[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4725 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto

Foods widely available in Canada but not so much in USA

Hey guys,

Apologies if such a thread has already been created, I'm rarely in these neck of the woods of RFD.

My buddy is off to North Carolina for the next three months, and we were discussing what foods are widely available here but he'd struggle getting in America. A couple possible examples we came up with are maple syrup and poutine. I believe in terms of cereal, they got everything we got and then some.

While he won't be able to bring poutine down, he's thinking of taking 3-4 bottles of maple syrup with him when he goes down there.

Are you guys aware of such prevalent Canadian foods that would be pretty scarce in US?
24 replies
Jul 8, 2014
101 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I heard ketchup and all dress chips aren't very common in the US. Same with Coffee Crisp chocolate bars
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5063 posts
1890 upvotes
Cadbury caramilk, crunchie, wunderbar, crispy crunch (buy a halloween pack)
nestle aero, smarties, coffee crisp (try Aero truffle 85g in cherry! Also dark chocolate mint 85g is a new classic)
lowney's cherry blossom, bridge mix
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2728 posts
1822 upvotes
Poutine would be slightly harder to find. If you order a Caesar you're getting a salad. Peameal bacon might be problematic.

Maple syrup you'll have no problem finding. If anything I prefer to buy Vermont or New York State maple syrup when I'm in the USA, so that I'm not funding the Quebec maple syrup cartel.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13904 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:44 pm
Maple syrup you'll have no problem finding. If anything I prefer to buy Vermont or New York State maple syrup when I'm in the USA, so that I'm not funding the Quebec maple syrup cartel.
Nothing wrong with that, but read the label carefully. There are some "Table syrup" companies in the States...they're not the real deal.
Always read the label carefully before buying.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2728 posts
1822 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:38 am
Nothing wrong with that, but read the label carefully. There are some "Table syrup" companies in the States...they're not the real deal.
Always read the label carefully before buying.
No, I definitely meant MAPLE syrup not table (usually made of corn syrup and artificial flavorings) like Aunt Jemima etc.

I've bought this many times:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/dc-organi ... roduct_1_1
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2613 posts
787 upvotes
Smarties

Their smarties are the rockets we have.

And they don’t really have a smarties

No clue if they have sweet chilli heat Doritos
I know they don’t have ketchup and all dressed chips as someone mentioned

Doubt they’d be a fan of anything else other than maple syrup.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10923 posts
1492 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 1:36 pm
Hey guys,

Apologies if such a thread has already been created, I'm rarely in these neck of the woods of RFD.

My buddy is off to North Carolina for the next three months, and we were discussing what foods are widely available here but he'd struggle getting in America. A couple possible examples we came up with are maple syrup and poutine. I believe in terms of cereal, they got everything we got and then some.

While he won't be able to bring poutine down, he's thinking of taking 3-4 bottles of maple syrup with him when he goes down there.

Are you guys aware of such prevalent Canadian foods that would be pretty scarce in US?
He's only gone for 3 months, does he really need 3-4 bottles of maple syrup?

Does he need this much junk food that is only found in Canada? I would tell him to bring only stuff he can't live without. For example if he's an addict of Vachon treats (only in Canada), bring some boxes of Ah Caramel, Joe Louis, Flakies, etc. Really he should explore and try the local cuisine. The BBQ is probably good and being a coastal state they probably have good seafood there too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5063 posts
1890 upvotes
I thought op was bringing gifts?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13904 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
Here's an interesting video that might hint an idea or two:
(The lady's reaction to our 4 Litres of milk in bags is priceless! lol)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4725 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:54 pm
He's only gone for 3 months, does he really need 3-4 bottles of maple syrup?

Does he need this much junk food that is only found in Canada? I would tell him to bring only stuff he can't live without. For example if he's an addict of Vachon treats (only in Canada), bring some boxes of Ah Caramel, Joe Louis, Flakies, etc. Really he should explore and try the local cuisine. The BBQ is probably good and being a coastal state they probably have good seafood there too.
Maple syrup is his main form of sugar. Doesn't use any form of granular sugar. He'll put it in tea, coffee, oatmeal, smoothies, baking. Buddy goes through 3 cups of coffee a day, so given that plus his other requirements for sugar, he will need that maple syrup.

Ahh yes vachon ok I'll tell him that.

But he'll definitely try local cuisines especially once he starts mingling with the people down there.

lecale wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 2:45 pm
I thought op was bringing gifts?
I'll bring him stuff if I end up going down in October.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13904 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 11:41 pm
Maple syrup is his main form of sugar.
& To be extra clear, you do mean actual maple syrup and not table syrup, as has been mentioned in this thread already. Right?
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 10:18 am
No, I definitely meant MAPLE syrup not table (usually made of corn syrup and artificial flavorings) like Aunt Jemima etc.

I've bought this many times:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/dc-organi ... roduct_1_1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4725 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 1:46 am
& To be extra clear, you do mean actual maple syrup and not table syrup, as has been mentioned in this thread already. Right?
Yes of course actual maple syrup and not table syrup like Aunt Jemima. I'm sure that's widespread in the US so there'd be no need to bring some over.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10923 posts
1492 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 11:41 pm
Maple syrup is his main form of sugar. Doesn't use any form of granular sugar. He'll put it in tea, coffee, oatmeal, smoothies, baking. Buddy goes through 3 cups of coffee a day, so given that plus his other requirements for sugar, he will need that maple syrup.

Ahh yes vachon ok I'll tell him that.

But he'll definitely try local cuisines especially once he starts mingling with the people down there.

I'll bring him stuff if I end up going down in October.
To be honest... I would be asking him to bring food back.