Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
8 upvotes

Flying out for an interview?

In your experience what does flying you out for an interview mean? I've went through 4 telephone interviews with company X and they then offered to fly me out for an interview on Friday and put me up in a hotel for the weekend. They wanted me to stay the weekend so I could "explore the city".

I am trying to gauge how serious they are and what to expect when I meet the HR person. Should I be prepared for an interview? tests of some sort? directly to negotiation of an offer? A "meet and greet" of all the other employees to see if I fit in? Should I be prepared with references?

I realize that it's vague and really would depend on each company and circumstance but I am trying to get an idea of what to expect.

They want me to be there for 9am, not sure how long I will be there.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
You are definitely in the last round, and unless you royally screw up, you are in.
If the phone interviews were detailed, expect this to be more about how they "like" your look, and how they think you fit in. There will be some technical details, but it'll definitely be more about personality.
Definitely expect to meet the decision-makers, who'll ask the standard interview questions - but more to see how you talk in person (not really caring that much what your answers are).

High probability of "meet & greet". Ditto negotiations, or at least a tentative offer with contract to follow. Absolutely bring references and other necessary "assurances". Expect to be there for most of the day, meeting a good number of people.

Back during my graduating year I was flown down to Kansas by Boeing. It was pretty much the job offer (which I didn't accept, didn't want to live in the city).
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
It may be down to just you or perhaps you and 1 more. Sly's right its more of a meet and greet for them to get a feel for you and how you'll fit in.

Bring your references, come prepared for an interview and have some questions ready for the new people you'll meet I assume you've gone thru most of the interviewing BS stuff, keep the questions more informal to the people you meet.

Find out ahead of time how the expenses are going to work, when I flew out for an interview when I was in school the $300US/night hotel I was in one night was quite the shock to my poor student visa. They cut me a cheque for my expenses, others may have it direct billed to you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
8 upvotes
fyi: it was just a giant meet n greet. Met about 6 people, talked to each for 15 minutes to an hour. Was a good time.

got offer.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
congrats.
I expect a discount on whatever products/services you offer :lol:
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2016 posts
56 upvotes
If the company is Market Probe don't work there lol :)

I was from Edmonton and got flown to TO for an interview...ended up taking the job and hated it (terrible environment...I think 75% of the staff changed in the year I was there lol)

It ended up good, since I used my experience to bounce to a much better job :)
Jun 23, 2005
241 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
where can i find one of those jobs where they will fly me out to calgary for example for a interview?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
tonypro99 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2007 12:46 am
where can i find one of those jobs where they will fly me out to calgary for example for a interview?
Apply for the job, if they want you they'll fly you out. Of course if your a music major applying for a receptionist job I don't think they will vs. say an engineer.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
I'm looking for a company that will fly me out to...oh, say 7 or 8 European and Asian capitals over a period of approx. 4-8 weeks for a series of 15 minute interviews.

PM me your offers.

In other news, congrats ullyeus!
× < >