Food & Drink

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2018 3:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12285 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 12:47 pm
SDM has weekend sales as low as $1.88 for the 220g bags.
August 12 & 13 SDM sale was $1.77 for Lays only, 180g.
Sunchips are never on sale, but you can still get the large bag @ Costco (565g) for $4.99 any day. (every day low price)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1368 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sure manufacturers do this all the time to save on their costs and improve their bottom line.
It just part of life, but it just irks me, especially when there's no price reduction.

Recently I noticed Tostitoes tortilla chips are now 295g down from 320g just a few months ago.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
Dominos Medium Pizzas are smaller. Same with Pizza Hut's "Larges".

Considering that I basically will order one and eat the whole thing, I'm not overly disturbed as I really shouldn't eat that much to begin with. But its definitely a price increase per unit of pizza.
Sr. Member
Dec 5, 2005
753 posts
82 upvotes
Can someone please confirm I was not hallucinating... Kit Kat Chunky are 40g now? They used to be 50g or so? When did that happen?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
4800 posts
420 upvotes
Scarborough
damn wonder what smallest size they can take it to, maybe 10g ? damn
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12285 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
chaingunsofdoom wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 7:31 pm
Can someone please confirm I was not hallucinating... Kit Kat Chunky are 40g now? They used to be 50g or so? When did that happen?
Regular chunky was 50g:
Image

Anything with a flavour or something "real" added, like peanut butter was always smaller, but not by much.
Here's a 48g Kit kat crunchy bar: (all sources, Google image)

Image
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15403 posts
1228 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
You guys know those weight watchers frozen meals? I picked up one of them and compared to the regular one in this csr it was cheese tortellini and the weight watchers ones just had fewer in the box. Ok lets say they used non fat cheese and less sauce but its just less quantity thus less caloric intake. we are basically letting the producers limit our portions. Are we really that powerless to control our portions?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
5707 posts
1109 upvotes
http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/pr ... serve.html

I sometimes purchase this to keep as an easy snack when I'm lazy/in a hurry.

The last few packages have had a SINGLE broccoli floret, which at first I thought was a manufacturing anomaly but now believe to be deliberate.

Even "pammy" who reviewed the product on the website noticed the same thing.

Just another way of sneakily cheaping out on a product and hoping the consumer wouldn't notice, I suppose. I have lodged a complaint.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 8, 2006
856 posts
187 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 7:15 pm
I'm sure manufacturers do this all the time to save on their costs and improve their bottom line.
It just part of life, but it just irks me, especially when there's no price reduction.

Recently I noticed Tostitoes tortilla chips are now 295g down from 320g just a few months ago.
Is it the manufacturer or the grocery store that do it to trick you selling them a bit cheaper?
Member
Jan 3, 2017
308 posts
215 upvotes
The people bitching in this thread are probably the sames ones that are about to riot because Tim Hortons raised their coffee $.10 cents or McDonalds raised their burgers by a quarter.
Prices go up, it's nothing new and there's nothing you can do about it. Either Prices go up or you get less for the same amount. It's been that way since forever and will continue to be that way forever. If the size stayed the same and the price went up, there would be even more bitching then there is now

If you think it's bad now, Wait until Jan 1st when the min wage goes up.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4124 posts
1385 upvotes
Maxwell House has gone from 200g to 150g for the same price - pretty nasty stuff.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
4627 posts
2049 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fryguy1987 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 10:10 am
The people bitching in this thread are probably the sames ones that are about to riot because Tim Hortons raised their coffee $.10 cents or McDonalds raised their burgers by a quarter.
Prices go up, it's nothing new and there's nothing you can do about it. Either Prices go up or you get less for the same amount. It's been that way since forever and will continue to be that way forever. If the size stayed the same and the price went up, there would be even more bitching then there is now

If you think it's bad now, Wait until Jan 1st when the min wage goes up.
Us people are "bitching" because of the stupid tactics of the companies. I'd WAY rather them keep a 2L of ice cream as a 2L of ice cream and price it accordingly as opposed to always trying to make the package look the same and putting less and less in. This is the case with most products now. They think we are too stupid to notice or something. I prefer truth.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
5707 posts
1109 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:16 pm
Us people are "bitching" because of the stupid tactics of the companies. I'd WAY rather them keep a 2L of ice cream as a 2L of ice cream and price it accordingly as opposed to always trying to make the package look the same and putting less and less in. This is the case with most products now. They think we are too stupid to notice or something. I prefer truth.
To add to your point, I understand inflation happens and that food companies have rising costs. When it comes to changing package sizes and portions, I don't even mind much (one benefit of being petite.) I'm still getting what I wanted and expected, just less of it.

What I find far more insidious and misleading is when the quality of the products has changed...(as in my post just above--the volume or weight of the overall package did NOT change but the composition did--to the point that I'm not sure if the nutrition label is even accurate anymore; fewer pieces of broccoli mean less fibre and vitamin C, etc.) And there is nothing on the package to indicate to the consumer that there should be anything different, so that I end up with a product that is completely different from my expectation based on previous standards.

"Beef & Broccoli" turned into "Beef & Gravy (plus 1 piece of broccoli)".
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1106 posts
278 upvotes
The problem is less product and a higher price, that is very common.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 12, 2017
145 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:16 pm
Us people are "bitching" because of the stupid tactics of the companies. I'd WAY rather them keep a 2L of ice cream as a 2L of ice cream and price it accordingly as opposed to always trying to make the package look the same and putting less and less in. This is the case with most products now. They think we are too stupid to notice or something. I prefer truth.
Definitely, shrinking food portions or packages is what annoys me so much. Especially since I buy products for my family. For some items I need to buy 2 because one 1 is nowadays not enough.

Top