Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2140 posts
404 upvotes
Ottawa

Flying Within Canada No Passport.

My friend lost her wallet with ALL her ID.

She wants to know if she can use her Ontario Health Card to check/in and board. Can she?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
AtlsNBP wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:09 am
My friend lost her wallet with ALL her ID.

She wants to know if she can use her Ontario Health Card to check/in and board. Can she?
call the airline and ask.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Jan 10, 2009
485 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
While technically a Health Card is a valid ID from a certain perspective, it's technically illegal for anyone other than a health care professional to look at it or use it as such. Depending on who you get at the gate you may get away with it. However since for a plane journey they have to record the type and particulars of the ID you can't as no one outside the health care space is able to record a health card number.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13200 posts
674 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:59 pm
While technically a Health Card is a valid ID from a certain perspective, it's technically illegal for anyone other than a health care professional to look at it or use it as such. Depending on who you get at the gate you may get away with it. However since for a plane journey they have to record the type and particulars of the ID you can't as no one outside the health care space is able to record a health card number.
Illegal, really? I have used my healthcard this week to sign up for my iTrade account at Scotiabank.

Truth is that they do not record any numbers when you board the plane for domestic flights. Hell, they don't even enter in the type of ID (ie. passport, license etc). I have flown hundreds of flights over the years and never once seen them enter anything. It is the picture and nothing more. Recently I used my expired license to board in one direction...didn't even think about using my passport. On the way back they did notice my license was expired and they asked for any government ID...look at my healthcard and on I went.
Mar 12, 2004
696 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nalababe wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:20 pm
Illegal, really? I have used my healthcard this week to sign up for my iTrade account at Scotiabank.

Truth is that they do not record any numbers when you board the plane for domestic flights. Hell, they don't even enter in the type of ID (ie. passport, license etc). I have flown hundreds of flights over the years and never once seen them enter anything. It is the picture and nothing more. Recently I used my expired license to board in one direction...didn't even think about using my passport. On the way back they did notice my license was expired and they asked for any government ID...look at my healthcard and on I went.
Some provincial health cards are valid IDs but some provinces are not because provincial legislation prohibits it
You must have got a rookie at Scotia or their online application form does not do proper checks. http://www.scotiabank.com/itrade/en/fil ... (0511).pdf
It is clearly on Page 1 of their application form that "provincial health insurance card (except ON, MB, NS and PEI)".
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13200 posts
674 upvotes
ericw wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:27 am
Some provincial health cards are valid IDs but some provinces are not because provincial legislation prohibits it
You must have got a rookie at Scotia or their online application form does not do proper checks. http://www.scotiabank.com/itrade/en/fil ... (0511).pdf
It is clearly on Page 1 of their application form that "provincial health insurance card (except ON, MB, NS and PEI)".
This is ITrade online. It is only recently that you have been able to upload your ID and sign digitally.

Clearly it is indicated for those provinces as they don't have a photo in all cases.

So clearly since I have the photo version it is not an issue.

Further if you look at the law itself, it only stipulates that the number cannot be recorded. So if you are using it for photo identification there is no restriction.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... e.htm#BK45
Collection or use
(2) Despite subsection 49 (1), a person who is neither a health information custodian nor acting as an agent of a health information custodian shall not collect or use another person’s health number except,
(a) for purposes related to the provision of provincially funded health resources to that other person;
(b) for the purposes for which a health information custodian has disclosed the number to the person;
(c) if the person is the governing body of health care practitioners who provide provincially funded health resources and is collecting or using health numbers for purposes related to its duties or powers; or
(d) if the person is prescribed and is collecting or using the health number, as the case may be, for purposes related to health administration, health planning, health research or epidemiological studies. 2007, c. 10, Sched. H, s. 10.
Mar 12, 2004
696 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nalababe wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:34 pm
This is ITrade online. It is only recently that you have been able to upload your ID and sign digitally.

Clearly it is indicated for those provinces as they don't have a photo in all cases.

Further if you look at the law itself, it only stipulates that the number cannot be recorded. So if you are using it for photo identification there is no restriction.

Collection or use
(2) Despite subsection 49 (1), a person who is neither a health information custodian nor acting as an agent of a health information custodian shall not collect or use another person’s health number except,
(a) for purposes related to the provision of provincially funded health resources to that other person;
(b) for the purposes for which a health information custodian has disclosed the number to the person;
(c) if the person is the governing body of health care practitioners who provide provincially funded health resources and is collecting or using health numbers for purposes related to its duties or powers; or
(d) if the person is prescribed and is collecting or using the health number, as the case may be, for purposes related to health administration, health planning, health research or epidemiological studies. 2007, c. 10, Sched. H, s. 10.
How do you think scotia can "record" your id without keeping the health# either written or photocopied?;)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2342 posts
1237 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:34 pm

Collection or use
Photo has nothing to do with it. An Ontario, Manitoba, or PEI health card cannot be used for identification purposes at a financial institution, according to provincial laws. If you presented an Ontario Health Card with photo and they accepted it, that is technically illegal - and yes, they do need to record the ID # for any ID they keep on file.

Is your iTrade account approved/activated? They may flag it for ID and have you present something else once they discover the health card situation.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1499 posts
798 upvotes
This.

The first link for CBSA gives precise info on what is needed for International Air Travel

The second link for Air Canada gives info on what is needed for Domestic Air Travel within Canada
Check-in Requirements:

Valid government-issued identification documents including name, date of birth and gender may be required when checking in for the flight. For examples and other important information, visit the Passenger ProtectOpens in New Windowwebsite.
Boarding Gate Requirements:

In accordance with government regulations, Air Canada must check identification at the boarding gate for all passengers who appear to be 18 years of age or older. The name on the ID must match the name used on the reservation or ticket. At the boarding gate, a passenger must present:

Two (2) pieces of valid government-issued non-photo identification with matching names, as long as at least one piece also includes the date of birth and gender; or
One (1) piece of valid government-issued identification with photo showing the name, date of birth and gender.
Carriage will be refused if the passenger:

Does not appear to be the age indicated by the date of birth on the government-issued identification,
Does not appear to be the gender indicated on the government-issued identification

While the CBSA website has a comprehensive list on what constitutes acceptable Govt Issued ID

The following documents may be used to establish your identity:

CANPASS card (Air, Corporate Air, Private Air, Boats, Remote Area Border Crossing), held by a Canadian citizen
Commercial Driver Registration Program card, held by a Canadian citizen
Provincial and Territorial Driver's License
Employment or student card with photo and signature
Provincial Health Insurance Card
Provincial identity card
Canadian Forces Identification
Police Identification
Firearms Acquisition Certificate
Social Insurance Number Card
Credit Card
Vehicle Insurance Certificate
Vehicle Registration

Domestically your Provincial Health Card is perfectly fine... As it a piece of Govt ID that merely establishes one's identity by showing your name - date of birth - gender - and photo

No one at the airline will be recording your health card number

As to the LEGALITY:

It's like your CDN SIN CARD. No one without just cause can ask for these specific forms ID.
And no one without reason should be recording the numbers

But one can volunteer them, if only to prove who they are as a form of Govt Issued ID
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13200 posts
674 upvotes
ericw wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:21 pm
How do you think scotia can "record" your id without keeping the health# either written or photocopied?;)
Cover over the number when you upload the photo...
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13200 posts
674 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:50 pm
Photo has nothing to do with it. An Ontario, Manitoba, or PEI health card cannot be used for identification purposes at a financial institution, according to provincial laws. If you presented an Ontario Health Card with photo and they accepted it, that is technically illegal - and yes, they do need to record the ID # for any ID they keep on file.

Is your iTrade account approved/activated? They may flag it for ID and have you present something else once they discover the health card situation.
yes. Have been using it for a month.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2342 posts
1237 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:55 am
Cover over the number when you upload the photo...

That's silly. The whole point of recording an ID is to record the number. They don't need the image or even your photo - the ID # and expiry date is what's important.
nalababe wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:56 am
yes. Have been using it for a month.
Interesting. It's quite obviously an error on Scotia's part. It says right on their website that Ontario Health Card cannot be used as ID. I'd keep an eye out... They may just decide to freeze your account one day; happens all the time for this very reason.