• Nov 7th, 2018 4:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16128 posts
12822 upvotes
Toronto

Folding screen phones now available, in China

An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
12 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
I like this idea, in theory. In practice, it seems like this would break so easily.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jan 29, 2013
732 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
This seems so pointless, so bulky and thick when folded. The technology could be interesting in some devices where a curved screen might be nice, but foldable phones?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
Agreed too bulky and fragile.

Honestly, what's the point?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
I mean, I get what the point is - obviously, it's to have double the screensize available in half the in-pocket footprint (roughly, it's obviously thicker). I'll be interested to see where this tech is in, say, 5 years or so. Right now? No way.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
It's made in china. Yall know the durability and warranty is useless. Of course Youku in china will have stupid vids of peeps bending it to see how far before the screen breaks. Think iphone 6. :rolleyes: :facepalm:
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
wearysky wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:52 pm
I mean, I get what the point is - obviously, it's to have double the screensize available in half the in-pocket footprint (roughly, it's obviously thicker). I'll be interested to see where this tech is in, say, 5 years or so. Right now? No way.
Half the screen size but double the thickness. Blech no thanks.

If you want something with a big screen size that badly then just go buy a tablet. Until technology gets to the point where phones are roughly half the thickness they are now, I just don't really see the point to these folding phones.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4668 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
crude looking design but for the sake of being first i guess
Aug 19, 2018
206 posts
157 upvotes
Imagine it is just a touch thinner and more powerful and I can just use this as a tablet replacement and basically a phone with selfie screen, so they can dedicate a more powerful camera to one spot. I don't like the execution here but I like the concept overall.
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Actually just realized this, but wouldn't the Kyocera Echo technically be the world's first foldable smartphone? Then came the Axon M (and probably some more in between that I'm not aware of).

I think they really meant the world's first bezel-less folding screen phones.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16128 posts
12822 upvotes
Toronto
more pics and details below

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/royole-flexpai-preview/

looks massive when folded

An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
arkane wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:06 am
Actually just realized this, but wouldn't the Kyocera Echo technically be the world's first foldable smartphone? Then came the Axon M (and probably some more in between that I'm not aware of).

I think they really meant the world's first bezel-less folding screen phones.
Those are both just dual-screen flip phones. The gimmick here is that it's all one screen that's folding.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
Aaaand Samsung just announced their own folding phone: