• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 10:56 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 2, 2009
653 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
danwolf18 wrote: Any idea when they will update it?
Sorry for the slow response, yesterday was my first day at DND.

There's no timeline. It depends on when the ACFO (FI union) reaches an agreement with the government.

Typically, the new cba's are agreed 3 years after the old one expires, which would be somewhere between 2016/17.

You can follow the union's collective bargaining updates here: http://www.acfo-acaf.com/category/colle ... argaining/
Mar 8, 2016
61 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
darylscool wrote: Sorry for the slow response, yesterday was my first day at DND.

There's no timeline. It depends on when the ACFO (FI union) reaches an agreement with the government.

Typically, the new cba's are agreed 3 years after the old one expires, which would be somewhere between 2016/17.

You can follow the union's collective bargaining updates here: http://www.acfo-acaf.com/category/colle ... argaining/
Thanks and good luck at DND
Jun 19, 2009
514 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa
danwolf18 wrote: I start in the first week of july, kind of excited but at the same time still worried about my move to Ottawa.
Can you share your relocation experience/process so far? Did they have a relocation advisor for you and what sort of costs are covered by the department? I don't start until September but I like to plan ahead :)
Jun 7, 2016
24 posts
5 upvotes
Verbal offer granted whereas i was waiting for an answer in 2 weeks! i am so happy!!! now i have to take the oral test and the security clearance that might last longer because i have lived outside of Canada a lot. At least, the hard part has been completed. Anyone getting to NCR or Ottawa in or after September?
Jun 7, 2016
24 posts
5 upvotes
To those who started already, what are the fringe benefits? Is there any discount on our cellphone line?
Mar 8, 2016
61 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
ipanda wrote: Can you share your relocation experience/process so far? Did they have a relocation advisor for you and what sort of costs are covered by the department? I don't start until September but I like to plan ahead :)
I didn't get any costs covered, the government does not pay for relocation and I did not get an advisor. The person that interviewed offered me advise if I have questions about what is a good area in Ottawa/Gatineau and what is rather considered a bad area. For now I had to drive to the NCR from Montreal 3 times to visit apartments, on the third time I found one that I liked and it was close to my work so I signed a lease.

Except that, it's just the usual hassle of moving.. calling internet providers etc. One thing that I recommend to everyone: Get an apartment with a parking spot. My place is in Downtown Hull and the municipality has, excuse me for my choice of words, ******** bylaws regarding parking. They only provide parking permits for street parking if the residential building has less than 12 units in it. Unfortunately my apartment is in a building with 30 apartments, so I have to rent an underground parking spot for $120 per month. (Any Gatineau resident here has any other suggestions :razz: ? )
Mar 8, 2016
61 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
Azerty2016 wrote: Verbal offer granted whereas i was waiting for an answer in 2 weeks! i am so happy!!! now i have to take the oral test and the security clearance that might last longer because i have lived outside of Canada a lot. At least, the hard part has been completed. Anyone getting to NCR or Ottawa in or after September?
Congrats !! security clearance takes some time and I even had a problem with it, because my file was sent to a wrong department by accident, so they had to do it twice. The SLE isn't that bad, since you live in Montreal I am sure you will do well.
Dec 2, 2009
653 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Azerty2016 wrote: To those who started already, what are the fringe benefits? Is there any discount on our cellphone line?
There is, but it's not much. call rogers business and they'll offer you 30% off their share everything plan.

other benefits would be a group discount at goodlife. I think just under $30/month. if you don't work at dnd or rcmp, it's worth it, since the gyms at other departments cost about the same and are pretty bad.

certain car dealerships offer discounts to government employees. I know dilawri Hyundai does. not sure about others.

and if you work for dnd, via rail offers discounts for tickets.

there must be more, but that's all I'm aware of.
Dec 2, 2009
653 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
danwolf18 wrote: I didn't get any costs covered, the government does not pay for relocation and I did not get an advisor. The person that interviewed offered me advise if I have questions about what is a good area in Ottawa/Gatineau and what is rather considered a bad area. For now I had to drive to the NCR from Montreal 3 times to visit apartments, on the third time I found one that I liked and it was close to my work so I signed a lease.

Except that, it's just the usual hassle of moving.. calling internet providers etc. One thing that I recommend to everyone: Get an apartment with a parking spot. My place is in Downtown Hull and the municipality has, excuse me for my choice of words, ******** bylaws regarding parking. They only provide parking permits for street parking if the residential building has less than 12 units in it. Unfortunately my apartment is in a building with 30 apartments, so I have to rent an underground parking spot for $120 per month. (Any Gatineau resident here has any other suggestions :razz: ? )
yeah, parking is a big issue in quebec. $120/mth for underground parking isn't bad. Above ground parking just beside Phase IV is going for $180-$200/month.

a cheaper way is if you canvass the homes close to your apartment and ask if they'd be willing to rent you a spot. my ex colleagues were able to get some for $50/month cause the owners were elderly and didn't own a car.
Oct 22, 2015
143 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
Today I received my letter of offer. It's official now! So my casual position will be replaced with the indeterminate position next week. :)
Dec 2, 2009
653 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
MarlyPK wrote: Today I received my letter of offer. It's official now! So my casual position will be replaced with the indeterminate position next week. :)
congrats and welcome to the fi community :)
Oct 22, 2015
143 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
Powerlifter4life wrote: Did you receive your letter in mail or were you called in to sign it?
Actually, it was handed to me because I have been working a casual position since I finished school. Based on my past experience with offer letters, they will likely email you the letter, and they may call as well. I'm not sure if they use snail mail anymore.
Mar 8, 2016
61 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
MarlyPK wrote: Actually, it was handed to me because I have been working a casual position since I finished school. Based on my past experience with offer letters, they will likely email you the letter, and they may call as well. I'm not sure if they use snail mail anymore.
Congratulations on your official letter :) I received mine as well last wednesday
Jun 19, 2009
514 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa
gg123456 wrote: Still waiting for security check, I am just curious if anyone looking for a roommate to rent a place together in downtown ottawa? or interested doing house search in ottawa? I am from greater toronto area.
I'm interested. I haven't got my offer letter but I'm expecting to start in September
Mar 8, 2016
61 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
So I have moved to NCR and have started work a week ago. A little summary of my week for those still moving here and starting work soon.

Depending on where you come from and whether you move alone or not, you could end up being somewhat lonely. That's what happened to me this week, from family and friends in Montreal and from a city that I know by heart, I kind of realized that I have nobody in Hull. Also, Gatineau and Ottawa are smaller than Montreal and Toronto so it takes some time to get used to it. Of course it takes some time explore the city and I hope to like it after a couple of weeks. If anyone already living in Ottawa/Gatineau has some recommendations on areas to explore, I am listening.

In terms of work, all my coworkers in my team are very nice, although they are all older than me. I ended up doing training all week and there is also some training waiting for me next week. I'll keep you posted. Good luck everyone
Jan 1, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill, ON
danwolf18 wrote: So I have moved to NCR and have started work a week ago. A little summary of my week for those still moving here and starting work soon.

Depending on where you come from and whether you move alone or not, you could end up being somewhat lonely. That's what happened to me this week, from family and friends in Montreal and from a city that I know by heart, I kind of realized that I have nobody in Hull. Also, Gatineau and Ottawa are smaller than Montreal and Toronto so it takes some time to get used to it. Of course it takes some time explore the city and I hope to like it after a couple of weeks. If anyone already living in Ottawa/Gatineau has some recommendations on areas to explore, I am listening.

In terms of work, all my coworkers in my team are very nice, although they are all older than me. I ended up doing training all week and there is also some training waiting for me next week. I'll keep you posted. Good luck everyone
Thanks for your tips Dan!
Oct 22, 2015
143 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
danwolf18 wrote: So I have moved to NCR and have started work a week ago. A little summary of my week for those still moving here and starting work soon.

I recommend joining the Young Professionals Network for your department - they organize some in-house activities as well as some out-of-office events. Perhaps there is a group within your department or you could start one. Also, if there is an FI committee (for social events, for example), it's a good idea to join. In fact, join anything you are able to (all with manager's approval, of course) because that's the quickest way to meet new people.

Ottawa has a lot of history and there are tons of museums and parks. Walk through the Byward Market on a nice day, also anywhere along the Rideau Canal, and right now Bluesfest is happening - lots of great concerts for reasonable prices - on Lebreton Flats (just across from Gatineau's EB Eddy bridge).
Go to TD Place (on Bank St.) and walk around there. In September, check out City Folk (it's a music festival).
In the fall, take a drive through Gatineau Park, where the changing leaves are stunning. In fact, there's lots you can do there, including snowshoeing, hiking, biking, etc.
In winter, there is an outdoor ice rink at City Hall called the rink of dreams, and the Canal freezes up and you should check out Winterlude in February.

Welcome to the NCR!
Jul 19, 2016
1 posts
For those who have had interviews with departments and did not receive an offer, were you informed that you would not be receiving an offer?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)