Food & Drink

FOOD DUEL: Baba Ganoush vs Hummus

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2010 2:06 am

Poll: Which one do you prefer?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15913 posts
1270 upvotes
GTA West

FOOD DUEL: Baba Ganoush vs Hummus

Which do you prefer? Please vote!

Baba Ganouj is an Arab dish of eggplant mashed and mixed with various seasonings.

Hummus is an Arab dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic.

Credit to wikipedia for the descriptions.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
I've never tried Baba Ganoush, but I do like eggplant.... Absolutely hate hummus!!!!!
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3702 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, i never expected this thread. I hate baba ganoush with a passion. Prefer hummus any day of the week over that. (I am lebanese btw).
GA-MA78G-DS3H | Phenon II x4 955BE 3.2Ghz | 8GB DDR2 800Mhz | XFX 7770 1GB | 160GB + 750GB WD HDD | Corsair VX550W PSU | Samsung T24A350 24" x2 | Corsair 200R
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
818 upvotes
Love them both. No way to choose between them so I was glad to see the equal option.

I like all the variations of hummus that are available today, the topped versions etc..
Mar 8, 2006
999 posts
11 upvotes
Spicy hummus ftw....top that with some bits of homemade prosciutto and it's delish!!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4336 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Its close to a tie, they both lose. If I had to pick one I'd pick the baba ghanouj because hummus to me tastes like sand. I only like chick peas in soup form.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
shawarma plate with hummus and garlic sauce FTW
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9782 posts
440 upvotes
I will fight to the death for baba ganoush over hummus
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
I find hummous very very bland.. I still eat it but it's very rare I find one with any flavor.. So I chose baba
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Mar 8, 2006
999 posts
11 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 9:11 pm
I find hummous very very bland.. I still eat it but it's very rare I find one with any flavor.. So I chose baba
Have you tried spicy hummus and/or topping it with other stuff like olives, cheese etc. I'm also always on the hunt for different crackers....without the right cracker hummus is boring. I literally have boxes of different crackers in my cupboard lol
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3779 posts
62 upvotes
weirdly, it depends on circumstance:

if it had to be one choice, on a given night, i'd choose babaganouj

if it had to be one choice, as a daily staple, i'd choose hummus
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6223 posts
1214 upvotes
Scarborough
Both can be good if made well. I prefer hummus though especially if it's lemony.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
boneca wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 9:16 pm
Have you tried spicy hummus and/or topping it with other stuff like olives, cheese etc. I'm also always on the hunt for different crackers....without the right cracker hummus is boring. I literally have boxes of different crackers in my cupboard lol

Spicy hummous, red pepper hummous and other "hybrids" is not true hummous IMO.. I'm talking about the traditional dish with traditional ingredients, which I usually find to have next to NO flavor unless you find the odd place that really does a good job with it

Looks like only 2 of us chose baba while 13 chose hummous
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Dec 10, 2006
422 posts
15 upvotes
Peterborough
Both are delicious, although I give my vote to hummus.

Unfortunately, finding quality hummus or baba ghannouj is next to impossible. I can't stomach any of the store-bought hummus except the Compliments Organic (which is surprisingly good). Baba ghannouj is even worse since the majority seem to be an eggplant flavoured mayonnaise... why is there mayonnaise?!

My suggestion: Make it at home. It's very cheap and seriously easy to make. All you need is a food processor for hummus. Baba ghannouj is the same with less ingredients (minus roasting the eggplant first). Check out Alton Brown's recipes. Oh and uh... I don't know how he thinks peanut butter is a suitable replacement for tahini... it really isn't.

I can't stress this enough. There really is no comparison between proper preparation and the store-bought variations. At least grocery store baba ghannouj is edible. The hummus on the other hand (as others pointed out here) really does taste like sand.
× < >