Ford/iard

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 10:56 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 14, 2019
27 posts
8 upvotes
DavidZ075 wrote: For anyone still looking to find a FORD placement with the government of canada, I suggest you guys go to the following link below. It shows the directorate/organization chart of most departments in the federal government. Most large departments like CRA and PSPC have finance community development groups who are primarily responsible for staffing FI/FORD positions. I suggest you reach out to those individuals notifying them that you are part of the FORD program. That is what I did back in early May/June when I was unsure whether or not my DND offer would be honoured. At the time I reached out to them, they immediately expressed an interest in my candidacy but they did not have any demands at that time but might in future months. They did however want to do an informal interview with me to have my document on file for future hiring needs. I did my initial interview with them and 3 months later (last week), they expressed their interest in wanting to do reference checks and wanted to hire me. The purpose of me telling this story is for people who havent found a placement yet to try this initiative and reach out to individuals who are part of the staffing process for big organizations. Most people are very welcoming and understanding and will sometimes even give you an informal interview for future demands. If it worked out for me, it could work out for someone else too. Best of luck to all.
Please see the link below;
https://geds-sage.gc.ca/en/GEDS?pgid=002
That's smart David! Thanks! This will help a lot of people! Hope you stay at DND but it's cool whatever you decide man! ;)
Sep 10, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys, I am a new graduate majoring in accounting. I am currently enrolled in the CPA national program. I don't have prior GC work experience. I am extremely interested in the FORD program.
I did not find the option to submit an application on the GC website, none of my emails were responded. May I please ask where should I submit an application?

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... nance.html

I am located in Montreal, I would love to meet you guys for a cup of coffee.
Nov 14, 2019
27 posts
8 upvotes
FORDLX wrote: Hey guys, I am a new graduate majoring in accounting. I am currently enrolled in the CPA national program. I don't have prior GC work experience. I am extremely interested in the FORD program.
I did not find the option to submit an application on the GC website, none of my emails were responded. May I please ask where should I submit an application?

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... nance.html

I am located in Montreal, I would love to meet you guys for a cup of coffee.
The job posting was at the GC website and also the FORD website would have a link to the job posting. FORD recruitment only opened in October the last couple of years but it looks like now they are targeting internal candidates only (former students and gc employees). I heard there won't be an external posting this year and the link you provided seems to confirm this. I have no idea if this is a permanent thing.

That said, there's a couple of things you can still do. I recommend to look on the GC website for FI-01 jobs, these are entry-level. If you have enough experience you could go for the FI-02. However, FI-01 are rare and FI-02 are very competitive so I recommend getting any job in the government because once you're in you have easy mobility. Getting in is hard though.

The OAG has a 3 year financial audit trainee position which is currently hiring.

Here's the link for PSR recruitment: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service ... tment.html
There is one inventory open right now.

Look at other finance positions at the GC website. There's a couple right now.

Best of luck.
Nov 14, 2019
27 posts
8 upvotes
Cb1912 wrote: Do you guys know how many people they interview for each available job for the second interview ? @saulgoodman7 @DavidZ075
I don't know tbh. I only interviewed with one department and didn't ask. After I did my second interview it took almost a month to get a verbal offer (pre-covid). It could be they were doing a lot of interviews or just taking their time.
You can try asking Ford. They may give you the stat.
I hope you get good news soon.
Apr 16, 2020
13 posts
9 upvotes
Cb1912 wrote: Do you guys know how many people they interview for each available job for the second interview ? @saulgoodman7 @DavidZ075
Please do not @ me anymore for discussions as I dont need email alerts being sent every time this happens. I check this forum regularly and therefore, any questions, I will be quick to respond to.
Apr 16, 2020
13 posts
9 upvotes
Further, to answer your question, imo you shouldnt be focused on how many ppl are interviewing for the position. Rather, you should focus on how to stand out during the interview for them to pick you. The number of ppl who interview, thats out of your control. Its really up to the management to decide how much time they have for this. There is no set process. I know DND took a long time like a few months and interviewed a lot. Other departments might just interview a few. Therefore, it is not really productive in my opinion to worry about that. If you really want to know, ask the hiring team.
Oct 22, 2015
143 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I checked in on this thread. I graduated from FORD last year and I've been an FI-03 over a year. The opportunities for advancement in Finance have been plentiful. You just need to get your foot in the door and do your best work once you're in. Departments are still hiring despite the constraints of COVID-19. It's definitely different, starting without having actually met anyone in person, but we are making the best of it using Teams, and it's working.

As already mentioned, the FORD program is changing directions in how they recruit, moving to internal/student bridging rather than external processes. This just means that anyone who is still in university should be applying to FSWEP and/or COOP positions in order to be eligible. Having said that, there are periodic postings open to the public on jobs.gc.ca for FI-01s. Also, particularly if you have any relevant experience, networking can be your best friend.

Best of luck to those of you who are still in the pool. I wish you well in your career, wherever it may take you.
Nov 21, 2016
62 posts
5 upvotes
Congrats on the 3, I graduated last year as well and have been doing a lot of 3 acting but everyone I spoke to said not to get a 3 too fast as it narrows advancement opportunities. Curious if you heard this as well!
Sep 29, 2008
30 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes that would be my advice too.

The value you would bring at the 3 level is the ability to view the big picture, make connections and analyze implications across teams and the organization. To build these competencies, a breadth of experience would be very useful.

The majority of positions are at the working level, so you would have more opportunities to deploy or rotate to other teams at the 2 level, rather than the at the 3 level.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)