[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38490 posts
5543 upvotes
King City

Focus RS and Head Gasket Issue

https://jalopnik.com/why-so-many-ford-f ... 1820280550

Seems like they also succumbed to it?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Apr 29, 2017
202 posts
180 upvotes
They wanted to compete with Subaru, so they must capture what it's like to own a Subaru, on the bright side, owners can compete with their cars on who can vape the biggest cloud.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8111 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Nice! Ford quality lol.

I'm happy I bought a Golf R no issues like that to speak of or at least not this bad. Hopefully ford will come up with a fix fast.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18512 posts
3635 upvotes
Thornhill
RIP. Onto next gen, they're probrably going to just bandaid it and have it fixed next gen. Or keep it tradition like a proper sports car, 5% on the track and 50% in the shop lol
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2125 posts
482 upvotes
Mississauga
prochargedv8 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:42 am
They wanted to compete with Subaru, so they must capture what it's like to own a Subaru, on the bright side, owners can compete with their cars on who can vape the biggest cloud.
So they're trying to duplicate the experience? lol
HOpefully they remembered to put the tiny sock oil filter on the oil feed line to the turbo too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
The joys of owning a FORD.
A systemic issue is identified and no resolution is provided.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:45 pm
Found On Road Dead?
Just counting my days (Ford Explorer Sport).
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4354 posts
2959 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:47 am
Nice! Ford quality lol.

I'm happy I bought a Golf R no issues like that to speak of or at least not this bad. Hopefully ford will come up with a fix fast.
Well, their fix is a head gasket with more elastomer sealant between the cylinders. The problem seem to be the open deck design causing too much flex. Seems the real fix is to close the deck at the expense of less efficient cooling.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7809 posts
1886 upvotes
Brampton
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:47 pm
Just counting my days (Ford Explorer Sport).
Just pray you don't end like the few EB3.5 owners that have blown engines?
It's a common non-common issue(happens more than it should[and you're SOL when it does] but not really that bad considering how many EB3.5 are sold and get abused).
engineered wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:47 pm
Well, their fix is a head gasket with more elastomer sealant between the cylinders. The problem seem to be the open deck design causing too much flex. Seems the real fix is to close the deck at the expense of less efficient cooling.
Apparently it's a new gasket and also new heads. Theory is they changed the casting/material/alloy of the head to help with sealing.

A new block may also come down as it's a common enough issue that the block cracks around the head bolts.
Funny enough when I first the engine pics posted years ago, I was thinking to myself gee that deck/block doesn't really look that robust, but I'm sure they got it figured out.

I hope they do find a fix, this is a car that's been on my radar since they announced it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:03 pm
Just pray you don't end like the few EB3.5 owners that have blown engines?
It's a common non-common issue(happens more than it should[and you're SOL when it does] but not really that bad considering how many EB3.5 are sold and get abused).

Apparently it's a new gasket and also new heads. Theory is they changed the casting/material/alloy of the head to help with sealing.

A new block may also come down as it's a common enough issue that the block cracks around the head bolts.
Funny enough when I first the engine pics posted years ago, I was thinking to myself gee that deck/block doesn't really look that robust, but I'm sure they got it figured out.

I hope they do find a fix, this is a car that's been on my radar since they announced it.
I have 8yr/200K km extended bumper to bumper warranty :)
Jun 20, 2010
819 posts
205 upvotes
prochargedv8 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:42 am
Pfff HG is so 2000. If the rs wants to get on sti level, start blowing ringlands and we can talk.
Feb 6, 2011
966 posts
529 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:07 pm
Good call.
If I got an Explorer that would still be the only engine I would go with. EB3.5 FTW
Don't know about that. Theres a recall on some 2018 3.5 where someone forgot to drill oil lube holes in the heads. They found that early. New truck engines were seizing up in the dealer lots.