None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes

Food establishment payroll and employee questions

Hello,

Background:
Let say I have a cafe. It's a foreign franchise and they require me to hire some staff from overseas. I will hire some local people as well and maybe some people on working holiday visa who can speak the language.

1) Do I need to register with WSIB?

2) My understanding is that payroll deductions (income tax, EI, CPP) are the same for residents and non-residents. Please confirm. Just to be proactive as I know this question will come up. Non-residents can also file a tax return and get a refund for taxes paid right?

3) My understanding is that I'm not required to provide insurance or benefits, whether I hire full time or part time, resident or non-resident. Correct?

4) I want to hire people part time, partly because I don't want to put my eggs with just a few staff. Is there a certain threshold for working hours whereby if I exceed, I have to incur additional costs or responsibilities? Like if I give 14 hours to one staff one week, and next month it gets busy and give him/her 40 hours, do I suddenly have to do something extra? Also, do I need to "designate" someone as part time or full time?

Many thanks!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Optional for dental/health benefits. Liability insurance is necessary and the franchise will likely require it.
4. Do not exceed 44 hours/week (or 88 bi-weekly) or else any overage will be paid at 1.5 x their hourly rate. What do you mean my designating someone as part time or full time? Just tell the employee when you hire them whether or not its part time employment or full time based on the hours that you give them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)