Food & Drink

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 12:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4950 posts
457 upvotes
Scarborough
People you gotta send a message to these companies, STOP buying the products.
Go back to basic groceries, and stop buying processed food.
Veggies, fruits, meat and Bread/flour...........stop buying overpriced junkfood. That'll teach em
If you keep buying they will keep shrinking the size and increase the price.

Wait till the min. wage thingy causes steep price increase on EVERYTHING
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9546 posts
2023 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not 100% sure but I think Flamingo chicken wings got upped from 700g to 760g
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1366 posts
414 upvotes
London
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:50 pm
Go back to basic groceries, and stop buying processed food.
Veggies, fruits, meat and Bread/flour...........stop buying overpriced junkfood. That'll teach em
If you keep buying they will keep shrinking the size and increase the price.
They do it with fresh products as well though, via another tactic.
Produce such as cabbage, turnips, squash, etc. used to be sold per item.
Now they sell it per pound.
That change is fairly recent too, like 2-3 years.
Some stores started doing it earlier, but pretty much all have jumped on that bandwagon now. (it might vary regionally?)

There is an argument that a large cabbage should cost more than a small one, but the way they have done it actually amounts to a large price increase.
An average cabbage should should cost the same whether sold each or by weight.
Done fairly, I could accept this, as many products are sold by weight.
However, by weight has amounted to a tripling of price.

This time of year there is an abundance of squash products available due to the harvest time.
As a result, you used to see prices like $.99/squash.
Now it's .99/lb, and an equivalent squash costs $3.
That isn't a natural increase in costs such as inflation.
That's gouging and trickery.
They rely on people just seeing a price, but not seeing quantity .
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12826 posts
1948 upvotes
Toronto
Hey? Just noticed recently (may have happened a while ago) that while Nestle frozen dessert Super sandwiches are still 200 ml, one of their main competitors has chosen to
go smaller, but maybe for the better.
Klondike is no longer a "frozen dessert sandwich"
it is now a "light vanilla ice cream sandwich" (as in, real ice cream sandwich now, not frozen dessert)
HOWEVER
instead of being 150 ml, it is now only 135 ml for the SAME $2.99 + tax at my local corner store.

The product is smaller now, but at least it's a real ice cream sandwich up against Nestle's Frozen dessert super sandwich.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1380 posts
956 upvotes
Our dog's Milk Bones have increased in price - but they were sneaky about it. The price has more than doubled but they are now sold in a larger box. Except the box isn't twice as large as before. So, you are paying more than before.
Feb 15, 2017
107 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed in Loblaws yesterday that all the PC brand regular mild, medium & old cheddar are now 400g instead of 450g. I know the white label cheeses were always 400g but the regular ones weren't. Disappointing.

What are the chances the other brands will follow suit?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7527 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
The premium cheeses like Colby and old white cheddar and extra old white selection brand at Metro/food Basics are 400 grams as well.
The rest are 450grams.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1848 posts
649 upvotes
Richmond Hill
In 20 years, you'll only be able to buy cheese bricks the size of cheese strings.
:D
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3049 posts
853 upvotes
Mississauga
Many consumers are stupid and focus solely on the price. Manufacturers know this so instead of raising prices they shrink the packages.
Feb 15, 2017
107 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
I'm just hoping the others don't follow suit. I've started noticing some bacon is going back to 450g from 375g.
Sep 9, 2017
645 posts
338 upvotes
Winnipeg
Nice catch OP. I'll keep that in mind when comparing prices. And yes, I imagine the other brands will do the same. Sheesh, seems like only yesterday they were all 500 grams.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4642 posts
2491 upvotes
There are approximately 454 grams to a pound

That is why 450 grams has been “the Standard” measurement in Canada (it corresponds closely with our US Neighbours)

In reality, Cheese can be sold in any weight... 400 or 500 are nice round numbers... makes it easier to calculate the price per 100 grams which is ACTUALLY THE CDN METRIC STANDARD ... even though Grocery Stores have spent the last 40+ years quoting to us prices in both Grams & Lbs

I do think that there is some “repackaging” going on to keep the prices static while offering less

But as always it is up to the Consumer to be aware / educate themselves / and do their research on pricing

Personally, I find it easier now to compare prices per 100 Grams... and buy the best deal on Brick Cheese that I need
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12782 posts
5214 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:51 pm
There are approximately 454 grams to a pound

That is why 450 grams has been “the Standard” measurement in Canada (it corresponds closely with our US Neighbours)
I think that's a bit of wishful thinking,
1. It doesn't explain the shrinkage to 400gm bricks.
2. If a manufacturer wants to sell in the US the package needs to be at least 454gm in order to be labelled as 1lb. So 455gm or 460gm would be OK but not 450gm let alone 400gm.
3. Canada's dairy marketing boards result in much higher cheese prices here than in the US. So it's unlikely a Canadian producer could compete stateside selling generic types of cheese. (Specialty cheeses like Oka may be a different matter.)

Also it wasn't that long ago that 600gm was the standard package size for brick cheese. That size often sold for as little as $3 or $4 on sale. As with many other consumer products manufacturers have been shrinking package sizes in order to hide price increases, hence the reduction to 450gm and 400gm.

Pro tip: Brick cheese usually has best before dates as much as a year out. During the transition period it's sometimes possible to find older inventory on the shelf that's still 450gm. As long as the SKU (barcode number) is the same, you can stock up on the larger size for the same price and save some money. (And if, like me, you have a PCO offer this week of "800 pts for every $4 spent on PC Cheese Blocks" now would be an even better time to stock up ;))
But as always it is up to the Consumer to be aware / educate themselves / and do their research on pricing

Personally, I find it easier now to compare prices per 100 Grams... and buy the best deal on Brick Cheese that I need
Amen on both points.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 11, 2018
476 posts
311 upvotes
Speaking of cheese... if you want real cream cheese, buy Mascarpone. And if you ever buy Tiramisu, check the ingredients. If there is no Mascarpone it ain't real Tiramisu!