Flying out of Hamilton

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2017 9:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2016
36 posts
6 upvotes

Flying out of Hamilton

We are about to book a holiday over Christmas. Our choices are to fly out of Toronto at 9am or fly out of Hamilton at 6am. We will have children with us (8,10,13). I hear Hamilton is easier. Anyone ever flown out of Hamilton and Toronto that can give me their comparison?

I know there is parking at the Hamilton airport but my travel agent didn't think we could prebook it. I'm nervous about hoping to have a spot on one of the busiest times of year for travel. Can anyone tell me if I can prebook it or what I could do if it's full?

Or is there an option I'm not considering for Hamilton? Usually we do a hotel in Toronto the night before with parking and shuttle included. There's 6 of us so I'm thinking that's an expensive option. (We are about 1.5 hours from Hamilton).
3 replies
Feb 26, 2017
5 posts
I flew from Hamilton a couple months ago. My experience:
- Getting to the airport is way easier than going through the crazy traffic in Toronto
- Checking-in is a breeze and fast
- Waiting lounge is quite relaxed and not crowded
- There is Tim Hortons and a couple small food places inside. The Tim Hortons outside the check-in lounge is bigger and offers more food choices. Buy your foods from outside if you plan to eat a meal. The Tim Hortons inside offers just donuts, muffins and drinks.
- The duty-free shop there has good deals but I am not sure how to declare the stuffs to bring them back in. If you plan to consume/use the stuffs while travelling, then that's straightforward.
- Washroom is clean. Use the washroom at least 10 minutes before boarding; otherwise, there may be a lineup especially the female washroom.
- The parking lot is huge. There was plenty of parking spot in the long-term economy lot. The parking lot is right in front of the airport and convenient to walk to the only one terminal.

That was in the Spring time. The Christmas season is for sure busier, but I think it wouldn't be as bad as the Toronto Pearson airport.

If you are 1.5 hours from Hamilton coming from the London side, consider the Waterloo airport too if there are flights that you can choose. Waterloo airport is just as relaxed as the Hamilton airport.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1020 posts
186 upvotes
Hamilton is a small airport which has its pros and cons. If your flight is the only one in that time frame then you can breeze through. If there's 3 or 4 leaving around the same time the security line can be a nightmare. Parking is outdoors so for winter travel expect to come home to a cold, and possibly snow and ice-covered vehicle. At Pearson you get a covered garage. The Hamilton parking lot is huge, I don't see getting a spot being an issue. Hamilton doesn't use jetways as far as I know, so I've had to walk across the tarmac to board the plane both times I've flown out of there. Again, that could suck pretty hard in the winter.

No Nexus line at Hamilton.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4404 upvotes
Ontario
Do you have a friend or family member willing to drive your vehicle to the airport for you and then return when your family comes back from holiday?

One of Mom's friends told me that the Hamilton Sheraton hotel in downtown has a shuttle to the airport. Yikes, their transportation page is outdated (HSR bus fares are $3 now). I don't see mention of the shuttle.
http://www.sheratonhamilton.com/hamilton-transportation
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/ ... Code=en_US

Maybe that shuttle is a third-party service.

The Courtyard Marriott on Upper James Street mentions a complimentary airport shuttle with reservation. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/tra ... ty-parking
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!