• Aug 7th, 2017 2:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
310 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton

Flying with my dog

Hi. I have 15lbs mini eskimo and I want to take her to NS from AB (5hr flying time)

Im not sure if i shoud take her to cabin or cargo.
She can barely fit under the seat but the soft case that she has to stay in is really tight. She might be more confortable staying in her crate. It will be early Oct so it wont be too hot or cold.

Also I wil fly with westjet which i think way better than aircanada and united.

But again I am pretty nervous flying her as a cargo.

If you were in my situation what would you do?

She is a scary dog but she usually behaves well when I am around.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3164 posts
1162 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
What do you mean when you say she is a scary dog?

To answer your question I would avoid flying my dog if at all possible. My dog is also about 15lb (Jack Russell) and probably 11-12" at shoulder? I would never stuff him under a seat at his size. Especially not for 5 hour flight. As far as going cargo, that isn't a risk I am willing to take. Others do, but I would not. We drove across country with our dog when we moved from Victoria to Ottawa.

Is this for a vacation or are you moving? If a vacation I would find a dogsitter and leave the dog home where it will be much happier.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
310 posts
27 upvotes
Edmonton
Chickinvic wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 12:46 pm
What do you mean when you say she is a scary dog?

To answer your question I would avoid flying my dog if at all possible. My dog is also about 15lb (Jack Russell) and probably 11-12" at shoulder? I would never stuff him under a seat at his size. Especially not for 5 hour flight. As far as going cargo, that isn't a risk I am willing to take. Others do, but I would not. We drove across country with our dog when we moved from Victoria to Ottawa.

Is this for a vacation or are you moving? If a vacation I would find a dogsitter and leave the dog home where it will be much happier.
Sorry i meant she got scared of everything . Specially other dogs and someone she never met.

We left her to private dog sitters twice(two diffrrent sitters with good reviews) and she didnt do well and got sick both times.

Thats why I want to bring her with me this time.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3164 posts
1162 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hogujak wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 1:19 pm
Sorry i meant she got scared of everything . Specially other dogs and someone she never met.

We left her to private dog sitters twice(two diffrrent sitters with good reviews) and she didnt do well and got sick both times.

Thats why I want to bring her with me this time.
I think she will be better off not flying. I would try to find a better dogsitter. Did the sitter come stay at your house or did the dog have to leave their usual environment? We have one (university student) and she comes and stays at our house with the dogs and they love her to death.

PS - Our dog was flown to us when we first got him and he was completely traumatized by the experience. Ever since he would never use a crate (the breeder had crate trained him). He won't even get into a dog house without a door that closes - that's how scared he was. He freaks out if we drive to the airport to pick someone up!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2301 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
Read the specific airlines policy on dogs.
It's always outlined on their websites. EAch airline has different specs. Read them very closely.

Along with the necessary documentation; ie. proof of vaccinations, ect. Required.

If you want to bring your dog, it will need to fit
In a soft carrier; size specs as per each airline. The dog will remain in the carrier (or be able to), must be calm & quiet, no barking, air snapping at other dogs/people and/or animal must be under your control at all times. OR, it goes in an airline approved plastic crate and into cargo. It's safe enough, but of course, there's always risk of something happening. And also keep in mind the noise down jdner the plane ... they are left alone with a "check in" by a flight attendant every few hours

You will be paying a premium of 200-350$ to ship your dog, and you'll be picking your dog up in the live cargo area. At Pearson, it's not even in the airport. Its a building about 15 min drive from the actual airport.
So it's often not a streamlined process.

As mentioned above, I would NOT stress your dog out further by bringing it on a plane if it's not absolutely necessary. That experience is going to be extremely stressful for your already high anxiety dog. The noise, crowds of people, babies crying, cramped in small places, in a soft carrier /
---
This is something you build up towards. Conditioning a dog to be comfortable on a plane can be a long process.

I brought my Doberman on a flight from
Toronto > Miami, Miami > Ecuador and I couldn't believe the number of small "therapy dogs" (with obviously fake service dog harnesses/vests) that we're snapping, lunging and barking at my dog at each airport.

Do your dog a favour, and don't do it.
I only did because my dog is a very calm dog and a registered emotional support animal. And I was moving here, to Ecuador. I don't plan on flying with him anytime soon. It's so stressful, even for the human!!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3400 posts
437 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 10:31 pm
Read the specific airlines policy on dogs.
It's always outlined on their websites. EAch airline has different specs. Read them very closely.

Along with the necessary documentation; ie. proof of vaccinations, ect. Required.

If you want to bring your dog, it will need to fit
In a soft carrier; size specs as per each airline. The dog will remain in the carrier (or be able to), must be calm & quiet, no barking, air snapping at other dogs/people and/or animal must be under your control at all times. OR, it goes in an airline approved plastic crate and into cargo. It's safe enough, but of course, there's always risk of something happening. And also keep in mind the noise down jdner the plane ... they are left alone with a "check in" by a flight attendant every few hours

You will be paying a premium of 200-350$ to ship your dog, and you'll be picking your dog up in the live cargo area. At Pearson, it's not even in the airport. Its a building about 15 min drive from the actual airport.
So it's often not a streamlined process.

As mentioned above, I would NOT stress your dog out further by bringing it on a plane if it's not absolutely necessary. That experience is going to be extremely stressful for your already high anxiety dog. The noise, crowds of people, babies crying, cramped in small places, in a soft carrier /
---
This is something you build up towards. Conditioning a dog to be comfortable on a plane can be a long process.

I brought my Doberman on a flight from
Toronto > Miami, Miami > Ecuador and I couldn't believe the number of small "therapy dogs" (with obviously fake service dog harnesses/vests) that we're snapping, lunging and barking at my dog at each airport.

Do your dog a favour, and don't do it.
I only did because my dog is a very calm dog and a registered emotional support animal. And I was moving here, to Ecuador. I don't plan on flying with him anytime soon. It's so stressful, even for the human!!
I am sure that at T3 you can pick your dog (they will bring it to you) at same place where you get your suitcase ... and yes cargo means the dog will be under plane in the cage - I would think much more stressful then in the cabin with you ... but who knows ...