• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2020 6:16 pm
[OP]
Jan 3, 2020
1 posts

Food Truck Business

Greetings

I am new to the forum , I appreciate if anyone can advise me on the following :

I am planning to have a food truck or trailer and start this business in Ottawa or even other city within Ontario ,
I have some points I hope I can get help in figuring out the best option in handling them :

1- The best strategy in searching for a location , is it through visiting commercial locations , Kijiji ..etc

2- Which cities or owns may cost me less in terms of the start up process ( less licensing fees and permits , less location rental cost )
but at the same time have potential of getting success in the food truck business

3- How to find people on the internet who know more about this or can answer this with more details
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1143 upvotes
First, I suggest you call up various municipalities to explore your options and red tape requirements. Look up the websites of the municipalities you are willing to do this in. I think outside the GTA, foot traffic is so low that it makes little sense to have a food truck. You also have to consider Canada's long winters. There aren't many food trucks outside the Toronto core. In the summer I see more trucks and they seem to hibernate somewhere in the winter.

The best strategy is to actually know the locations. Go find areas and maybe sit out for a day to observe foot traffic. If someone knows the answer to number 2, they wouldn't tell you. He/she would jump on the opportunity. Why would someone interested in this industry give you a heads up on location? Like running any business, you are taking a risk. There's no boss to tell you what is a good decision or not. If there's a good area, you'd think it'd be taken already?

The cost depends on you, not what other people say on the internet. If you want to run a simple hot dog stand, obviously it's going to cost less than if you want to be able to serve a wider variety of items whereby you need more equipment, inventory and perhaps a fancier truck.

And your last question...let me give you some honest feedback on running a small business. If you need someone to hold your hand, you're not ready. You should be asking yourself what food you want to serve. Do you know how to make funnel cakes? Jerk chicken? Do you have recipes? As a business owner, you should not only know what to do, but also be ready to train staff because you probably can't run it 7 days a week. Draft up a plan. Itemize all the things you need to buy and all the things you need to do to get things running. Set out an action plan to do it.

The other option for you is to buy out someone's business, or get into a franchise. You'd be paying a premium for using someone else's knowledge who took the risk before you did and worked out the kinks.
Oct 27, 2012
341 posts
255 upvotes
Shwa
Food trucks are a money pit for most. Just look at kijiji and see how many are for sale. It's not as easy as it looks on the food network.