Cell Phones

Fongo vs Viber vs TextNow vs Hangouts vs ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2019 3:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
slpless wrote: Any better combination? :)
The comparison between Fongo and TextNow has been discussed in the Fido 3GB/$15 threads, including [WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion), however you've provided a nice summary. Re Fongo's number porting, it typically takes less than 3 weeks. IIRC mine happened in about a week.

"Better" is subjective. But if you can snag a Google Voice number, that offers unlimited free calls and texts in North America from a single interface. It also integrates with the Google web app suite like Gvoice and Gmail. And unlike Fongo/TextNow the number doesn't expire after 30 to 90 days of inactivity.

The main downside with GV is that the free number is in the US. That's not a major issue for most people who want to call you because long distance charges are so cheap nowadays.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
slpless wrote: I just want to share my experience. It started with the news article below:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellpho ... -1.3545053

And, I researched on the internet on VoIP and how to reduce phone bill drastically. I used to have unlimited calls/texts to Canada/USA with Freedom mobile.

I wanted a separate local phone number as I was not going to use native dialer/SMS to limit my phone bill to $15. So, Fongo and TextNow were my options. After testing Fongo and TextNow for a few days, I decided to go with Textnow. Here is why:

1. Both TextNow and Fongo offers local Canadian numbers
2. TextNow offers 604 Vancouver area code, but Fongo only has 778 Vancouver area code. I like 604 area code, however, porting is possible with Fongo - explained below.
3. You cannot port your number to TextNow, whereas you CAN port your number to Fongo ($25 extra charge, 3 weeks to complete)
4. TextNow has free unlimited calls & texts to Canada/USA. Fongo is free only for Canada wide callls. You have to pay about $2 for Canada wide texts.
5. TextNow has lower international call charge than Fongo.
6. TextNow has better user interface. Fongo looks ugly to me.

As stated in the article, I signed Fido $15 3gb data plan and put native dialer and SMS app in a folder to avoid any accidental charge. So, in the end I only pay $15/month for unlimited calls & texts to Canada/USA.

Any better combination? :)
I just subscribe to 1 year text now without ads for 42$ cad, could not find a better solution for less
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
HyperTech wrote: I just subscribe to 1 year text now without ads for 42$ cad, could not find a better solution for less
$42 will enable me to make a lot of voice calls indeed (for TextmeUp which provides free text and free incoming call)
Outgoing calls cost 2 cents a minute for me even if I call next door or the Far East. And people can cheat (text the other party to call back free)
The ads are disturbing (just like TextNow) in a cellular phone given its small size. But I do text on my desktop or tablet browser with zero ads. And I can see all my texts and text contents in my desktop and tablet which is a key feature of TextmeUp.
BTW textmeUp can verify Whatsapp phone # unlike the other VOIP app
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
Can we text an external phone number? Or the other must have textme apps also?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
All of the services we're talking about here give you a real phone number. so yes you can send/receive texts to/from real phone numbers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
HyperTech wrote: Can we text an external phone number? Or the other must have textme apps also?
There is no need for the receiving party to use TextmeUp
Daniel

Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
Just tried textme up and its more expensive than textnow to remove ads
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
HyperTech wrote: Just tried textme up and its more expensive than textnow to remove ads
I suppose you refer to using it for text then.
The ads are disturbing (just like TextNow) in a cellular phone given its small size. But I do text on my desktop or tablet browser with zero ads. And I can see all my texts and text contents in my desktop and tablet which is a key feature of TextmeUp.
I ignore the ads on cell there. And I use the tablet or desktop to text. It is cool that you can copy /paste huge paragraph or long web content in a text. A lot of my buddies were shocked
Daniel

Nov 27, 2016
45 posts
67 upvotes
GTA
If anyone wants an alternative, I use Nextplus. Most reliable in my opinion. Textnow will randomly miss calls/msgs/notifications, and fongo is too slow and often has poor call quality.
Nov 19, 2017
511 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
I use both TextNow and Fongo on my android phone. I have no issue making or receiving a call on either Wifi or data (LTE) on Fongo; however, TextNow only works on Wifi. Does anybody have the same problem??
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto
Peps25 wrote: If anyone wants an alternative, I use Nextplus. Most reliable in my opinion. Textnow will randomly miss calls/msgs/notifications, and fongo is too slow and often has poor call quality.
i just tried setting it up, but the only option i get on the app (android) is requesting what states i live in? i thought this would provide me a Canadian number
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
foreigncontent wrote: i just tried setting it up, but the only option i get on the app (android) is requesting what states i live in? i thought this would provide me a Canadian number
It used to provide Canadian #. Well things have changed
Daniel

Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
I discovered a very upleasant "feature" of Fongo.

It turns out it cannot answer the calls from "unavailable, private" numbers.
E.g. the calls from Google Hangouts withOUT verified caller ID
do not go through. They go straight to Fongo voicemail.

Am I missing some Fongo setting, maybe?
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
Tichi wrote: I discovered a very upleasant "feature" of Fongo.

It turns out it cannot answer the calls from "unavailable, private" numbers.
E.g. the calls from Google Hangouts withOUT verified caller ID
do not go through. They go straight to Fongo voicemail.

Am I missing some Fongo setting, maybe?
Yes

Go to settings, block calls, turn of block anonymous calls
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote: Yes

Go to settings, block calls, turn of block anonymous calls
Thanks.. Is it a new option?
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Thanks.. Is it a new option?
Nope

Was there last year when I had Fongo. I had the iPhone though so may be different with android
Jan 6, 2008
397 posts
210 upvotes
ontario
Just switched my wife from Fongo to TextNow. She's on $15 data only plan for $3Gb on her phone because of limited need. Was using Fongo for calling and texting and was not impressed. Texts were hit and miss, sometimes going through, sometimes not, sometimes major delays. Phone quality was not great. Paying for texting service every 6 months.

What bothered me about Fongo, is you cannot be logged into two devices simultaneously. Only one will receive/send text messages. Pain because she uses a tablet on wifi when at home and her phone when we go out. If she forgets to log out of tablet, she's got squat Fongo service while we are out. That is not an issue with TextNow, and I don't have pay a cent for the service she needs.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12017 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
luck11 wrote: What bothered me about Fongo, is you cannot be logged into two devices simultaneously. Only one will receive/send text messages. Pain because she uses a tablet on wifi when at home and her phone when we go out. If she forgets to log out of tablet, she's got squat Fongo service while we are out. That is not an issue with TextNow, and I don't have pay a cent for the service she needs.
If you can live with a US number, Hangouts is your best solution. It allows multiple simultaneous devices.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
And call quality is pretty much like a cell phone.

No ads either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)