Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2015
156 posts
30 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Sauerkraut wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 9:11 pm
Nope, no longer available for new applications. If you want a no-FX Chase card, try the Marriott while you can get it...it's very likely also gone by end of July, assuming it mirrors the 5 yr Amazon contract timeline.
Wow, well I guess I'll never get it then... I couldn't get approved quite yet...But why are they all disappearing? Is Chase going bankrupt or something?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3455 posts
755 upvotes
on the links
CouponBaron wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 10:17 pm
Is Chase going bankrupt or something?

JP Morgan (Chase) has assets of over $2 Trillion (yes, that's with a "T"), so...uhh....no. The Canadian credit card market is a rounding error for them.
Aug 26, 2008
237 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary, AB
All these FX-oriented cards look good only on paper. In practice, they reject any significant international online purchase. Then you have to call to unlock the account ,and retry and hope it will work the second time. I own both Amazon and Fido, and both seem to explaint that they have no control over security AI that rejects charges and blocks the card.
Even if it works the first time, I almost always receive a follow up call from a security department to verify the charge. If I don't answer or call back, card is locked again.

When I get tired of trying to save 2.5%, and charge the transaction to CapitalOne, it never fails me. You get what you pay for.
Jan 4, 2011
320 posts
144 upvotes
Montreal
Interesting. That hasn't been my experience, at least with the Marriott Visa. When I first got the card, I made my first transaction for ~$5 (to get my sign-up bonus), and then a few weeks later I made my second transaction (which was an on-line USD purchase of over $2,200) and had no issues.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17572 posts
5657 upvotes
Ottawa
vkrasov wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:59 am
All these FX-oriented cards look good only on paper. In practice, they reject any significant international online purchase. Then you have to call to unlock the account ,and retry and hope it will work the second time. I own both Amazon and Fido, and both seem to explaint that they have no control over security AI that rejects charges and blocks the card.
Even if it works the first time, I almost always receive a follow up call from a security department to verify the charge. If I don't answer or call back, card is locked again.

When I get tired of trying to save 2.5%, and charge the transaction to CapitalOne, it never fails me. You get what you pay for.
I put USD $4K through an online transaction and it went through.
Jan 16, 2007
248 posts
105 upvotes
I haven't had any problems with my Fido or Amazon cards for foreign online spend.
Aug 26, 2008
237 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary, AB
joshnet wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:07 pm
I haven't had any problems with my Fido or Amazon cards for foreign online spend.
I wish I could say the same. Maybe just bad luck/timing.
I did 5 online purchases in 5 days successully with Rogers, then account lock, phone call, and hit and miss after that.
Rogers even bother to reject Amazon.com US$1 card authorization holds.
I was told they use to srcutinize Amazon.com purchases, since its a popular destination for fraudsters.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3951 posts
493 upvotes
Montreal
vkrasov wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:59 am

There were a couple times where I experienced the same issue when I went to Vermont and NY state. So I had to call them to give them the heads up before I left for Mexico earlier this month.
Feb 5, 2017
84 posts
49 upvotes
I have used my Marriot Visa throughout US, Asia, and Europe. Always called customer support before my trip and informing them. Never had an issue placing $1k+ transactions in person or online.
Aug 18, 2011
113 posts
60 upvotes
Just found this thread.

I used to use the Amazon cc because it had no foreign exchange however they are discontinuing the program as of 2018/03/15.

I'm aware that there is a Home Trust cc you can get but I've never heard of them before.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Mar 18, 2007
597 posts
163 upvotes
gogoblender wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:39 pm
Rogers or Fido Credit card
Am I correct that we pay FX charge for ATM cash advances? Loved that I didn't have to with Amazon.
Can I still prepay account and withdraw foreign cash locally with just a transaction fee (like $5 Amazon), + the 2.5% now?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1663 posts
478 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 9:04 am
You pay 2.5% currency conversion surcharge on cash advances, just like with almost all other cards. Rogers/Fido offers no advantage here.
What about the Meridan VISA Infinite? Anyone have experience in prepaying the account and then withdrawing foreign cash?