• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:21 pm
Tags:
None
May 16, 2017
6 posts
Hi Everyone! I have a few questions..

When did you apply and how long did it take to reach the point of receiving a letter of offer?

Has anyone interviewed for or gotten a FORD job in Alberta?

I am currently an FSWEP who will be applying when the job application opens. Unfortunately being outside of Ottawa does not give me the option for bridging into my department. Is there any FSWEPs out there who have been bridged into other departments?
Jan 15, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Hi everyone,

I was offered a position through the IARD program (to start ASAP) but must still complete the security check. Can I expect to receive an offer letter before this is completed? I have to relocate so I want to resign at my current position and start looking for apartments in Ottawa right away. Is it foolish to do this before I get an offer letter? I need basic security clearance and have no criminal record so it feels like a sure thing. If anyone has any advice let me know. Cheers!
Jun 7, 2016
24 posts
5 upvotes
Scerica,

Wait for the job offer before resigning from your current job.
Mar 12, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
scerica wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 10:36 pm
Hi everyone,

I was offered a position through the IARD program (to start ASAP) but must still complete the security check. Can I expect to receive an offer letter before this is completed? I have to relocate so I want to resign at my current position and start looking for apartments in Ottawa right away. Is it foolish to do this before I get an offer letter? I need basic security clearance and have no criminal record so it feels like a sure thing. If anyone has any advice let me know. Cheers!
Congrats! I would definitely wait for the offer letter, as I've hear stories of people being offered and promised a job and then funding doesn't come through or something random happens that you couldn't predict (I think you'll get it before the basic screening because sometimes that can take months if you've lived abroad a lot for example). I would just send them a follow up asking for an initial timeline of when the offer letter would be ready, etc. I assume if they want you ASAP they'll try and get it moved along. Good luck!
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Are there relocation benefits for FORD and as a public service employee what kind've gym membership/discounts do you get?
Jan 15, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
I know for IARD there's a $5,000 relocation budget. I'm not sure about the gym memberships/discounts but am curious about that as well.
Nov 22, 2016
41 posts
1 upvote
Relocation maximum is typically $5000 maximum for federal government. It's usually within the job offer document.

I've just got an invitation to an interview for a FORD position, wondering if anyone had any tips?

Thank you !
Jun 10, 2017
1 posts
Mannyafzal,

Congratulations! Its great to hear that hiring for the FORD program is not complete. Would you mind sharing which department called you (if its the same one you interviewed with) and if you're bilingual?
Jul 2, 2017
19 posts
Hello,

Is 18 a good enough score for the PSEE reasoning assessment or should I do it over again to obtain a better score? I know the pass mark is 13, however employers may decide to choose a higher cut off.
Oct 22, 2015
136 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
It's been a while since I checked in, so I figured I'd give an update. I just passed my one year as FORD and I will rotate to another team soon. It's been a great first year with lots of financial accounting experience.

Regarding CPA experience: I submitted some of my experience through CPA and received four level 1's (this is technically considered prior experience due to the timing of when I registered as a CPA student). This is a promising start. So for those who wonder if our experience is recognized by CPA, the answer is yes, but I will qualify this by saying that you need to use the language CPA suggests and you need to provide details. CPA has awful customer service for students and it's a frustrating process for many of us, but it can be done. Our finance team has a shared folder where previous experience reports that have been approved by CPA are stored. This is an invaluable resource and I highly recommend other teams do the same. Fingers crossed you get a nice evaluator ;)

Regarding the Fall 2016 pool hiring: I have several new colleagues who started as FORDs, selected from the most recent/current pool. Some of them started working in December, some in February. They were all initially interviewed by the hiring department. Some are unilingual, some bilingual. So, the new hiring process has worked out for some people who are already done school and ready to work. Still, my department has just recently hired a few new FORDs who are starting soon. I'm not sure if these hires were still in school and given conditional offers or if they were interviewed more recently. A unilingual friend of mine is in the process of being hired at a DND (security clearance is all that's left) so I'm guessing DND has initiated their hiring more recently, but this is still earlier than they started last year (their new hires from the last pool all started late October 2016).

Regarding probation: My probation is the duration of the program. Upon graduation, I will be promoted to FI-2 (at least, that's the hope). Don't worry about probation. Government employees are not often fired unless they are really trying to get fired. Do your job, work ethically, and get along with others... you'll be fine.

Regarding IARD: I had been placed in the IARD pool and I was told that they did not have that many and the odds were pretty good to get a position. I ran into my interviewer earlier this year and she said IARD has not updated their hiring process and is still following the same timeline as they did in previous years. It is unclear if they will change their process anytime soon. She also told me that I had been scooped up by FORD before IARD could send out my file to any hiring departments, so I guess they are slower in the hiring than some FORD hiring departments.

Hiring takes time, several months it seems. I was ultimately hired as a FORD by the same department I was working for (through FSWEP) and it still took two months for all of the paperwork to be completed in order for me to begin. So be patient. The likelihood that you will not be hired after they begin the process of references and security is slim, at least until our government freezes hiring (which isn't looking like it will be anytime soon).

Good luck to everyone still waiting for news and those starting new positions.
Oct 22, 2015
136 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
okerusi25 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 12:52 pm
Hello,

Is 18 a good enough score for the PSEE reasoning assessment or should I do it over again to obtain a better score? I know the pass mark is 13, however employers may decide to choose a higher cut off.
Without context, I'll try to answer your question. The reasoning test is only one of the two tests for PSEE. Usually, they give you the first test (reasoning) online and if they find your score acceptable then they will give you the second online test (Judgement). If you pass the second test, they will ask you to do both tests again in person. I'm guessing you did this in person since we don't find out our online scores. 18 is less than 50th percentile, so if there's an option to take it again, I would, especially depending on how you did on the judgement test. Good luck!
Nov 21, 2016
37 posts
1 upvote
MarlyPK wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 12:56 pm
It's been a while since I checked in, so I figured I'd give an update. I just passed my one year as FORD and I will rotate to another team soon. It's been a great first year with lots of financial accounting experience.

Regarding CPA experience: I submitted some of my experience through CPA and received four level 1's (this is technically considered prior experience due to the timing of when I registered as a CPA student). This is a promising start. So for those who wonder if our experience is recognized by CPA, the answer is yes, but I will qualify this by saying that you need to use the language CPA suggests and you need to provide details. CPA has awful customer service for students and it's a frustrating process for many of us, but it can be done. Our finance team has a shared folder where previous experience reports that have been approved by CPA are stored. This is an invaluable resource and I highly recommend other teams do the same. Fingers crossed you get a nice evaluator ;)

Regarding the Fall 2016 pool hiring: I have several new colleagues who started as FORDs, selected from the most recent/current pool. Some of them started working in December, some in February. They were all initially interviewed by the hiring department. Some are unilingual, some bilingual. So, the new hiring process has worked out for some people who are already done school and ready to work. Still, my department has just recently hired a few new FORDs who are starting soon. I'm not sure if these hires were still in school and given conditional offers or if they were interviewed more recently. A unilingual friend of mine is in the process of being hired at a DND (security clearance is all that's left) so I'm guessing DND has initiated their hiring more recently, but this is still earlier than they started last year (their new hires from the last pool all started late October 2016).

Regarding probation: My probation is the duration of the program. Upon graduation, I will be promoted to FI-2 (at least, that's the hope). Don't worry about probation. Government employees are not often fired unless they are really trying to get fired. Do your job, work ethically, and get along with others... you'll be fine.

Regarding IARD: I had been placed in the IARD pool and I was told that they did not have that many and the odds were pretty good to get a position. I ran into my interviewer earlier this year and she said IARD has not updated their hiring process and is still following the same timeline as they did in previous years. It is unclear if they will change their process anytime soon. She also told me that I had been scooped up by FORD before IARD could send out my file to any hiring departments, so I guess they are slower in the hiring than some FORD hiring departments.

Hiring takes time, several months it seems. I was ultimately hired as a FORD by the same department I was working for (through FSWEP) and it still took two months for all of the paperwork to be completed in order for me to begin. So be patient. The likelihood that you will not be hired after they begin the process of references and security is slim, at least until our government freezes hiring (which isn't looking like it will be anytime soon).

Good luck to everyone still waiting for news and those starting new positions.

Dumb question but does the FORD program pretty much ensure adequate PERT hours to complete your CFE in 30 months?
Oct 22, 2015
136 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottawanian wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 2:41 pm
Dumb question but does the FORD program pretty much ensure adequate PERT hours to complete your CFE in 30 months?
Short answer, yes. [Assuming you mean CPA and not CFE. CFE requires education. CPA requires both CFE and (PERT approved) experience.]

FORD is a 2.5-3 year program, so you are working for 30 months while part of FORD. The idea is to get your PERT experience during this time, as well as work on CPA PEP (or equivalent).

At my current department, we are able to get relevant experience, but getting PERT level 2's is tougher, but that's because I believe some FI's are expecting level 2's after just one year in a position. So you need to advocate for yourself to ensure you get valid experience (we've had a couple FI's change roles, get into new projects, etc. because they've spoken up), and also curb your expectations of the PERT evaluators.
Nov 21, 2016
37 posts
1 upvote
Ah yes my brain was fried when i wrote that, I did mean CPA..

Ah, yes I've heard from my friends a year ahead of me (not in FORD or the gov) that people tend to try and put high levels early, but you want to show low levels early to demonstrate progression. If you get higher levels early progression is harder to demonstrate for PERT evaluators (also heard its part luck of the evaluator being nice)