Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB

Flying meat across country

Im flying from AB to ON next week and hope to do so with only carry on. I promised my ON friend to bring some AB beef jerky. I bought some this morning and had it vacuum packed. The lady in the store told me about another lady who tried bringing jerky into ON and the meat was confiscated at the security check.
Seems kind of weird to me, as I won't cross the international border, but is it really possible they will take it away?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
knuks101 wrote: Im flying from AB to ON next week and hope to do so with only carry on. I promised my ON friend to bring some AB beef jerky. I bought some this morning and had it vacuum packed. The lady in the store told me about another lady who tried bringing jerky into ON and the meat was confiscated at the security check.
Seems kind of weird to me, as I won't cross the international border, but is it really possible they will take it away?
If it is over 100 ml, foods need to go in checked luggage.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/liquids-food-per ... strictions
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
I highly doubt you'd have any problem. but to be safe, its always easier in checked luggage.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'm in SK...my son recently traveled overseas...he stopped in Toronto and had no issues at all with his food items which included a whole package of beef jerky. Liquids and gels are their main concern as far as I can tell with food items.
Jan 1, 2007
384 posts
62 upvotes
CATSA has no mandate to seize meat, drugs or anything that customs or law enforcement would care about. If the meat was in fact seized by CATSA, which I doubt, it must have been filled with liquid for some reason, otherwise they would not look twice.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
SomeOtherDude wrote: I highly doubt you'd have any problem. but to be safe, its always easier in checked luggage.
I won't have checked luggage.

According to that CATSA page, you can bring meats in carry on and checked luggage, and 'it's not subject to volume restrictions'.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)