• Jan 16th, 2018 9:23 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2530 posts
755 upvotes
kool1 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 10:58 am
I had a forced tip on a group for 17% at a Boston Pizza which really turned me off, especially since the service was awful.
how big was the group?
Feb 5, 2007
390 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
I sorta understand forced gratuity for 6+, but charging for 4+? cmon
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28889 posts
2114 upvotes
Winnipeg
eating out is so complicated in north america, so many different rules just to order some food, it takes a computer these days to figure out what you should pay, gotta add taxes which is different from provinces to province, special tourist taxes, tips, other service fees. i like to eat out when i visit asia, you pay exactly what appears in the menu. kinda weird to have such mystery to the final price when it comes to food.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2530 posts
755 upvotes
kool1 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:44 pm
~12
well with a group of 12 you kind of expect that

im surprised it was Boston pizza though their food is pretty expensive as it is. isn't it like $30 for a large pizza?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8972 posts
1741 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:27 pm
well with a group of 12 you kind of expect that

im surprised it was Boston pizza though their food is pretty expensive as it is. isn't it like $30 for a large pizza?
Na.. it's not that pricey but 17% is pretty high. Standard is 15% and then add if it was really good. It wasn't.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5351 posts
2606 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I won't do business with any establishment that adds tip on the bill (unless for large groups).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13250 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
leeoku wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:10 pm
I sorta understand forced gratuity for 6+, but charging for 4+? cmon
I was just one person at Korean Grill house but 13% forced tip still applied.
Feb 5, 2007
390 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea I read that in the OP but it's just annoying places are also doing that for smaller and smaller sizes, and in your cases individually
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1394 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
I for one will not go to any place that has a forced gratuity applied and I will walk from a place that tries to apply the gratuity with no notice posted in advance. OP thank you for posting the name of the establishment and kudos to that establishment for actually posting the menu online with the notice clearly in view.

I have been to many a place where you are seated, water is brought to the table and it is only then that you see a menu with the notice of forced gratuity, nothing beforehand. I have asked that same not be applied, if they chose to still do so then I walk. Only one place has tried to charge me for the limited service I did receive (water) and I refused to pay. If the forced gratuity turns up on the bill with no warning (includes fine print in some obscure location on the menu) I still refuse to pay. I do not expect, as a customer, to have to read all the fine print, especially if it is a buffet and I do not have my glasses with me (I don't need them to eat). There is no legal requirement for you to pay, the establishment would have to take you to small claims court to get the money from you. I only pay for the actual meal(s).
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23778 posts
1222 upvotes
Markham, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 5:54 am
So, the $11.60 minimum wage in Ontario became $14/hr. officially on January first 2018.
Instead of raised menu prices, it would seem the latest solution is forced Gratuity at some (more) restaurants.
While some of the Hot pot restaurants and Japanese restaurants were already doing this, it seems the list is growing.

The newest example of forced gratuity is Korean Grill House @ Yonge & Bloor. (as of Jan. 2018)
13% is added to the bill on top of the 13% HST.
(even if you are just one person or two people)

Any other recent places to add to the forced gratuity list?
Kenzo on Dundas is forced at 16%...i was like wtf

it was just the 4 of us (family)

This is Ramen...just plop the bowl...it's not even an all you can eat.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9312 posts
3703 upvotes
Toronto
This is madness, that's why I don't go to these restaurants anymore.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3316 posts
1030 upvotes
Mississauga
Kind of off-topic but how does one handle tipping at buffet places? I mean, the customer is the one going up and getting food. Maybe the server brings drinks and busses the tables, but does that justify 15%+?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13250 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:54 am
Kenzo on Dundas is forced at 16%...i was like wtf

it was just the 4 of us (family)

This is Ramen...just plop the bowl...it's not even an all you can eat.
Sounds like a standard needs to be set.
Everything is just all over the place.
It's not properly regulated.
Something needs to be done to make things fair for everyone.

I'm pleased to see that Sakura AYCE sushi @ Bloor & Spadina no longer charges a 10% service charge for groups of less than 6.
They were charging for individuals, but that fee is no more.
(also, paying by cash grants an extra 10% off the dinner bill price)
My guess is that this is because there are too many sushi restaurants in the area and they were one of the few going the force tip route.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13250 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:02 am
Kind of off-topic but how does one handle tipping at buffet places? I mean, the customer is the one going up and getting food. Maybe the server brings drinks and busses the tables, but does that justify 15%+?
I always do 10% of the after tax total at a buffet if the beverage is constantly filled. I deduct from there if it's too hard to get their attention or service is too slow.