None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12479 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
exiledinottawa wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 7:15 pm
I lived in that area back in 96. It was popular back then but the demographics of the area have changed completely. When did it actually close down? Also when did the theaters close down at Victoria Terrace?
The theatre has been gone for YEARS! Microplay games store also came and went. It's been a Goodlife fitness for years!
Steak queen closed down a few years back. (I'm guessing 5?) I'm not sure how long the new place will last.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
185 upvotes
Gatineau
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 7:59 pm
The theatre has been gone for YEARS! Microplay games store also came and went. It's been a Goodlife fitness for years!
Steak queen closed down a few years back. (I'm guessing 5?) I'm not sure how long the new place will last.
It's a damned shame, that was a nice theater. I think the new place will work well in that area due to demos of the area. Did you live in that area, there was a deli/bakery in the Beckers plaza that made the best pies in Toronto
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38086 posts
3036 upvotes
Toronto
When I was in high school... There was this place called "Taste of Chicago" near my high school...
They sold cheese burgers for only $1.99 and they were loaded!
Fries were 1.50 with free gravy...

Everything was CHEAP.

Needless to say.. .that business model didn't work out well. They closed in a year...
But the food was actually good and inexpensive.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1519 posts
1049 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
rb wrote:
Sep 18th, 2006 9:36 pm
Olive Garden

Ponderosa

Chi Chi's

I miss the McDonalds pizza. I remember always ordering it when it first came out. There are IIRC only 2 McDonalds in the USA that still serve pizza. Here is the video.

These guys are from Toronto.

Hmm.. pizza at the largests McD's?

and sadly enough I still miss MCPizza (from Macdonalds) and their BLT Burger

we actually drive to Niagara Falls USA for Olive Garden once in a while (and Ponderosa)
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1519 posts
1049 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Pete Jones wrote:
Sep 19th, 2006 10:36 am
Some of my faves:

Ponderosa:
The only left in Ontario is in Belleville, but there's still a ton of them in SK and out east.
http://www.ponderosasteakhouses.com/loc ... canada.htm

Kenny Rogers Roasters:
Boy do I miss them. Those cornbread buscuits were to die for. A couple of years ago, when we were in Saskatoon, we dined at the local Kenny's only to find out that it was about to close in the next few weeks.

Alas, there is only one location left. It's in Ontario -- California!

http://www.nathansfamous.com/rogers/ins ... cation.php

Church's Chicken at Harveys
I mention this because when CARA used HUGE pieces of chicken when they had Church's in the Harvey's restuarants. The only problem was that the coating wasn't quite as flavorful. There was something not quite right about the hot seasoning powder they used. It was too fine and I remember inhaling it accidentally a couple of times -- now there's an eye opener!!

Mothers
I still own a superstein. Drink a couple of those and you're done for the day. :)

--Pete
Anyone know if the Bellevile location is still around? I just saw this post today.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12479 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:20 am
I'm almost positive they had Diana Sweets at Yorkdale, too.
I don't recall a Dianna sweets at Yorkdale, but there was one in Scarborough town and the late great Don Mills centre.
I'm not aware of what went wrong with the location at STC, but I do know that the Don Mills location had to close because they were tearing down that mall
and the owner was looking for a partner to help him reinvest in his restaurant, but could not find the right person or people...
(Such a shame!!)

Long live Watts!! (Eglinton square mall...recently relocated and renovated, but at least it is surviving)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12479 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
Pete Jones wrote:
Sep 19th, 2006 10:36 am
Some of my faves:

Church's Chicken at Harveys
I mention this because when CARA used HUGE pieces of chicken when they had Church's in the Harvey's restuarants. The only problem was that the coating wasn't quite as flavorful. There was something not quite right about the hot seasoning powder they used. It was too fine and I remember inhaling it accidentally a couple of times -- now there's an eye opener!!

Mothers
I still own a superstein. Drink a couple of those and you're done for the day. :)

--Pete
Church's chicken is a stand alone restaurant now @ St. Clair and Dufferin in Toronto, Ontario: https://www.google.ca/maps/uv?hl=en&pb= ... px8IsAEwCg

Mother's is still around!: http://www.mothersrestaurants.com/
Nov 29, 2017
747 posts
495 upvotes
Was Made in Japan the precursor to Teriyaki Experience?
Aug 15, 2015
971 posts
115 upvotes
Markham, ON
I used to visit a McDonald with a huge plastic Ronald McDonald figure sitting on a bench inside the McDonald's. I don't see any of the McDonald's mascot figures in any McDonald's.

Did they create a McCafe mascot yet? What about asking kids to design a mascot for McCafe?

I digress.

My papa used to take home from work the most gigantic sticky rice. It was sooooo yummy. In Canada all the sticky rice are sub par. The fried dough in the middle is too old (ie. Too dry) and the other stuffing are measly ( ie. Not enough). Obviously, they have not tried a truly good gigantic sticky rice like I have.

I have been searching for this flavour and texture for years (ever since I came here). I keep ordering an unsatisfying product with the hope that I may find what I used to enjoy every Wednesday evening (on a monthly basis).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38086 posts
3036 upvotes
Toronto
Good eats in toronto upper beaches.
It was your old skool chinese canadian take out.

Same handful of guys drinking shitty beers every day.
Cheap banquet burger made in an open kitchen. $4 back in 2002... add $1.25 for fries and a pop.
Oct 23, 2017
349 posts
156 upvotes
GTA West

A la recherche du temps perdu . .

Not fast food, but this long-gone place shaped my palate forever.

Taj Mahal Restaurant on Yonge near Summerhill, which I believe was one of the original two Indian restaurants in Toronto. (The other one was on Yonge at Wellesley). It was run by a middle age couple and it took forever to get your meal since they prepared everything fresh. The wife never smiled, and you got a whiff of her armpits when she brought the food out, but I have never had better Indian food since. My favourite meal included, among other things:

Chicken Dopiaza or Vindaloo
Chapati
Pullao rice
Lime Pickle
Masala tea

All common enough menu items these days, but rarely made with such care and attention and exquisite spicing. My palate was fresh and unspoiled then, and the tastes of India were a revelation to a boy raised on meat and potatoes.
Oct 23, 2017
349 posts
156 upvotes
GTA West
squall458 wrote:
May 24th, 2005 6:49 pm
taco bell isnt gone is it?.............
I had 2 chicken soft tacos for the first in maybe 30 years at Taco Bell in the Burlington Mall this week. They are really big in the US of A.