to look after younger siblings (Rather not go into detail), work extra hours for my family has health concerns for my mother arose and my father had to leave the country to attend to some business. I was pretty much depressed and with this extra pressure I just couldn't properly intergrate into the university setting. First semester, I was able to keep up with course work and midterms but barely getting by, then I completely bombed finals. Placed on academic probation, but then my private life got even more insane. Found myself unable to sleep and constantly under anxiety and stress. I took less courses as per my probation contract, but my marks won't be as high as required. I sent an e-mail to a program advisor who told me I would be kicked out. I can apply for reinstatement after a year of no studies but chances are extremely slim that I will be admitted. I failed almost every course. I just need help, and please believe me when I say for a fact I am capable and willing to do well. This year was just to much, in high school I was pretty sheltered so a lot of the new things about university got to me I guess. The freedom made me feel as if I always had enough time to balance everything but I underestimated it, the independence was also something new. Constant pressure at home as well. If I were to take this summer and the fall semester off and continue in winter 2015, I can get everything back on track. Please give me advice?

I still havent begged the university or even told them what has happened to me in person, so should I consider begging them? If they still don't let me in what should I do? Is there any place I can upgrade marks or something like going to sheridan for a year? I was taking a lighter load in second semester but other stuff got too hectic and I still underestimated my capabilities. I know I should have taken advantage of the counsellors or just taken the semester off but I messed up so please don't tell me what I could have done, I just really need advice. I have an appointment with an advisor next week.unive
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I went through a similar experience. I did not get kicked out of university, but I basically didn't meet the GPA cutoff for the program I wanted, so all the courses I took that year towards it became semi-useless. I ended up incurring $13k of debt for a lost cause. Had family and personal issues.

Universities usually aren't very forgiving about these matters. Home pressure sucks, especially if you are Asian. I used to get it all the time- so much that I left to another province to clear my mind and work.

You'd probably have to start over at another college, and then transfer into university again. There are tons of other great universities aside from Ryerson so I would not fright. You mentioned accounting, so I'm assuming it's an undergrad business program. Most colleges offer the first year business program courses so finding them wouldn't be too difficult.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Apr 19, 2014
7 posts
mississauga,on
Thank you so much for replying! May I ask if you know whether or not I could just take a few courses at a college for say a year and then re-apply to Ryerson or any university in general?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
OKAY- the problem here is that you were unable to use the time to study effectively. This is a given, you would obviously fail if you did not study for the exam properly.

You should have stopped your studies during that time and re-evaluate your situation, you just dug yourself into a bigger hole! Did you really think that you could pass a course without sufficient studying?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
billyT1337 wrote: Thank you so much for replying! May I ask if you know whether or not I could just take a few courses at a college for say a year and then re-apply to Ryerson or any university in general?
That is precisely what you can do.

Different universities have different first year courses for their business programs, but generally they're similar. In my BCOMM back in the day it was something like this:

Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Macroeconomics
Calculus
English
--- --- ---
Intro to Marketing
Intro to Human Resource Management
Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Intro to Management Information Systems
Intro to Finance
Intro to Marketing

I'd say the first 4 are usually the most important and most universities require those to be done prior to transferring into Year 2. On top of my head I know UBC and U of T require them, as I was admitted to both but picked UBC. Some universities let you put off the others until your 2nd year. So what you do is take those courses (plus some electives if you put off the other business courses), do the best you can, and apply to multiple universities as a transfer student.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Apr 19, 2014
7 posts
mississauga,on
After the drop date I assumed I would have enough time to at least meet my probationary contract, honestly I don't have an excuse and don't know what was going through my head. You're right, I just dug a big ditch for myself, but what's done is done, and I just really need some advice on what the next step I take should be.
Jan 14, 2013
279 posts
273 upvotes
I too went through a similar experience, but in my case I was kicked out. Not something I am proud of since I never finished my university degree :( I know I am smart but due to my situation it was a blessing: I took adult ed courses at my local university to take courses at night during the next year and re-evaluate my situation. While there I realized that my heart was not in it, and thats when I focused on gaining experience outside of an educational institution. I am really happy I did - I love my career, even without my university degree. PM me privately if you have any other questions.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1755 posts
258 upvotes
Ontario
OP, sorry to hear about your circumstances. Each year, there are plenty of first years who struggle in the transition to university so do note you are not alone.

I would listen carefully to what your advisor would say next week about your situation. On the date the school posts grades on RAMSS, you will see your academic standing and you may be likely be required to withdraw based on the given info. You will also receive a email that includes procedures for those with RTW status and you need to discuss the situation with the other advisors as well.

Here is more information about reinstating: http://www.ryerson.ca/currentstudents/a ... reinstate/

EDIT: You may also want to look into this link as well: http://www.ryerson.ca/tedrogersschool/b ... index.html
Apr 19, 2014
7 posts
mississauga,on
Thanks for the advice! Do you know how flexible the university would be if I told them my circumstances?
Nov 14, 2012
57 posts
6 upvotes
MARKHAM
billyT1337 wrote: Thanks for the advice! Do you know how flexible the university would be if I told them my circumstances?
Every university will ask for documentation.

Your situation is common, where you experienced family issues- you should have put school on pause ---and then we have another group of people who flunk out because of their capabilities.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1755 posts
258 upvotes
Ontario
The advisors will provide you with proper guidance on your available options. As mentioned beforehand, listen closely to their recommendations. Hang in there!
Apr 19, 2014
7 posts
mississauga,on
Thanks for replying, do you mind telling me what you mean by documentation?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2095 posts
129 upvotes
North York
My friend was put on probation before. He did Nursing at Ryerson and he did not make the cut off grade. He also had a whole bunch of things going on at home that impacted his school work. He took the year off. Took care of some of his personal issues. Put more hours into his part-time work to feel like he is not wasting his time. To get into his program, he met with an adviser to help him with the petition process. You just have to document that you had some personal issues and how you dealt with it as you need to demonstrate that whatever caused for you to do poorly would less likely to happen again. For him, it was depression and not being able to adjust to university life. He went to counselling and group support programs that the school ran. And so that was what he wrote in his mini-essay.

It is not the end of the world. My bio prof shared that in her first year, she got a D average. It is quite common for first-year students to screw up. Her recommendation is to reflect on what you did wrong and build better habits into not repeating those mistakes again and to study better. She was able to finish her degree in 4 years with a high A GPA. Your advisor will definitely walk you through the process. Remember that schools want (and need) your money. They will give you a second (or third) chance as long as you don't screw up too badly (ie. continually flunking courses). If this is the field that you really want to get into then don't give up. Actually, looking back on my university decision, I should have went into a program with a co-op or internship option or go to a college program that has a job placement and university bridging option. Many people in my program have done this and they seem to have better studying habits and they have the advantage of working in the field. The Seneca route isn't a bad idea either. Plan your steps well. See this experience as a wake-up call. It is certainly not the end of your university career.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
A family friend of mine works at a university, and while I feel bad for OP, you should also realize that what you're describing is not at all uncommon. Lots of people flunk out of school - some are obviously just lazy, and others could be a combination of needing adjustments and personal issues. I don't mean that the university won't believe you, but when you hear as many stories as they do, they become kind of jaded. Tons of people come back with sob stories after flunking out, so I'm going to say that your personal story to them is probably not going to help much.

I don't know if you would have proof that you've been depressed about your home situation for a while (hence leading to your bad performance in school).
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
67 upvotes
OP, you may want to clear up your personal issues first and the university will certainly ask you what plan of action do you have in order to address your personal issues.

If all else fails, have you thought about considering a skill trade or better yet join the Canadian Forces where they will subsidize your education in exchange for years of service. Not saying you should go into combat though.
Feb 26, 2008
50 posts
toronto
billyT1337 wrote: Hello everyone,

So I attended Ryerson University for Accounting this past year, and unfortunately I was placed on academic probation first semester and I still won't be meeting the requirements so I'll be getting kicked out. Their is a fresh start program for people who are place on Required to Withdraw status but my marks also don't meet the requirements for that. The reason for my failure in school has nothing to do with this not being the right program or me not having the right intellect or work ethic. Simply put, many private family issues arose. I was forced to look after younger siblings (Rather not go into detail), work extra hours for my family has health concerns for my mother arose and my father had to leave the country to attend to some business. I was pretty much depressed and with this extra pressure I just couldn't properly intergrate into the university setting. First semester, I was able to keep up with course work and midterms but barely getting by, then I completely bombed finals. Placed on academic probation, but then my private life got even more insane. Found myself unable to sleep and constantly under anxiety and stress. I took less courses as per my probation contract, but my marks won't be as high as required. I sent an e-mail to a program advisor who told me I would be kicked out. I can apply for reinstatement after a year of no studies but chances are extremely slim that I will be admitted. I failed almost every course. I just need help, and please believe me when I say for a fact I am capable and willing to do well. This year was just to much, in high school I was pretty sheltered so a lot of the new things about university got to me I guess. The freedom made me feel as if I always had enough time to balance everything but I underestimated it, the independence was also something new. Constant pressure at home as well. If I were to take this summer and the fall semester off and continue in winter 2015, I can get everything back on track. Please give me advice?

I still havent begged the university or even told them what has happened to me in person, so should I consider begging them? If they still don't let me in what should I do? Is there any place I can upgrade marks or something like going to sheridan for a year? I was taking a lighter load in second semester but other stuff got too hectic and I still underestimated my capabilities. I know I should have taken advantage of the counsellors or just taken the semester off but I messed up so please don't tell me what I could have done, I just really need advice. I have an appointment with an advisor next week.unive

First of all sorry to hear bout your family problems , I have dealt with similar issues myself and can sympathize with you . There were instances when I have left home , stayed with other family and even studied overnight in my University . Thankfully I was able to finish it all and finally achieved what I wanted in life. Firstly , ask yourself , why do you want to go to Uni ? is about prestige or about chances of having a good job in the future ? If it is about job , Universities arent the only option ! Have you considered going into trades ? apprenticeships ?
If you are into academics an thats the way you want to proceed , I have numerous examples around where my friends or people I knew did not go straight into University but first went to college. Yes might take you an year extra but until your life gets sorted out and you get in a proper state , college wouldnt pressurize you as much. Go from college into a Uni , consider some trades as a career would be my best advice ! Good Luck mate !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)