Tags:
None
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario

Flying with a Digital SLR Camera?

Hey,

I've booked a flight and want to bring my digital SLR Camera with me. What is the best way to carry it? Put it in Carry On or Check Baggage? Is there a way I should wrap it?

Thanks
Winners in 2009
May 3, 2009 - Bruce Springsteen Tickets Sept 1, 2009 - Maple Leaf Pre-Season Tickets
32 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2556 posts
1619 upvotes
Always put in carry on and keep the bag near you. I usually put it under the chair in front of me instead of putting it in the overhead bin where someone else could squish it with their luggage. (I keep in a small lowepro bag that's inside of a larger carryon on bag loaded with other valuables) It was pass through the x-ray fine and no need to worry about digital memory being affected.

Never check it in since it could get damaged/stolen. They're really rough when loading checked luggage at airports. Putting anything expensive in checked luggage is a recipe for trouble.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7385 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
soupnazi wrote: Never check it in since it could get damaged/stolen. They're really rough when loading checked luggage at airports. Putting anything expensive in checked luggage is a recipe for trouble.
Agreed. Especially when travelling to US, the TSA is known to steal things from the checked in luggages.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
Darn. I thought this thread was going to be about skydiving with a DSLR. Now THAT I am interested in.

In response to your actual question yes bring the camera in your carry on or it may be damaged or stolen.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario
Any special Packing procedures? I mean Bubble wrap the lenses? Etc?
Winners in 2009
May 3, 2009 - Bruce Springsteen Tickets Sept 1, 2009 - Maple Leaf Pre-Season Tickets
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
N1Hawk wrote: Any special Packing procedures? I mean Bubble wrap the lenses? Etc?
If you're bringing it with you onto the plane, then you should probably just pack it as you normally would... Unless you're worried about putting it in the compartments above the seats, but I don't think you should do that anyway. I usually have my camera bag with me on my lap or between my feet on the ground.

Another thing to consider is filling out those customs forms to prove that you brought all the gear with you as you went on the trip to avoid any troubles with customs questioning the origin of your gear when you come back.
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario
Where would I have to fill out these Customs Forms out? I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and Houston to Calgary?

malaujai wrote: If you're bringing it with you onto the plane, then you should probably just pack it as you normally would... Unless you're worried about putting it in the compartments above the seats, but I don't think you should do that anyway. I usually have my camera bag with me on my lap or between my feet on the ground.

Another thing to consider is filling out those customs forms to prove that you brought all the gear with you as you went on the trip to avoid any troubles with customs questioning the origin of your gear when you come back.
Winners in 2009
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4411 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure it's on your carry-on, and if it's a short flight just put it in a bag and put in near you (I usually put it by my feet). I'm afraid of it getting squished or stolen in the overhead compartment.

I flew international many times with my gear, don't worry about the customs thing. As long as your gear doesn't look new (eg still in boxes and packaging etc) then they won't harrass you about it, because it's pretty obvious they're just personal belongings.
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
May 19, 2009
2482 posts
256 upvotes
North York
VorteC wrote: Make sure it's on your carry-on, and if it's a short flight just put it in a bag and put in near you (I usually put it by my feet). I'm afraid of it getting squished or stolen in the overhead compartment.

I flew international many times with my gear, don't worry about the customs thing. As long as your gear doesn't look new (eg still in boxes and packaging etc) then they won't harrass you about it, because it's pretty obvious they're just personal belongings.
VorteC I really hope so :)
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario
Well it def does not look new, I'm going to throw my camera bag in with my carry on if i can fit it or should I just throw all my camera gear without the camera bag into my carry on? I'm allowed 1 Carry on.
Winners in 2009
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
1139 posts
405 upvotes
N1Hawk wrote: Well it def does not look new, I'm going to throw my camera bag in with my carry on if i can fit it or should I just throw all my camera gear without the camera bag into my carry on? I'm allowed 1 Carry on.
Even if you are only allowed one carry on it shouldn't matter. I believe Canadian flights are now allowing 2 carry ons for all destinations.
and even then Camera bags are considered personal items and don't count toward carry ons.
but you should really look at the catsa site and go from there to get the best info.

If you are concerned about the gear getting questioned about its source of origin, just take the gear down to the local CBSA and have them write you up a little card listing your equipment and serial numbers. I've done that with new laptops. to make sure they don't ding me on the way home.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
if it's made by GE or Kodak ...check it for luck :D
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Dec 3, 2007
435 posts
62 upvotes
You should be allowed a separate bag with your camera, as a personal item. One carry on plus one personal item. I flew to Europe through the States last month and they allowed it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1248.shtm

[QUOTE]You may carry one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one (1) carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening checkpoint. The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's carry-on restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air carrier's restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

Air carriers may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your air carrier prior to arriving at the airport.

Our screening equipment will not affect digital cameras and electronic image storage cards.[/QUOTE]
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
Pro-Tip: Some professional photographers in the US get starter pistols (they're used for starting races by firing blanks), and carry them with them whenever they need to fly with photography equipment. By checking a 'gun' in with their equipment, it ensures the baggage is carefully handled to prevent breakage, protected against theft by baggage handlers (they don't get to go anywhere near it), and guarantees special privileges if the contents are lost, damaged, or stolen (airlines might not care if a laptop gets stolen, but a registered gun? they'll fight tooth and nail to get it back). Not sure if this is possible for Canadians, but considering there are some Americans on here, consider that next time you fly.

For those Canadians / normal people, ALWAYS bring it as carry on. Have you ever seen how they treat people's bags? It's great and all that the airline might pay to replace a broken lens, but that can take weeks, and if you're on a trip, you aren't going to be able to get another lens necessarily if yours broke.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
I brought my Lowepro Computrekker AW backpack fully loaded with the laptop in the back as carry-on on my trip to SE Asia. 18 hour flight - you just have to.

At each checkpoint they just ask you take out the laptop and turn it on, that's all.

[IMG]http://www.jafaphotography.com/images/eq/LPCTBKAW.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
N1Hawk wrote: Where would I have to fill out these Customs Forms out? I'm flying from Cleveland to Houston and Houston to Calgary?

If it's just a body+kit lens just keep your original invoice or a copy of it on your person/ you actually should only fill out the form if you carry a huge bag of gear like a working professional.

The custom form (Y38) to fill out is at the customs office, far left of the terminal floor...both terminals it far left of the departure levels.

Some general info for travelling:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... ng.html#s2
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21828 posts
15583 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
VorteC wrote: I flew international many times with my gear, don't worry about the customs thing. As long as your gear doesn't look new (eg still in boxes and packaging etc) then they won't harrass you about it, because it's pretty obvious they're just personal belongings.
It's a crap shoot. I think your point of origin rather than how the equipment looks will determine the level of harassment you will receive. The customs guys aren't dumb... they know where the worst offenders come from and the tricks they use - like dumping the boxes where you purchased it to avoid customs.

Spend the 5 minutes at a customs office and get the card. It's simple and easy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21828 posts
15583 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pmc wrote: If it's just a body+kit lens just keep your original invoice or a copy of it on your person/ you actually should only fill out the form if you carry a huge bag of gear like a working professional.
Customs doesn't care about the invoice... they just care if you filled out the card and it's stamped. They figure that if you got it into the country the first time, then the taxes and assorted cost have already been paid. Besides, I can make a more "professional" receipt at home than some of the ones I get at the store!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: Customs doesn't care about the invoice... they just care if you filled out the card and it's stamped. They figure that if you got it into the country the first time, then the taxes and assorted cost have already been paid. Besides, I can make a more "professional" receipt at home than some of the ones I get at the store!
A customs supervisor told me, if i have just a simple camera or DSLR body and lens especially if newly purchased locally just keep the invoice on you, when i got my new pentax gear body/4 lenses i just kept the invoice in the bag....no one asked about it's origins while i travelled to Hi, SF, LA, Fl and back to TO a 3 week trip... :idea: only 1 customs officer stamped my passport :confused:
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario
Thanks for all the info, I have a lowerpro bag for my camera, Should I take my memory card out of the camera before it goes through the scanner as it might affect the memory card?
Winners in 2009

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)