Food & Drink

Forced Gratuity (Toronto/Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 9:23 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I don't think people are refusing to tip (unless service is really bad) but the question is how much they actually tip normally.
I tend to tip 10% of the after tax total unless I am in an upscale restaurant or the waiter or waitress does things that really impress me.

A forced 13% is too high, (when eating alone or with less than 6 people) especially when it's being taxed by the government on top of being a forced tip.
Plenty of people on RFD like to boast about not tipping =/
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: CBC Marketplace should do a episode on forced tips.
Do you know of any instances where rules are not followed?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Here's one.
playnicee1 wrote: So, the $11.60 minimum wage in Ontario became $14/hr. officially on January first 2018.
Instead of raised menu prices, it would seem the latest solution is forced Gratuity at some (more) restaurants.
While some of the Hot pot restaurants and Japanese restaurants were already doing this, it seems the list is growing.

The newest example of forced gratuity is Korean Grill House @ Yonge & Bloor. (as of Jan. 2018)
13% is added to the bill on top of the 13% HST.
(even if you are just one person or two people)

Any other recent places to add to the forced gratuity list?
peli33 wrote: Do you know of any instances where rules are not followed?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Here's one.
There is nothing wrong with mandatory gratuity as long as customers are warned in advance. You always have the choice to avoid those places.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
BigJonsson wrote: Plenty of people on RFD like to boast about not tipping =/
The vast majority of RFD posters on all the tipping related threads I have read all tip.
Oct 3, 2003
199 posts
24 upvotes
This happened to me at Royal Jasmine in Mississauga. We had a group of five, and I ended up tipping,an extra 15 on top of that the tacked on gratuity. I really need to start looking at bills closely. I scan the list of items to make sure we were only charged for stuff we order.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
The Modem Wizard wrote: This happened to me at Royal Jasmine in Mississauga. We had a group of five, and I ended up tipping,an extra 15 on top of that the tacked on gratuity. I really need to start looking at bills closely. I scan the list of items to make sure we were only charged for stuff we order.
As a general rule, larger groups typically have tips included.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote: As a general rule, larger groups typically have tips included.
The problem is, there is no agreement as to what a "Larger" group is. 5? 6? 8?
If the menu reads "6 or more" and your group is only 5, you can dispute the forced tip. (or "service charge")
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Was at "Carmens", had a group of 6 and got charged with forced gratuity even though the menu says group of 8 or more will be forced gratuity.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: The problem is, there is no agreement as to what a "Larger" group is. 5? 6? 8?
If the menu reads "6 or more" and your group is only 5, you can dispute the forced tip. (or "service charge")
In that case you can dispute for sure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)