• Apr 23rd, 2017 1:26 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 21, 2016
41 posts
2 upvotes
darylscool wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:13 pm
hmmm. I'm not sure why it's worded that way, but as a ford you have the option to rotate to a different department after your first term, so maybe it's worded that way assuming that you don't stay with your department for the full 2 years? I would definitely check with your HR for clarity. Sometimes it's just a simple mistake on the part of whoever wrote your letter of offer. It's happened once for me where they paid me at a higher step because they copied the rate of pay incorrectly.

for benefits, I'm assuming you're talking about healthcare (sunlife) and dental (greatwestlife)?: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... rvice.html

for vacation you can look here, but keep in mind that a new collective bargaining agreement has been reached and therefore this is outdated, but as of right now, it's the latest collective bargaining agreement that we have: http://www.acfo-acaf.com/wp-content/upl ... eement.pdf This also means that the pay rates are out of date, and we'll be receiving back pay or retro pay when the new CBA is signed by TB. :)
Im not sure but i've been told its the duration of the program since im hired from outside the federal public service???

Anyways can you tell me more about the option to rotate to a different department after my first term? How long is a term and will FORD candidates get reminded / have the option to pick which department?

With the new collective bargaining agreement, does that mean the salaries on the pay grid are increasing? :) (I think by 1.25% from the new tentative agreement?)
Dec 2, 2009
539 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
jgravity wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:28 pm
Im not sure but i've been told its the duration of the program since im hired from outside the federal public service???

Anyways can you tell me more about the option to rotate to a different department after my first term? How long is a term and will FORD candidates get reminded / have the option to pick which department?

With the new collective bargaining agreement, does that mean the salaries on the pay grid are increasing? :) (I think by 1.25% from the new tentative agreement?)
Being hired from outside shouldn't lengthen your probation though, so I'd double check with your hiring manager to clarify if that's normal. It seems unusual to me.

yeah sure. usually the FORD program is over 24 months, but sometimes it's 30 months. it's broken up by three 8 month rotations or three 10 month rotations. usually you stay within your hiring department and rotate in the different areas of finance. The purpose of the rotation is for you to get your feet wet in the different areas of finance and give you the option to pick which area of finance you'd like to graduate in at the end of the program. You do not have to rotate, but it'll give you more contacts and thus more options upon graduation from the program.

Actually, we got a bit more than 1.25%/yr. The new agreement is for 1.25% per year with an additional 1% in 2016. So yes, the pay grid will be revised upwards! This means that you will receive a lump sum retroactive payment within 120 days of the new collective agreement being signed by TB.
Oct 21, 2016
105 posts
23 upvotes
Holy crap I have a 2nd interview. There is hope for us who are not in ottawa, uni lingual, decent GPA, no relevant work experience! Anyone have any advice I am so shocked.
Mar 12, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
Anyone going through the IARD (Internal Auditor Recruitment and Development Program) process? I did the exam a couple of weeks back and just got invited for an interview. Anyone been through it before?
Jan 15, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
Hey, I also got invited for an interview with IARD. It seems like there's not as much information about it as FORD. Good luck!
Dec 2, 2009
539 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
scerica wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:29 pm
Hey, I also got invited for an interview with IARD. It seems like there's not as much information about it as FORD. Good luck!
Hello, I'm not sure what information you're looking for, but I can give you some basic differences between the programs since I'm assuming you applied and got interviews for both. Let me know if you have other questions.

The IARD program is similar to the FORD, except you go in as an AS-02 and potentially graduate as an AS-04 (FI-01 and FI-02 respectively for the FORD program) and the program can last up to 36 months (the FORD program normally lasts 24 months, but can go up to 30 months). The FORD program strongly encourages its trainees to attain a CPA/CMA/CGA, whereas the IARD program focuses on attaining a CIA. As an IARD, your career path will be limited to internal auditing. That being said, you can always switch into other areas upon graduation from the program. On the FORD side, there are many more options such as accounting operations, financial systems, costing, financial management, policy, etc.

So to summarise, the IARD program is longer, encourages a different designation, and at the top pay scale after graduating (assuming AS-04), your pay will be similar to the second last pay level of a FORD trainee (FI-01). Having said that, since there are less steps in the AS pay scale (3 vs 7), you will reach your top pay scale a lot quicker than a FORD graduate even when accounting for the additional year that you will spend as a IARD trainee.

AS pay scale: https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpu ... c288725025
FI pay scale: https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpu ... 07-eng.asp

Keep in mind both collective bargaining agreements have been expired since 2013 and both have been renegotiated but are not reflected in the links above because TB hasn't signed off on them yet. the PSAC (union representing AS) negotiated a 5.5% raise spread over 4 years and ACFO (union representing FIs) negotiated a 6% raise spread over 4 years.
Mar 12, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
scerica wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:29 pm
Good luck to you too! Is your interview in this coming week, as well? And can I ask are you located in Canada (meaning are you doing your interview in person over over teleconference)?
Jan 15, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks darylscool! I appreciate the info. I was also curious about the interview process. I was only invited for an interview with IARD and I think the interview process is a bit different. I was first asked to write a written exam and send it back via e-mail. A couple weeks later and I was invited for the Webex interview which is meant to last an hour I guess :/ 20 minutes to review the questions and 40 minutes for the actual interview. Any more specifics on the interview process would be great. Thanks!
Jan 15, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm located in Canada but interviewing over teleconference. Yes, my interview is next week :)
Mar 12, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
scerica wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 7:36 pm
I'm located in Canada but interviewing over teleconference. Yes, my interview is next week :)
Ah, good luck! I just did my interview yesterday by teleconference. I think we find out results in about 2 weeks (I also looked back to last year in another forum and a person found out by April 8th!)
Nov 21, 2016
28 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone who interviewed (post pool) for FORD received any insight as to how far along hiring is?

Based on this forum I would assume it's barely properly started but I suppose it's unknown how many people in the pool are even on here...
Jan 15, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
Did anyone else get an email saying their SLE had been booked? I had no idea this would be tested so earlier. I only want to apply for the English pool at IARD as my French level is basic beginner. Also, it's booked for Gatineau so I don't really want to travel all the way there to do poorly on the test haha. Help!
Jan 15, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
awagliner wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 3:43 am
Ah, good luck! I just did my interview yesterday by teleconference. I think we find out results in about 2 weeks (I also looked back to last year in another forum and a person found out by April 8th!)
Good luck to you too. Did you happen to hear anything about language testing?
Mar 12, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
scerica wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:50 pm
Good luck to you too. Did you happen to hear anything about language testing?
Hi - yes, just got one, but I was pretty sure I applied as English essential. I emailed them back to inquire. You did as well? Do you speak any French?
Jan 15, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
awagliner wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:56 pm
Hi - yes, just got one, but I was pretty sure I applied as English essential. I emailed them back to inquire. You did as well? Do you speak any French?
I applied as English essential as well. My French level is basic beginner, definitely not worth testing. I didn't contact them yet bc I have my interview tomorrow. Please let me know if you hear back!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel