Food & Drink

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 10:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 18, 2011
306 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

Anyone notice it lately? I've read several articles on the matter but had to see it for myself to believe it was actually happening. I always thought, "You were a kid, of course these things appeared bigger to you at a time, then you grew up.." But that isn't the case. And it comes at nobody's surprise - being the Junk Food Addict I am - that I witnessed this heinous act of injustice first-hand in the Cookie Aisle @Walmart. They've shrunk the popular Christie Cookie brands by 15% percent! so instead of getting 350-550g packages, you're getting 300-500g packages for the same price. Although, they ARE on sale this week @Walmart

Oreo, Chips Ahoy, Chunks Ahoy, Chewy, etc - all 300g standard; big sizes 500g now. But this topic is for the general discussion of corporate product conversions stiffing consumers on the value of their buck as we pay more for less. Seriously, does their greed know no boundaries? Shall they forever shirk their loyal customers, who've given them their businesses in the first place, with less and less bang for their buck?

:facepalm:

Come 20 years we'll be lucky if we don't have to break a twenty for a 1-ply sheet of toilet paper.
214 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18503 posts
3630 upvotes
Thornhill
I suppose we can always point it at inflation, but personally, less consumption is a good thing ;) All we do is consume and consume (not just food products, everything in general) to a point where our gluttonous point of view is skewed.

But I do understand your point, and it is especially true for junk food. I remember as a kid, a large bag of popcorn was 99 cents. Nowadays, the 'snack' sized popcorn bags are already $1.29!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2157 posts
398 upvotes
Orleans
Yes. Those Gateaux Vachon were bigger. They shrunk. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4750 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
This has been happening for years now, there are even blogs dedicated to these conversions.

You can only blame the consumer. Shrinking the package is the easiest to do and while its noticed by a few of us, its largely unnoticed. Increase the price with rising food costs is noticeable and so is decreasing the quality to meet costs.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
May 29, 2010
162 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Remember when juice used to come in 2L boxes? Then it became 1.89L and now it's 1.75L. Ice cream used to sold in 2L tubs but now it's 1.66L or 1.5L tubs. Yep they've been doing it in a sneaky way by not raising prices but just reducing sizes.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2011
306 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
No Frills wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 5:29 pm
This has been happening for years now, there are even blogs dedicated to these conversions.

You can only blame the consumer. Shrinking the package is the easiest to do and while its noticed by a few of us, its largely unnoticed. Increase the price with rising food costs is noticeable and so is decreasing the quality to meet costs.

2 Things.

Would you be so kind to link me to one of these blogs?

And why blame the consumer?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7597 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they shrunk pop cans from 355ml back to their original sizes from the early 80's. Most of the time I can't finish a 355ml can in one sitting.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1297 posts
1121 upvotes
I've noticed it for a while too, and it's not just food, but every other product.

For example, a couple years ago I received a free coupon from Vaseline for their Intensive Rescue Lotion which came in a 325ml bottle. This was their smallest size.
Now just a couple a months ago, same promotion, got a Vaseline lotion that comes in 295ml.
The 325ml format is discontinued and the prices are the same.

Even with lip balms. It used to be a 5gram standard tube, now it's 4.5g
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3946 posts
529 upvotes
Aurora
Super sized drinks? Super sized fries? 72 oz Lone Star steaks? AYCE rib nights? Triple decker burgers. Wendy's Baconators? Double Big Mac's?

For every example of foods getting smaller, there's probably 10 examples of new meals dreamed up to stuff calories into you.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2011
306 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
Fair enough, but ALL those stuff you mentioned come weighed in with their proportionate price tags. Our examples involve products that have shrunk over the years without the price value going down with it. It's a jib I tell ya! :cry:
[OP]
Mar 18, 2011
306 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
Oh, and it may very well look like those big oz sodas and such are going the way of the dodos according to the New, New York laws that ban big sugary beverages. Massachusetts may follow. Lawsuits and that popular documentary we all know about already got the big M to drop the super-size foods from their menu, who's to say what's to follow.
Nov 6, 2009
406 posts
19 upvotes
Richard1986 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 4:34 pm
Anyone notice it lately? I've read several articles on the matter but had to see it for myself to believe it was actually happening. I always thought, "You were a kid, of course these things appeared bigger to you at a time, then you grew up.." But that isn't the case. And it comes at nobody's surprise - being the Junk Food Addict I am - that I witnessed this heinous act of injustice first-hand in the Cookie Aisle @Walmart. They've shrunk the popular Christie Cookie brands by 15% percent! so instead of getting 350-550g packages, you're getting 300-500g packages for the same price. Although, they ARE on sale this week @Walmart

Oreo, Chips Ahoy, Chunks Ahoy, Chewy, etc - all 300g standard; big sizes 500g now. But this topic is for the general discussion of corporate product conversions stiffing consumers on the value of their buck as we pay more for less. Seriously, does their greed know no boundaries? Shall they forever shirk their loyal customers, who've given them their businesses in the first place, with less and less bang for their buck?

:facepalm:

Come 20 years we'll be lucky if we don't have to break a twenty for a 1-ply sheet of toilet paper.
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/incr ... gproducts/
Avoid Scammers

Mauritius Island
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10139 posts
585 upvotes
The consumerist used to have a section of user submitted examples of these. its been years since I saw it there but I'm sure they have something similar still
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2632 posts
271 upvotes
Maybe this is actually a backroom joint effort on behalf of the health regulation arm of the government and the food processing industry to reduce rates of diabetes and other diet caused diseases? Raising the cost of products plus reducing the serving size could have a substantial reduction in long term health care costs, which means ultimately we all gain via reduced taxation and improved government services.

FYI Food costs have been trending downards for the past few years:

http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/w ... sindex/en/

P.S. Glad this information is finally "official".
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10139 posts
585 upvotes
0xffff wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 11:38 am

P.S. Glad this information is finally "official".
When I saw this thread title I had a whole rant building up in my head about the dumb use of this but I said forget it. think I'm getting old