• Jul 19th, 2017 8:39 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto

Ford E-450 V10 issues..

I drive a Ford E-450 cutaway with a V10 gasoline engine. It's fairly new with 19,000 kms. There is no warranty. Company sourced it from the states and it's just complicated to say the least.

3 problems that have started to develop and has gotten worse over the last couple of months.

1. When braking, the vehicle shudders like the rotors are bent. It feels exactly like my MB GLK and I had the rotors replaced on it. What I don't get is why has it bent at around 15,000 - 19,000 kms. Can it be something else?

2. The oil gauge fluctuates from normal to zero oil when I'm braking. The oil light comes on. When I accelerate, the gauge is back to normal and the light is gone.

3. At random times, the vehicle will suddenly shake at idle and at lower speeds. Feels like the engine is misfiring. When I restart the vehicle, it's back to normal. Sometimes if I hit a pothole hard enough, the engine starts to shake the vehicle again. I'm not sure how a misfire feels, but I'm guessing it's misfiring since the vehicle shakes from side to side like nicki minaj.

Any ideas? I thought ford commercial vehicles were reliable. Never seen seen such issues on any cars I've owned at such low kms.
8 replies
Dec 9, 2007
577 posts
275 upvotes
trixstar wrote: I drive a Ford E-450 cutaway with a V10 gasoline engine. It's fairly new with 19,000 kms. There is no warranty. Company sourced it from the states and it's just complicated to say the least.

3 problems that have started to develop and has gotten worse over the last couple of months.

1. When braking, the vehicle shudders like the rotors are bent. It feels exactly like my MB GLK and I had the rotors replaced on it. What I don't get is why has it bent at around 15,000 - 19,000 kms. Can it be something else?

2. The oil gauge fluctuates from normal to zero oil when I'm braking. The oil light comes on. When I accelerate, the gauge is back to normal and the light is gone.

3. At random times, the vehicle will suddenly shake at idle and at lower speeds. Feels like the engine is misfiring. When I restart the vehicle, it's back to normal. Sometimes if I hit a pothole hard enough, the engine starts to shake the vehicle again. I'm not sure how a misfire feels, but I'm guessing it's misfiring since the vehicle shakes from side to side like nicki minaj.

Any ideas? I thought ford commercial vehicles were reliable. Never seen seen such issues on any cars I've owned at such low kms.
I thought FORD honours warranties from the States. GM honours after 6 months. Chrysler doesn't honor sh!t

1. As for brakes shuddering, its possible that the pins/sliders are seized or pistons seized.

2. Brakes and oil don't mix. Its possible(hope) that you might have a defective oil sensor.

3. If you have a misfire, engine light will come on.

Was this vehicle in a accident/flood in the States????????
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
yummie wrote:
I thought FORD honours warranties from the States. GM honours after 6 months. Chrysler doesn't honor sh!t

1. As for brakes shuddering, its possible that the pins/sliders are seized or pistons seized.

2. Brakes and oil don't mix. Its possible(hope) that you might have a defective oil sensor.

3. If you have a misfire, engine light will come on.

Was this vehicle in a accident/flood in the States????????
Nope it was a new vehicle. A few things needed to be replaced on the vehicle. Bushings, tie rod and rear brake lamp. No warranty.

Do you know of any reputable places to work on heavy trucks in Markham? I used to take it to one on bullock but my steering wheel came back misaligned. Driving straight would mean the steering wheel at a 70 degree angle.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
trixstar wrote: I drive a Ford E-450 cutaway with a V10 gasoline engine. It's fairly new with 19,000 kms. There is no warranty. Company sourced it from the states and it's just complicated to say the least.

Check the oil level, my guess is that its low and there's no oil showing on the dipstick.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
trixstar wrote: Nope it was a new vehicle. A few things needed to be replaced on the vehicle. Bushings, tie rod and rear brake lamp. No warranty.

Do you know of any reputable places to work on heavy trucks in Markham? I used to take it to one on bullock but my steering wheel came back misaligned. Driving straight would mean the steering wheel at a 70 degree angle.

No warranty? what aren't you telling us??

big truck repairs?..2 places I use in Markham..
for engine issues (misfires etc) Elarion on Amber dr
for structual /suspension/sterring...Markham Spring on Heritage..

Oil light and pressure dropping..oil pressure switch...misfire...wires/coils/spark plugs...

still don't get why no warranty..it must be a flood damage..which in your case you get what you paid for, so you live with it.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote:
No warranty? what aren't you telling us??

big truck repairs?..2 places I use in Markham..
for engine issues (misfires etc) Elarion on Amber dr
for structual /suspension/sterring...Markham Spring on Heritage..

Oil light and pressure dropping..oil pressure switch...misfire...wires/coils/spark plugs...

still don't get why no warranty..it must be a flood damage..which in your case you get what you paid for, so you live with it.
No flood damage. Company car and they say no warranty. I don't have any info regarding that. I'll have it checked out. Not on my dime. Just curious why Ford commercial vehicles are unreliable.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
Ford honor the warranty in the US and Canada.
<no self promotion>
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
It should have warranty. Check with Ford directly.
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/ma ... ranty.html

The rotors probably have pad deposits from someone pressing on the pedal at a stop while the brakes were hot. Remove the rotors and resurface.

The shuddering probably isn't the engine since you don't have a code. It could be the trans, tq converter not unlocking. See if it still shakes if it's in P/N/R. Check trans fluid.

The oil level might be low, or the oil pump might have a blocked pickup.

They're not unreliable vehicles just because yours has an issue.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
trixstar wrote: No flood damage. Company car and they say no warranty. I don't have any info regarding that. I'll have it checked out. Not on my dime. Just curious why Ford commercial vehicles are unreliable.
I have lots of company cars...all came with full warranty