• Nov 11th, 2017 12:42 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
billford wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:26 pm
Don't know about that. Theres a recall on some 2018 3.5 where someone forgot to drill oil lube holes in the heads. They found that early. New truck engines were seizing up in the dealer lots.
I'd still take it. Its one hell of an engine when it works. Also because the other engine choice makes that car pretty meh otherwise.
Apr 29, 2017
198 posts
177 upvotes
eclone wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:24 pm
Pfff HG is so 2000. If the rs wants to get on sti level, start blowing ringlands and we can talk.
Didn't know that was a thing, is it happening with stock boost pressure? hypereutectic pistons I assume.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15776 posts
4674 upvotes
Ottawa
billford wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:26 pm
Don't know about that. Theres a recall on some 2018 3.5 where someone forgot to drill oil lube holes in the heads. They found that early. New truck engines were seizing up in the dealer lots.
But that's not a design issue.
The 3.5 is pretty reliable other than the carbon build up issue, which has been rectified via dual port and direct injection.
The 3.5 is also the power plant for the he GT.
Feb 6, 2011
965 posts
529 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:22 pm
But that's not a design issue.
The 3.5 is pretty reliable other than the carbon build up issue, which has been rectified via dual port and direct injection.
The 3.5 is also the power plant for the he GT.
Of course its not a design issue, I'm sure nobody would design an engine without camshaft lubrication galleries. Someone or something screwed up during the build.
I agree the 3.5 is reliable, except for the timing chain issues, the diluted fuel issues, vgt issues and the earlier missfire issues.
Apr 5, 2017
127 posts
125 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
All I know is I require a Coyote 5.0 or Voodoo 5.2 if I ever own a Ford again. With, or without a supercharger (800whp).

I think I would go Golf R w/ DSG over a Focus RS. It's just so comfortable, well rounded, better interior / a low-key luxury car, wolf in sheep's clothing, sleeper. By better interior, I mean way better interior...the space inside the MK7 Golf in general is amazing - VW has mastered a simple, spacious - almost cavernous - layout. Focus interior by comparison is bloated, wasteful, and too much dash for my taste. VW EA888 2.0T is a stout motor used in a lot of VAG applications. Simpler Haldex AWD system with a bit more FWD bias and open diffs compared to crazy GKN system in RS, but even if I had an RS, I wouldn't go drifting it around dry roads like a flat brim hat wearer and risk wrecking my daily driver.