• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2006 7:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1149 posts
57 upvotes
trusoulja2g wrote:A lot of times it doesn't even matter though - the interviewer has probably already made their decision before the interview is over.
This rings true for me. I've never written a followup email for any of the jobs I've been offered. And I've never been offered a job for any that I wrote followup emails on. :cheesygri
Nov 26, 2004
352 posts
5 upvotes
I think it's good to be assertive and send a follow up email
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
You should always send out a followup letter on a piece of stationary and mail it out if the company is local. If not, email is fine. I'm pretty sure this was the reason why I have an internship with a company at the moment.

I got turned down an internship from another company and I followed up asking what were some of the skills that I was missing and asked if there were any other openings for just the summer. A couple of days later, he called me back and gave me a reference within the company for a possible summer job. However, I didn't follow up on that because I accepted an offer as previously stated. Nonetheless, I thanked him and his reference for their time.

Bottom line, ALWAYS follow up, even after the interviews and hiring decision. Even if you don't get the job, make those network connections.

To those who said it might make you look desperate, ignore them. During the interview, take down notes. For example, if the interviewer talks about a specific project that you will be working on if hired, then mention in your letter how your abilities will benefit the project development. Not only does this show that you actually paid attention in the interview but shows your keenness and interest in the position and that's what interviewers look for; candidates who are REALLY interested in the job. That doesn't look desperate to me.