Hot Deals

[Focus Camera] [US] Panasonic LUMIX GX85 Camera 12-32mm & 45-150mm Holiday Bundle US 448

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2019 4:14 pm
[OP]
Aug 27, 2009
223 posts
56 upvotes

[US] Panasonic LUMIX GX85 Camera 12-32mm & 45-150mm Holiday Bundle US 448

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Focus Camera
It came out 3 years ago but is still a good camera/bundle given the price.
Last time, I live chatted with them and was charged by a PayPal link only the discounted price, no US tax. When I picked up at the post office, I paid the Canada tax + $10 brokerage.

In the Box
Panasonic LUMIX GX85 Mirrorless Camera Body
LUMIX G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. Lens
LUMIX G Vario 45-150mm f/4-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. Lens
Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
AC Adapter
USB Connection Cable
Shoulder Strap
Hot Shoe Cover
2 x Lens Cap
Lens Hood
Lens Rear Cap
Limited 1-Year Warranty
Corel Deluxe Photo Software Kit
Sony 64GB V60 UHS-II M-Series Memory Card (Read 277 MB/s Write 150 MB/s)
Vanguard Havana 21 DSLR Shoulder Gadget Bag
Fotopro UFO2 Flex Pod Tripod
Koah PRO Panasonic DMW-BLG10 2-Pack 1100mAh Battery and Dual Charger

They have a few other bundles as well - Panasonic Black Friday Specials.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6926 posts
4311 upvotes
Canada
If you don't care about the extra accessories, Amazon.com has it for about $480 USD shipped to Canada, including duties.

keep in mind though- the G7 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm was $549 CAD a day ago on Amazon.ca (now $599, maybe it will go back to $549 for BF). G7 does not have IBIS but has a better EVF and ergonomics. Otherwise both are very similar cameras.
The EVF on GX85 is not very good, especially if you wear glasses or have astigmatism. I tried it instore and could never get the EVF in focus. I did not have this problem with any Sony or Olympus cameras
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3396 posts
1194 upvotes
Holy shit, that is one hell of a deal. The criticisms of the EVF are legitimate though. I had the same issue with the GX85 and GX9. I think the GX8 was the holy grail of the Panasonic range finder line-up, but they never made a successor.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2826 posts
237 upvotes
Give me a good deal on a Sony A6400!
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3396 posts
1194 upvotes
jadoocian wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 8:31 pm
Give me a good deal on a Sony A6400!
It's brand new and not going to happen. Plus, APS-C is dying (unless you are invested in Fuji). M4/3 or Full Frame are the sweet spots.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the A6600. Still, it's the A6400 is less than year old. You probably won't see a huge deal on it.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2826 posts
237 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 8:33 pm
It's brand new and not going to happen. Plus, APS-C is dying (unless you are invested in Fuji). M4/3 or Full Frame are the sweet spots.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the A6600. Still, it's the A6400 is less than year old. You probably won't see a huge deal on it.
I'm new to cameras and have recently been doing some research digging deeper. Can you tell me why you think APS-C is dying or provide a link? (don't mean to go off topic too much). Price wise, size wise, I thought APS-C was way to go and a new trend, especially for people who don't need it for a living.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6926 posts
4311 upvotes
Canada
APS-C isn't dying.
Fuji APS-C is doing great, Sony recently launched new bodies and lenses as well (though their main focus is still full frame).

Of course there's Canon and Nikon APS-C as well which isn't going away anytime soon
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3396 posts
1194 upvotes
jadoocian wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 8:39 pm
I'm new to cameras and have recently been doing some research digging deeper. Can you tell me why you think APS-C is dying or provide a link? (don't mean to go off topic too much). Price wise, size wise, I thought APS-C was way to go and a new trend, especially for people who don't need it for a living.
The few manufacturers who deign to disaggregate their sales show that APS-C body sales are down. As for the reason why, well full frame has never been cheaper. You can get an EOS RP for $1,200 or A7ii + kit lens for < $2,000. In contrast, an E 16-55 f.28 G will set you back $1,700, which is more than the 24-105 f/4 on FE. Once you account for sensor size and signal to noise ratio, it doesn't make sense to spend on APS-C when f/4 lenses on full frame cost the same (if not less) than f/2.8 lenses on APS-C and the bodies are almost the same price. Also, the size difference evaporates once you start getting into f/4 or faster on APS-C. The Fuji 16-55 f/2.8 WR is larger and heavier than the Nikon Z 24-70 f/4 S and both are optically similar (and weather sealed with metal mounts).
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3396 posts
1194 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 8:46 pm
APS-C isn't dying.
Fuji APS-C is doing great, Sony recently launched new bodies and lenses as well (though their main focus is still full frame).

Of course there's Canon and Nikon APS-C as well which isn't going away anytime soon
It's being eaten up from the bottom by smartphones and by the top by cheap FF mirrorless (RP, Z6, A7ii/iii). Birders and wildlife shooters will always love APS-C, but from everyone else who is non-Fuji, it's a hard sell. I mean, Sony has employed the Canon artificial cripple hammer on the A6600 to differentiate from the A7 line-up. EF-M is a dead end. Nikon is a question mark. The only one left taking APS-C seriously is Fuji.
Mar 28, 2016
293 posts
78 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
unshavenyak wrote:
APS-C is dying (unless you are invested in Fuji). M4/3 or Full Frame are the sweet spots.
APS C is far from dying. Full frame mirrorless, be it Sony, Canon or Nikon, is still far too expensive for most people and will still be for a long time to come. Plus APS C wins on size and weight that will perhaps never been trumped by Full Frame mirrorless.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6926 posts
4311 upvotes
Canada
Full frame body prices have come down, but lenses are still too expensive. And size is a problem too
Aug 28, 2017
59 posts
121 upvotes
jadoocian wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 8:39 pm
Nothing is dying. Photography tech brings out some really odd comments sometimes.

Micro 4/3, APS-C and full frame each have their pros and cons. APS-C sits in the Goldilocks zone between the two sensor sizes.

Sony seems to be focusing on their full frame lenses lately, which means future support for their APS-C mount may not be as strong moving forward. That's a shame because the Sony APS-C bodies are very good. Nikon/Canon APS-C are still solid.

We live in a time where almost every decent big brand camera can let you take nice photos.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3396 posts
1194 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 11:11 pm
Full frame body prices have come down, but lenses are still too expensive. And size is a problem too
How is there a size problem? The EOS RP is within a few ounces of the EOS M50. The Z6 is as almost the same size as the Fuji X-T30. If you compare like for like (as I already pointed out), full frame lenses are the same price and the same size (if not smaller) than APS-C. The Nikon Z 24-70 f/4 S is smaller and cheaper than the Fuji 16-55 WR f/2.8. The Canon RF 24-240 is smaller and costs less than the fast APS-C super zooms.
stretchmuffler wrote:
Nov 17th, 2019 11:50 pm
Nothing is dying. Photography tech brings out some really odd comments sometimes.

Micro 4/3, APS-C and full frame each have their pros and cons. APS-C sits in the Goldilocks zone between the two sensor sizes.

Sony seems to be focusing on their full frame lenses lately, which means future support for their APS-C mount may not be as strong moving forward. That's a shame because the Sony APS-C bodies are very good. Nikon/Canon APS-C are still solid.

We live in a time where almost every decent big brand camera can let you take nice photos.
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree. If you read the last financial reports from Canon, Nikon, Sony and CIPA, you would see that ILC sales are down 23% year-over-year. Canon's low end and APS-C is down and the only thing growing is EOS RP. The same goes for Nikon (all their growth is in full frame Z). Sony, because of how they report is nearly inscrutable, but their key talking points was increased revenue from mobile product sensors and growth in sales of larger image sensors.

APS-C is increasingly becoming the odd man out. The lenses are substantially larger than m4/3 with less than a stop gained. Most of the cameras also don't have IBIS or if they do, it's not rated for as many stops as m4/3. Full frame is more than a stop advantage over APS-C and the collapse in price of the bodies, f/4 zooms and f/1.8 primes make it just as affordable as high-end APS-C. Unless you're only buying the cheap and slow lenses (e.g., EF-M zooms), there is no cost or weight savings with going with APS-C. And if you're doing that, why not go m4/3 at that point?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13279 posts
3828 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:

LOL, APS-C technology is far, far ahead of M4/3 in terms of market share.

The idea that all APS-C is dying except for Fuji is ridiculous. Until full frame sensors come way down in price, APS-C will still dominate entry level cameras.

Show me a full frame body that's under $1000 at retail. That's right, they don't exist. Whereas there are dozens of good options for APS-C cameras in the sub $1000 price range, and some stuff that's even sub $500 at retail.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3396 posts
1194 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 11:43 am
LOL, APS-C technology is far, far ahead of M4/3 in terms of market share.

The idea that all APS-C is dying except for Fuji is ridiculous. Until full frame sensors come way down in price, APS-C will still dominate entry level cameras.

Show me a full frame body that's under $1000 at retail. That's right, they don't exist. Whereas there are dozens of good options for APS-C cameras in the sub $1000 price range, and some stuff that's even sub $500 at retail.
If you include DSLRs, sure APS-C is far ahead, but in mirrorless world Olympus and Panasonic are in the top 3 sellers for Japan. As for full frame sub-$1,000, we're nearly there: EOS RP and A7ii. It's not ridiculous, just look at the financial reports: the low end (i.e., the sub-$1000 APS-C bodies you mentioned) are getting obliterated. Only full frame mirrorless is seeing growth.
Last edited by unshavenyak on Nov 18th, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.