• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 1:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
10 posts
3 upvotes

Food Seasonings recommendations

Hey RFD,

I am going to be going to college and i am looking for any recommendations on seasonings for meats and veggies. I am going to start cooking my own meals and my family tends to cook food more on the plainer side, so any tips will help!

Thanks
37 replies
Jul 29, 2019
15 posts
17 upvotes
Basil, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme

If you like spicy: paprika, red pepper flakes

If running out of time: garlic and onion powder
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5434 posts
1627 upvotes
Aurora
mmoojojojo wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 10:11 am

Those are pretty good basics. Though I don''t use thyme and oregano that often.

I'd add in soy sauce, too.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2927 posts
960 upvotes
I don’t know anyone who cooked anything other than kraft dinner at university
First floor of the dorm set the fire alarm off the first day trying to make fries
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11221 posts
1862 upvotes
mmoojojojo wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 10:11 am

That's my basic setup, but I get the "Italian seasoning mix", instead of oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, etc separately.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5472 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
I think with jumping in with both feet and starting to cook (kudos to you!), starting with spice recommendations to buy may not be the best intro.

Pick a few dishes you plan on making regularly. Read a few recepies of each dish and take note what spices those dishes call for.

After that, buy those spices in small amounts in loose bulk. Don't go and buy those bags of spices until you have an idea how much spice you use in the short term.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 8, 2019
93 posts
71 upvotes
IMO just salt will make food taste pretty good already.
I would suggest first cooking with salt and pepper, get to know what amounts gives what taste.
Then, add one more spice, choose any that want to try and add it on top of the salt and pepper.
This way you will get to know what that spice tastes like.

Look at recipes to get a reference for what spice combinations and amounts people do, but feel free to experiment on your own base on your tastes.

I started college last year as well and have been cooking for myself since.
For my tastes, my goto spices to put are:
* For vegetables: salt, pepper, and garlic
* For meat: salt, pepper, and cumin
* If I have onions, I will add it to any dish
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23343 posts
8977 upvotes
IMO there's no one universal seasoning that fits everything all the time except for MSG.

I tend to tailor my seasonings based on what I'm cooking at the moment.
I also go pretty basic in terms of seasoning if I'm cooking something where you're supposed to taste the thing (example like steak).
But if you're looking for something to keep in your cupboard all the time, I personally like onion powder, granulated garlic, something hot like cayenne and/or chili flakes. Try to go fresh when it comes to herbs (especially thyme), but these don't have that much of a shelf life.
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 12:15 pm
First floor of the dorm set the fire alarm off the first day trying to make fries
To be fair, I set off the fire alarm every time I cook because some genius who designed my condo decided that no one cooks IRL and put a smoke alarm in my kitchen.
williamsauga wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 12:22 pm
$MSG
No joke, this stuff is literally magic.
A tiny sprinkling into something makes it delicious.

roleless wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 1:47 pm
IMO just salt will make food taste pretty good already.
This.
Then acid.
Or fat.

Salt is the only thing that goes on my steaks.
Maybe some pepper to finish, but never before cooking.
I'm here to taste the meat, not the heat. Or the cola, italian dressing, or whatever nonsense that some people put on their steaks.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2927 posts
960 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 4:18 pm

To be fair, I set off the fire alarm every time I cook because some genius who designed my condo decided that no one cooks IRL and put a smoke alarm in my kitchen.
Must be annoying
Can never get the damn things to turn off once they go off too
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7306 posts
2552 upvotes
Markham
What kind of food do you like? Asian, Italian, Indian, Korean, Japanese, French, Spanish, Persian...each has different flavour profiles. My suggestion is to find a Bulk Barn close to your school and buy small quantities of spices/herbs as needed....if the recipe says use 1 tsp, buy 1 Tbl. Write down what you buy on your phone somewhere so you have a running inventory.

Chef John aka Food Wishes on Youtube is great resource with very simple easy style.

You will build you seasoning pantry in no time doing this.

Happy cooking.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5681 posts
2267 upvotes
Flavoured salt.

A basic onion, garlic, paprika seasoning salt like Club House La Grille BBQ Chicken
Vegeta
chicken and beef bouillon
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6000 posts
430 upvotes
BC
Salt, pepper and garlic plus (clubhouse). Those work pretty good on a variety of things from salad, chicken, veggies, steak
That's my 2cents worth