• Feb 19th, 2018 4:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2504 posts
228 upvotes
Whitby
There used to be a little burger place called Olivia's Burgers at the corner of Slan Ave and Scarborough Golf Club Rd. I used to love it as a kid and would get a burger fries and a pop after pedalling my bike to soccer games at Churchill Heights P.S. I believe the owner was Caribbean, and the burgers used to have an awesome garlicky flavour that would stay with you all day.

It's probably more nostalgia than food quality but I have occasionally googled to see if they ever reopened. I had more orders of fries and gravy from them than I care to remember....

There was another burger place at Scarborough Golf Club Rd and Kingston Rd that I liked, the name escapes me at the moment. Another good burger and fond memories....
Dec 20, 2010
194 posts
8 upvotes
[quote="GTT1" post_id="14630206" time="1335229668" user_id="89827"]Do you remember that hamburger place on Lawrence just East of Pharmacy. They had terrific burgers. I think it was called Copper Kettle but maybe not.
QUOTE]

I remember that place. It was called the Copper Kettle. You could put a pineapple/cheese spread on thier burgers they had at the condiment bar. Fond memories.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4438 posts
150 upvotes
Just wondering...but does anyone remember a chip making place at Fairview Mall that made chips fresh to order?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11394 posts
2228 upvotes
Ottawa
In Ottawa

- definitely Mother's Pizza
- Ponderosa (way back when they didn't have buffets)
- Licks (not old, but sad there's no more here)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1085 posts
486 upvotes
beachmom wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 3:37 pm
I know they are alive and well in Quebec, but I do miss St HUbert chicken in Ontario. There used to be quite a few of them, but I think they have been gone for at least 10 years now!

Great chain, way better then Swiss Chalet (IMO!)
There were a few isolated St Huberts around (there was one on Queensway that was open to at least 2009-10)
So not gone that long (yet)
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10066 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
Mr. Tasty's on Queen and Parliament. I think it is a Mr. Sub now.

My first memories as a kid in the 80's eating non McDonald's burgers. I remember how soft the patty was with the cheese. It was a old school simple hamburger/hotdog/fries type place.

Those type of places are a thing of the past in this city it seems.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2040 posts
370 upvotes
"Duks"...That chicken burger place that was across the street from Riverdale Collegiate at the corner of Jones/Gerrard, when it was owned and run by Dave. It's a Starbucks now =(

I miss those chicken burgers.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3410 posts
83 upvotes
GTA
Not exactly long gone, but not in Ontario - Passed through the Halifax airport the other day and there now is a ChickenBurger location. Apparently it has a couple of locations in Nova Scotia. The Chicken Burger is simply chunks of chicken on a bun. I had it with honey mustard, mayo and cranberry sauce. Very refreshing to see simple, delicious fast food. They have burgers and fries too, but it is obvious that the Chicken Burger is the star of the show.

[IMG]http://www.thechickenburger.com/sites/a ... c/logo.png[/IMG]
Jun 29, 2009
30 posts
Hazelville
Does anyone remember the Fullers restaurant chain back in the mid 70's? They were open 24 hours a day and were usually quite fully weekends in the early hours. Party and club goers. I remember when some high school friends got jobs there. Everything was very controlled. From the frozen food portions to all the servers. I remember the food being passable, but kind of expensive, since at that time almost all restaurants were small Ma and Pop shops. I do remember a crusty apple dessert covered in sweet syrup.

Now almost all the restaurants are part of chains. Same food, different name, and high price. $14 for a burger and fries! Insane.
Jan 30, 2007
39 posts
11 upvotes
H. Salt, Esq. was the fish and chips place. Amazingly, they are still around in Southern California, of all places.
Jul 20, 2012
542 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
H. Salt is at the CNE Food building every year.
Jul 20, 2012
542 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Fran's on Yonge st. had the spaghetti cellar with all you can eat spaghetti.
The Coliseum rest. on Yonge at Gerrard across from Bassels rest. Bassels I remember as a young boy in the early 60's going with the family on special occasions.
Tubby's at Weston and Finch was a single location for bugers and fries. Best steak sandwich.
The original Fire Pit on Yonge noth of Sheppard.
Feb 3, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
steak n'burger near U of T; romi's pizza, carman's; crock & block; apache burger (still good); black angus (still good)
Feb 3, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
pickin chicken (good); original swiss chalet's; bagel nosh or king?
Brice's Burgers on 48; Lichee Gardens; Ed's warehouse; Glossups;
Place Pigalle; Embassy; Kapok Tree (Fla.); Shopsey's; Laura Secord's;
Groaning Board, Greenjeans, Ginsberg & wong; le provencale; three small rooms;
la scala; the 54th; aw good ol food's..........
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10066 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
Dr Butcher wrote:
Apr 24th, 2012 10:08 am
There was another burger place at Scarborough Golf Club Rd and Kingston Rd that I liked, the name escapes me at the moment. Another good burger and fond memories....
I think I know.. it was on the North Side. I believe it was called Burger Shack.