Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
895 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Oh the memories.

This may not be exactly Toronto but what about the "Foods of the World" at the CNE? The group of stands from different countries at the western end of the the Old Alpine ride? The fried chicken from "Jamica" was amazing!
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2671 posts
1210 upvotes
Ottawa
Spicy Luc's Jamaican Patties.
Nom nom.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2008
3711 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
Bandi1 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 10:54 pm
There's still a Mr. Greenjeans upstairs at the Eaton Centre (it's been there for years), but it's nothing like the Original one was, on Adelaide & Jarvis. Started out as a plant warehouse, added a small restaurant which took off and kept growing inside the place. We used to drive in from Pickering just to eat there. My favourite was the Fritatta with zucchini and cheese.

Mars Food is still on College & Bathurst. I was barely sober most sunday afternoons when I ate there, back in the day.

Looks like Greenjeans is now closed: http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2014/09 ... on_centre/
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13255 posts
2152 upvotes
Toronto
nippleholic wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2014 12:38 pm
Looks like Greenjeans is now closed: http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2014/09 ... on_centre/
Anyone who went to Northern in the 80's and early 90's care to comment on this?
So far all I hear is Mr. GreenJeans got what they deserved. They were a lot better in the late 80's/early 90's.
Their changes in fairly recent years killed the place and ruined everything.

I wouldn't mind seeing the return of Abacus (or some sort of AYCE restaurant) in GreenJean's place.

Odd enough, Abacus IS another restaurant worth adding to this thread...both Eaton centre and Don mills centre...I think they were once in Fairview mall as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1554 posts
635 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
buffylover wrote:
May 1st, 2014 9:14 am
MOTHERS PIZZA HUGE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!!!!!
best part of my childhood

I win, close the thread.
I never had the oppertunity to try Mothers pizza, but there is a location that recently opened in Hamilton, where Tony Roma's used to be on Queenston Rd. According to their site there is also a Kitchener location.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3238 posts
1197 upvotes
Ontario
rob187 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 9:28 am
I never had the oppertunity to try Mothers pizza, but there is a location that recently opened in Hamilton, where Tony Roma's used to be on Queenston Rd. According to their site there is also a Kitchener location.
Mostly it's "Mother's" in name only. It's not near the same as it was.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
When I was a young lady, many moons ago, and living in Chomedey (in Montreal), there was this little pizza joint. I don't even remember the name of it anymore. An old couple owned it. My parents would take us there once every month. Their thing was ... "Buy 3 pizza's, get 1 free." So my parents would order a personal size pizza (8" im guessing .. just a 4 slice), for each of us, with whatever toppings we wanted.

This was the BEST. Thing. Ever. 6 years old. I have my OWN pizza. That I chose. And it was all MINE? It was the magic of being an adult while having the innocence of being so young.

As the years passed, we went there less and less. When I finally moved out of that area when I was 18, I hadn't been back for a couple of years. When I did finally go back to the area, I learned that the pizza shop had burned down. As unmanly as it is, I teared up a bit as it was such a huge thing from my childhood.
Please keep sigs clean
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13255 posts
2152 upvotes
Toronto
TCWeasel wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 11:00 am
Mostly it's "Mother's" in name only. It's not near the same as it was.
Do you mean the actual pizza? Or the environment? Or both?
What seems to be wrong?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7569 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 12:09 pm
fluffy's pizza. yum.
did they lose their fluffer and everything went downhill from there?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7099 posts
1391 upvotes
Mississauga
Many years ago, there used to be a small pizza place inside Cedarbrae Mall called Senor Marco. I remember them selling $1 pizza at the front of the store. It was a small personal cheese pizza with four pepperonis on it, cut into four pieces. My two sisters and I always had to share this one small pizza (it was never enough). I think even today, it was the best pizza ever.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7099 posts
1391 upvotes
Mississauga
Nostalgic restaurants (for me) around Eaton Centre were Tobys, Lime Rickeys, Mr Grumps, JJ Muggs (loved their buffet brunch and chicken wings), Pickle Barrel (in The Atrium, and when Pickel Barrel used to be good), when Mr. GreenJeans was original many moons ago, and their little tacky knickknack shop right next door). And I remember a pub called Elephant and Castle with great shepherds pie.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13255 posts
2152 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 8:36 pm
Nostalgic restaurants (for me) around Eaton Centre were Tobys, Lime Rickeys, Mr Grumps, JJ Muggs (loved their buffet brunch and chicken wings), Pickle Barrel (in The Atrium, and when Pickel Barrel used to be good), when Mr. GreenJeans was original many moons ago, and their little tacky knickknack shop right next door). And I remember a pub called Elephant and Castle with great shepherds pie.
Toby's can now be found on College near Bathurst. ( http://www.tobyspub.com/ )
I'm going to keep trying to get Lime Rickey's restored somewhere in Toronto. (by bugging at least one restaurant company out there...)
Current problem is, nobody wants to admit who owns the rights to the name these days. :mad:
Jan 4, 2015
2 posts
Tatamagouche, NS
+1
Brice's Burger Bar. Watching for the numerous signs kept us kids occupied forever!
Red Barn (which I believe took over the Tim Horton's hamburgers building at Brimley/Lawrence?)

Anyone remember Stoney Creek Dairy Bar? Does anyone have a "stolen from Stoney Creek Dairy Bar" tray?