• Oct 8th, 2008 11:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
552 posts

Food Handlers certificate Toronto

Hi
has anyone taken the food handlers exam offered by Toronto Public Health,, I would like to know how hard is the exam and what would happen if you fail (will you be able to retake the exam, how many times and how much), also is it bettter to the course/class offered or just study from the manual? and also where is the cheapest place to do the exam or class in toronto? TIA
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1043 posts
112 upvotes
lame23 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 12:04 am
Hi
has anyone taken the food handlers exam offered by Toronto Public Health,, I would like to know how hard is the exam and what would happen if you fail (will you be able to retake the exam, how many times and how much), also is it bettter to the course/class offered or just study from the manual? and also where is the cheapest place to do the exam or class in toronto? TIA
if u fail this exam, u've probably failed high school then....in my class, only 1 person failed, and yup, the one that came from foreign country with no high school background at all...plus he wasn't even listening in class....we laughed for a couple of months at work until he finally got it the 2nd time....
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
552 posts
JL2002 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2008 12:54 am
if u fail this exam, u've probably failed high school then....in my class, only 1 person failed, and yup, the one that came from foreign country with no high school background at all...plus he wasn't even listening in class....we laughed for a couple of months at work until he finally got it the 2nd time....
Ok then I guess the exam is easy.......where did you take ur exam? Also the exam offered by T.O public health will be on Dec, does anyone here know where else I can take just the exam? I need the certificate ASAP.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
2846 posts
225 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
Getting an entry level job in the health care is surprisingly easy. This is what I did. Time wise for you, the best option I can think of is to be a Dietary Aide or Nutritional assistant (same job, different name, depends on where you work).

I did this years ago, I took this one day course. Basically you learn proper food handling, safe food temperatures, cross contamination etc. It was 8 hrs long, course held at Smitty's Restaurant, (lunch included, don't pick the chicken) at the end of the day, you wrote a multiple choice exam, not open book but you're allowed to work in groups.

In Kingston, you would contact these guys:
http://www.kflapublichealth.ca/Default.aspx

Take this 1 day course "Food Handlers"
http://www.kflapublichealth.ca/Files...ation_form.pdf
Cost: $45

Once I did that, I got my foot in the door of a Hospital and worked as a a 3 month temp, making about $18/hr after in lieu of benefits and vacation. Then, I used that experience on my resume and got my foot in the door of a city owned nursing home making about $17/hr where I stayed for a few years. While working for the city owned home, I got a second job at a private owned nursing home making about $13/hr.

I"m not sure if the requirements have change much since but I hope that this information is useful to you and good luck!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... t=hospital

Not a direct answer to your question, but you can phone these people up and I'm sure they can re direct you to a toronto location.
Tung(Tom)Nguyen
× < >