[Ford] 2017 Ford Employee Pricing - until end of September

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2017 9:24 pm
Jan 5, 2006
949 posts
897 upvotes
Can you share with us your cost?thxs

quote=tapanpatel88 post_id=28077959 time=1501824973 user_id=63604]
Unfortunately that's always the dilemma with new cars - current MY? or previous MY for a better price? I recently took delivery of a 2017 Mustang GT Premium and I am so glad I chose that over the 2018. As much as I love the new features of the 2018 (more power, digital cluster, 10 speed auto, drag mode, active exhaust, performance pack with the auto tranny, etc) I don't like the way the front looks. It looks too depressing lol. IMO the 2015-2017 Mustangs look the best (a lot more aggressive). Only downside is that you may not be able to order a new custom 2017 (pretty much stuck with dealer inventory).

I love the Sync 3 system on the new Fords. Blackberry's QNX is way better than the previous Microsoft Sync 2. The system is very fast, responsive and overall very reliable.
[/quote]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
2961 posts
278 upvotes
Hamilton
luck11 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:23 pm
Of course! But you're only paying tax on 50% of any capital gain, depending on investment....so you will be ahead of the game regardless...especially if you can get .99% or 0% financing.

I suppose though, it's a question of whether you want to put in the effort. Also, not sure what the rates are at the moment though, so makes sense to do your own calcs to determine net benefit and whether its worth it to you. Also, each person's financial situation, employment and ability to apply tax strategies to minimize tax etc. will impact what that net benefit figure is.

Did this in 2013 when I bought and sold my vehicles, and with my financial advisor, we calculated net benefit based on some assumptions of ROI and capital gains. What that figure was....I cannot remember (at my age, memory is not one of my strongest features) but it was significant enough for me to decide not to trade in my vehicle (even though the offer was quite good) and put essentially zero down and finance the total value. In any case, never would have thought of it prior...I just have a good financial advisor who made the suggestion during one of our discussions.

Another thing...of course, there is always risk to any investment dropping in value. But this is where you need to choose wisely.

Again, this is just a suggestion and really up to each to determine benefit and decide if worth it, and whether you can tolerate any risk. Just mentioning it for those who may not have considered it otherwise (as I would not have done without my advisor).

Okay...I'm done. Darnit...didn't mean to hijack this thread. Back to employee pricing.
Don't forget if you have TFSA room or want to go the RRSP route.
Or if you reinvest your earnings I think that's another way to delay taxes.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2131 posts
76 upvotes
ben2003 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 2:57 pm
Can you share with us your cost?thxs

quote=tapanpatel88 post_id=28077959 time=1501824973 user_id=63604]
Unfortunately that's always the dilemma with new cars - current MY? or previous MY for a better price? I recently took delivery of a 2017 Mustang GT Premium and I am so glad I chose that over the 2018. As much as I love the new features of the 2018 (more power, digital cluster, 10 speed auto, drag mode, active exhaust, performance pack with the auto tranny, etc) I don't like the way the front looks. It looks too depressing lol. IMO the 2015-2017 Mustangs look the best (a lot more aggressive). Only downside is that you may not be able to order a new custom 2017 (pretty much stuck with dealer inventory).

I love the Sync 3 system on the new Fords. Blackberry's QNX is way better than the previous Microsoft Sync 2. The system is very fast, responsive and overall very reliable.
I took delivery in early May. I don't remember the exact numbers but I know them vaguely. Keep in mind, when I custom ordered my car in March, there was no employee pricing; however, I got the following discounts:

$500 delivery allowance
$750 auto show credit
$750 (or $1000? not sure) Costco discount
additional $3000 off MSRP

Total ~$5,000 below MSRP (GT Premium w/ Auto + Nav + redline leather seats + 20" foundry wheels).

If you're getting a car from the dealer's inventory, you may have a higher room for negotiation.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2321 posts
104 upvotes
Fusion Sport or Mustang GT manual?
Fusion has much more driver aids than Mustang. Are the aids just initial curiosity, after a few months they are MEH?
Dec 3, 2015
80 posts
93 upvotes
Canoe, BC
FWIW, here is my deal. Couldn't find a 2017 F150 with the options I wanted so ordered a 2018. September arrival.

2018 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 6.5 box 3.5EB 10spd Max trailer tow, electric trailer tow mirrors, skid plates, spray in boxliner, floor mats, running boards, B&O sound.

MSRP $64059.......bought for $52,190 + gst. No dealer fees, no surprises. And I DO NOT have Costco, so couldn't get that extra $1000. Only thing you should lose over a 2017 is the $3250 in delivery allowance you won't get. You will get $1500, not $4750. Employee pricing discounts still apply. And yes, I will have the option of taking other incentives if they are better by then, but unlikely as EPP will still be on. Oh, and also ensured a full tank of gas. Normally this isn't a biggy, but with a $130 tank, it is definitely worth asking for on a truck!

Now for a little more info if anyone finds it valuable. I was in the car industry most of my life, from salesperson to manager to GM....AND dealership analyst/sales trainer for Western Canada for one of the manufacturers (I just don't like their trucks, hence why I won't mention the brand :)

The email bomb is the MOST effective tactic as a buyer IF it works in your area (not Quebec as I was told by my french speaking counterpart). It gives you all the leverage of shopping without having emotion or pressure come into play. You will find dealers that will reply to email quote requests and some that won't. For example, I emailed 20 dealers at the start, including GSM's at a few dealers that were aware of my history in the car industry that were offering to sell to me at $500 over cost. In the end I ended up $1700 under these 'cost' GSM quotes just by using the email bomb. My best calculations say that dealer profit on this deal is between $2000-2500 still, which is fine by me as we normally held $5-6K grosses on trucks.

Yes, you may even be able to negotiate a better deal than I did on this truck, but as I made an extremely good living in the car industry, I don't mind giving a little back. Remember, profit is not a dirty word. We all need it in our respective lines of work, otherwise we wouldn't be buying new vehicles.

Have fun shopping!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4542 posts
484 upvotes
rambokid wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 11:06 am
Fusion Sport or Mustang GT manual?
Fusion has much more driver aids than Mustang. Are the aids just initial curiosity, after a few months they are MEH?
Never been in an accident in my life that one of the aids would have stopped me. I have the backup sensor on my Fusion and probably would make sure I minimum have this on every vehicle I buy now. Don't find rear camera that much more effective.
Feb 23, 2017
34 posts
20 upvotes
604CityDealFinder wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 1:31 pm
They arent making new Fiesta or Focus's?? Actually?? whys that?? I thought they were selling decently...
Late reply but the Fiesta isn't selling very well and they are moving production of the focus to China. It will be back in 2019. Gas is cheap so people don't want fuel efficient cars. They want big trucks aND suvs
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17667 posts
790 upvotes
Brampton
aximrocks wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 3:18 pm
yeah, you have some wiggle room. I got my 2017 Focus EV for $1200 less than the employee pricing
I have been looking for this exact deal!!

Can you please tell me your salesman and dealership? It's a guaranteed sale for him, 100% cash as well
Discord: ZAvMRrc
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3355 posts
328 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 8:00 am

Can you please tell me your salesman and dealership? It's a guaranteed sale for him, 100% cash as well
You might be too late to the party. Good luck with finding one available first.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17667 posts
790 upvotes
Brampton
LoveRFD wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 8:47 am
You might be too late to the party. Good luck with finding one available first.
Damn... I have been steadily emailing dealerships etc with nearly zero replies and calls back.. brutal
Sep 24, 2014
134 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Brampton auto mall is having a civic day sale. Before the sale, I was quoted at an even 27K for the 2017 Focus SEL Hatchback after tax and Costco incentive. Came back in during this civic sale and was quoted with 26.4K on the road.. the car they had came with Navigation and sunroof too. Ultimately passed cause I wanted the Golf more, but really impressed by the deal
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1344 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
duckdown wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 8:00 am

I ordered 2017 Focus EV in March. Ford stopped taking new orders in May. you can probably find one in Quebec though.
Sep 24, 2014
134 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton, ON
duckdown wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:07 am
Damn... I have been steadily emailing dealerships etc with nearly zero replies and calls back.. brutal
I've gotten a lot of responses just by being specific. I tell them what model I want and what options, tell them how I plan on buying (Cash purchase) and low ball offer them but reasonably enough that they can counter offer. Tell them you want it today too, and that you have already test driven the car so they think you're serious... (I highly recommend that you do test drive at some point though). Let them know your offer is the "on the road" price so that you're not surprised by extra fees/taxes.

Scope out some dealerships inventory on auto trader as well and start the conversation from there or the dealers website if you're unsure on who to contact.

I've gotten one response where the guy said that he needs me to come in so he can let his manager know that I'm serious before quoting. Others have said that we're $1700 apart, or flat out say that they won't make any profit on that offer. Thats when you can ask them whats the best on the road price they can give. I purchased my Golf by making an offer on auto trader to the dealer; sales guy told me the best offer he could give me. I then told him I was taking another offer somewhere else and he asked me what he could do to keep my business. He beat my other offer and I went in to buy the car.

Another approach is to create an account on Car Cost Canada or Unhaggle.com. Car cost got me the free report and a recommended dealer to contact. I contacted that dealer and they told me to pay $500 more than the listed invoice price on Car Cost. Came out really close to the offer I got on auto trader but I still went with the other offer.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17667 posts
790 upvotes
Brampton
aximrocks wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:30 am
I ordered 2017 Focus EV in March. Ford stopped taking new orders in May. you can probably find one in Quebec though.
I'm in the east coast for summer vacation until mid-august and would happily buy one from QC.

Any ideas where I'd begin, for something like this? Do I just start calling up Quebec dealerships ?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17667 posts
790 upvotes
Brampton
Rosh93 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:44 am
I've gotten a lot of responses just by being specific. I tell them what model I want and what options, tell them how I plan on buying (Cash purchase) and low ball offer them but reasonably enough that they can counter offer. Tell them you want it today too, and that you have already test driven the car so they think you're serious... (I highly recommend that you do test drive at some point though). Let them know your offer is the "on the road" price so that you're not surprised by extra fees/taxes.

Scope out some dealerships inventory on auto trader as well and start the conversation from there or the dealers website if you're unsure on who to contact.

I've gotten one response where the guy said that he needs me to come in so he can let his manager know that I'm serious before quoting. Others have said that we're $1700 apart, or flat out say that they won't make any profit on that offer. Thats when you can ask them whats the best on the road price they can give. I purchased my Golf by making an offer on auto trader to the dealer; sales guy told me the best offer he could give me. I then told him I was taking another offer somewhere else and he asked me what he could do to keep my business. He beat my other offer and I went in to buy the car.

Another approach is to create an account on Car Cost Canada or Unhaggle.com. Car cost got me the free report and a recommended dealer to contact. I contacted that dealer and they told me to pay $500 more than the listed invoice price on Car Cost. Came out really close to the offer I got on auto trader but I still went with the other offer.
Hey man thanks for the post.. Quick question about buying the car from Quebec though; which rebates specifically for the EV would I be eligible for, and for how much?

If I can find the Focus EV for ~$20k I'll take it.. Even if I gotta pay more than the people who got better deals, I'm fine with that as long as it's still around that price point after rebates