• Mar 9th, 2017 1:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2244 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto

Flying a large breed to South America

I'll be flying my 3 year old Doberman to Ecuador in June. I'll flying him into Quito, where I am.

Has anyone used a formal pet concierge service company to assist with the logistics?
I'm looking for a someone who can handle this process for me, price isn't a factor.

I'm trying not to think about the "what ifs", as I just want my baby boy to be here with me. :(
He won't be flying back (Toronto) anytime soon, as I live here so it's a one shot thing.

I was looking at petrelocate.com, but would like personal recommendations and feedback.
Has anyone used these services?
Experiences?

(I don't need info on sedatives, meds for my dog during flight - I'm fully versed on stress reduction protocols, ect)
4 replies
Nov 20, 2008
693 posts
73 upvotes
Price not a factor? Fly back to Toronto, rent a private Jet and fly back with him sitting beside you. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2948 posts
436 upvotes
MrsPotato - I do not have any experience with petrelocate.com but I have heard of them. However, I did look them up and noted immediately one of the other companies that it runs and I stopped right there. We almost used the other company about 7 years ago for a different reason and alarm bells started ringing - I was right by the way.

However that does not mean that petrelocate is not operated by a different group of people. I know there is also Animals Away (not sure if they operate from Canada but the site does say that it will transport pets from any destination).

I have met show dogs who were being transported in cargo although their owners were usually with them. Unfortunately, I do not think you are going to be able to find a direct flight. AC offers a flight - with a change - on Rouge.

I personally know 2 dogs who were moved from Toronto to London via AC. They flew alone but were taken to the airport by a trusted friend. The same with dogs who were transported from Columbia S.A. to Toronto.

Perhaps your vet might know of a good company or one of your (former?) clients in Toronto.

I hope that you are able to find someone to take care of your pup. I understand how worried you must be about the whole process.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5122 posts
652 upvotes
South of Ottawa
1C5 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 5:19 pm
Price not a factor? Fly back to Toronto, rent a private Jet and fly back with him sitting beside you. :)
While this would be a bit beyond "price is no object", you may actually want to look into jet charters MrsPotato. If there are charters coming in from Toronto, perhaps there is a passenger willing to fly with your dog (in cabin). Doesn't hurt to call a few private charter companies to ask the question. There are also empty leg flights if you can luck into finding one, that are fairly inexpensive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2244 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:15 am
MrsPotato - I do not have any experience with petrelocate.com but I have heard of them. However, I did look them up and noted immediately one of the other companies that it runs and I stopped right there. We almost used the other company about 7 years ago for a different reason and alarm bells started ringing - I was right by the way.

However that does not mean that petrelocate is not operated by a different group of people. I know there is also Animals Away (not sure if they operate from Canada but the site does say that it will transport pets from any destination).

I have met show dogs who were being transported in cargo although their owners were usually with them. Unfortunately, I do not think you are going to be able to find a direct flight. AC offers a flight - with a change - on Rouge.

I personally know 2 dogs who were moved from Toronto to London via AC. They flew alone but were taken to the airport by a trusted friend. The same with dogs who were transported from Columbia S.A. to Toronto.

Perhaps your vet might know of a good company or one of your (former?) clients in Toronto.

I hope that you are able to find someone to take care of your pup. I understand how worried you must be about the whole process.
Yes that's correct - no direct - the quickest is through Miami, which isn't all that bad but .... sigh/ still a lot for the guy to go through with the plane changes!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel