Careers

Ford/iard

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 10:56 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 6, 2006
17 posts
I remember having been asked around 5 situational questions. Prior to that, I guess some general questions regarding what I knew about the program, if I was willing to relocate, if I spoke French/English, etc. The interview didn't seem too difficult from what I can remember.
Apr 19, 2009
22 posts
3 upvotes
yea just 5 different situational questions.. and then questions regarding myself..my educational background.. and what i know about the program..etc.. thats about it..lasted for about i would say.. 30-40 min? thats it.
May 18, 2006
407 posts
29 upvotes
Etobicoke
darknight_87 wrote: @guju
hmm, how do you hold back? i mean, they are going to be asking u whether ur interested..i mean, if thye are not offering u all those things u mentioned above.. how do "move on"?.. i mean, its an offer u r getting .. how good or bad it might be.. its a government job.its tough to move on hoping for something better lol dont u think?

and i thought all these jobs were ottawa based jobs?
thats what i was told in the interview..that '99%' jobs are ottawa based.
hold back... as in, nothing happens tommarrow.
it will take a month or two until you sign the dotted line.
until you sign the dotted line, you can take any offer.
if you have two offers in your hands, then you pick from them all.
dont tell one dept that another is competing for you...
veDette wrote: Hey just a question for all the candidates that have been screened through, how many of you currently have a job elsewhere? Or are we all still waiting on FORD/IARD to contact us? I've been turning down some contract positions, just because I don't want to risk not being able to go with the FORD/IARD program should an opportunity arise.
guy....
dont put all your eggs in one basket.
what if you dont get something?
what if funding is pulled, after you've interviewed?
What if it takes a full year to get the job...

take the contract jobs. you can always leave them. there arent any chains on your wrists.

I interviewed for my FORD jobs in april, my start date was JULY...
after you sign the dotted line, they still have to do a security check on you.
if something goes bad, your offer will be taken back.

i've heard of security checks to take from 3 weeks to 6 months...
so dont sit at home, praying that someone will call. take a job, pay some of your bills.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
Expect the worst, hope for the best, which is why I applied for graduate studies ($$ & lot of effort) even though I knew I was accepted into the FORD/IARD program.
Mar 11, 2009
11 posts
4 upvotes
onetruguju wrote: 2nd interview is mainly a formality.
be yourself (if its an ottawa job)

Government likes to see people who are steady employees. ones who will do what they're told, and will not rock the boat.

if you go in, thinking that the job you're applying for is a consulting level position, this is not the right mind frame.

If its an ottawa job - hold back on offers (if you do multiple interivews), and take the job that offers the best package - move, CMA/CGA fees, training program in Ottawa, how many rotations will you be doing in the 1 or 2 year time period.

Guju - did a 2 year ford program in ottawa, had multiple offers for FORD jobs. had to pick the best one...
which 2nd interview is a formality? The 2nd interview with the department (so overall 3rd interview) or 1st interview with the department (overall 2nd interview).

Also I would like to ask what the are the chances of getting a job through the ford/iard program. is it quite possible or 50-50.
Apr 19, 2009
22 posts
3 upvotes
there are two interviews..

first one is.. who manage the FORD/IARD program invite u and ask you the situational questions..etc..

and second one.. if department likes your profile.. thats the second interview.. thts the one he's referring to as the formality interview..

there is no 3rd as far as i know.. not sure where u r getting that from
Mar 11, 2009
11 posts
4 upvotes
darknight_87 wrote: there are two interviews..

first one is.. who manage the FORD/IARD program invite u and ask you the situational questions..etc..

and second one.. if department likes your profile.. thats the second interview.. thts the one he's referring to as the formality interview..

there is no 3rd as far as i know.. not sure where u r getting that from
The thing is I don't know how many interviews there are. So I just wanted to clarify if the department hires you in one interview or not. It seems a little surprising that the department would make their decision based upon the resume and then have one interview for formalities. But if that's how they do it, then that's how they do it.
Sep 6, 2006
17 posts
Yea I guess they do it like that since in the initial interview they already ask us a bunch of questions and are really able to screen people out. Any interviews thereafter, I'm guessing are just a formality.
Feb 2, 2008
401 posts
1 upvote
veDette wrote: Yea I guess they do it like that since in the initial interview they already ask us a bunch of questions and are really able to screen people out. Any interviews thereafter, I'm guessing are just a formality.
it can be, which person they think is fit to their group.
May 18, 2006
407 posts
29 upvotes
Etobicoke
therock12345 wrote: which 2nd interview is a formality? The 2nd interview with the department (so overall 3rd interview) or 1st interview with the department (overall 2nd interview).

Also I would like to ask what the are the chances of getting a job through the ford/iard program. is it quite possible or 50-50.
chances of getting a job are there.
i'd guess...
if there are 150 jobs, and 500 people in the pool..
30%
i've met people who got into the pool last year, but didnt get a job.
it does happen.
Apr 19, 2009
22 posts
3 upvotes
Azxster and janeausten

How did the 2nd interview go?.. kindly, share your thoughts.
thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
It was a fairly short interview. Got to learn more about the position and agency. Typical interview questions, nothing off the wall.
Apr 19, 2009
22 posts
3 upvotes
so pretty much.. you've the job?.. and when does the training start?..or are they interviewing other candidates as well?
Apr 15, 2009
25 posts
Toronto
as Axster said, the questions asked were nothing out the the ordinary such as "why do you think you're the best candidate". interviewers were very friendly.
Apr 28, 2009
4 posts
Should we give up our hope because we weren't called yet???????????????????????
Sep 6, 2006
17 posts
lol I would start looking for another job than wait for this... with the economy in the state that it's in, we're less likely to receive as many offers
May 18, 2006
407 posts
29 upvotes
Etobicoke
Dont leave all your eggs in the government basket.
did you all say that you were 'open' to move to Ottawa?