Food & Drink

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 10:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1380 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
Post cereals also getting smaller but the box size is the same. Family size used to be 720 now down to 550. What a rip off.
No more Post cereals for me. Or any other company that thinks we are stupid consumers.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1288 posts
270 upvotes
Was at no frills today. Haven't had the dr oetkers frozen pizza in a month, but I think it has gotten smaller. The box was smaller than usual.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3897 posts
1102 upvotes
redpattison wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 9:10 am
Post cereals also getting smaller but the box size is the same. Family size used to be 720 now down to 550. What a rip off.
No more Post cereals for me. Or any other company that thinks we are stupid consumers.
It's hard for companies given that the Canadian Dollar has collapsed the last couple of years.

People may not be willing to pay 33% more for the same amount, but they may be willing to pay the same amount for 25% less.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7447 posts
2401 upvotes
ON
renoldman wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 9:28 am
It's hard for companies given that the Canadian Dollar has collapsed the last couple of years.

People may not be willing to pay 33% more for the same amount, but they may be willing to pay the same amount for 25% less.
They already have a regular and "Family size". If you want less product for same/less money, buy the regular size.
No reason to play these silly games and hope no one notices.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
subway didn't make their footlongs 11'' but raised the price and kept true to 12''
now no one eats there because there's no $5 footlong and they're more expensive.

can't complain other companies doing this, it seems like no one would buy their stuff anymore if they just raised the prices.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 4:22 pm
Something weird happened to Campbell's Chunky soup after they changed the label design (an indicator of content change). It tasted like they cheapened the contents. It was really noticeable to me! So, I stopped buying.
It's not exactly practical or convenient, but the only Campbell's soup I've found to be acceptable is their frozen variety.
"Why haven't I seen it in the grocery store?"
It's an institutional pack only available at food wholesalers. Luckily Wholesale club usually has it.
The biggest issue outside of sourcing though is the volume you get. It comes as a "2pack" 4lb block that's semi connected so you get a TON of soup.
You can break them apart and make 2lbs at once but that's still like 908g of soup.
Cost wise though... $6-7/2lbs is FAR more than the what? $2/can of "chunky"

If you've had soup in a restaurant you've probably had Campbell's as almost no one makes soup any more for some reason.
If you enjoyed that, you'll enjoy this.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
fish stricks family size pack has now 26 sticks, instead of 28 ........anyone else notice the fish/seafood products?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1380 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
apnayloags wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 6:22 pm
fish stricks family size pack has now 26 sticks, instead of 28 ........anyone else notice the fish/seafood products?
Yes I did. I think there is something fishy going on. Sorry, Couldn`t resist.
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
327 upvotes
I noticed a change in feel of my OJ cartons when loading them into the fridge today, and see that Tropicana has dropped from 1.75 litres to 1.65 litres - that makes a 5.7% drop in product volume (or if you prefer, a hidden 5.7% increase in price).

The previous time that Tropicana changed their OJ packaging size was 2009, when they decreased the carton size from 1.89 litres to 1.75 litres.

They didn't even add the customary "Now Easier To Handle!" type promotional sticker on the carton to try to soften the blow. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1380 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
invite wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 10:10 am
I noticed a change in feel of my OJ cartons when loading them into the fridge today, and see that Tropicana has dropped from 1.75 litres to 1.65 litres - that makes a 5.7% drop in product volume (or if you prefer, a hidden 5.7% increase in price).

The previous time that Tropicana changed their OJ packaging size was 2009, when they decreased the carton size from 1.89 litres to 1.75 litres.

They didn't even add the customary "Now Easier To Handle!" type promotional sticker on the carton to try to soften the blow. :(
Thanks. It is expensive as it is. Let alone another company fleecing us. Checking the Family boxes of cereal, all different from 720 to 585. Next thing you know Tropicana will be adding water.
Nov 28, 2011
672 posts
177 upvotes
Markham
ah the classic portion size tactic. not surprised to be honest. They hope people won't notice, and most wont
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
I wonder if Costco's 4 packs are still 1.89L?
Actually I have no idea how big their packs are.
cybersaga wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:02 pm
Might be a good opportunity to switch to squeezing your own.
Fixed.
But Ain't Nobody Got Time for That.
Jan 3, 2015
79 posts
26 upvotes
Delta, BC
I stopped buying Tropicana and other "not from concentrate" juice when I found out they were heavily processed and not "fresh". In the US, it's a little more difficult to downsize since consumers are expecting gallon, half gallon and quart sizing.