• Jan 14th, 2019 10:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4235 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto

Foreign kid studying in GTA?

Asked by a good friend from Asia country, so just starting to look for info.

Is it possible for a non-resident kid (10 yo) to attend public school here (say York YDSB)?
Or how about applying for immigration for the kid alone?
Anyone has experience with situation like that?

And OT, what are the latest way for family to apply for immigration?
8 replies
Dec 20, 2018
189 posts
113 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:17 pm

Is it possible for a non-resident kid (10 yo) to attend public school here (say York YDSB)?

Yes

http://www.yrdsb.ca/Programs/internatio ... ocess.aspx

Fees are around $14,000 a year I believe

http://www.yrdsb.ca/Programs/internatio ... edule.aspx

As for immigration, do they have$$$$$$? If not, skilled immigrants program?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4235 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:00 pm
Yes

http://www.yrdsb.ca/Programs/internatio ... ocess.aspx

Fees are around $14,000 a year I believe

http://www.yrdsb.ca/Programs/internatio ... edule.aspx

As for immigration, do they have$$$$$$? If not, skilled immigrants program?
Thanks. Was just looking at those YRDSB forms during lunch. The general info seems to say the kid with a parent/guardian or custodian will be allowed to study here. But in the application fine print: "• Gr 1 to Gr 8 students must live with a parent, or a relative as approved by International Education Services". No mention of guardian there... not sure if it basically means for < Gr8, a parent or relative must be in Ontario. Or can guardian normally be considered substitute for parent?

Hah not sure how much money my friend has. But he does own place (a condo unit) ... and a condo there is worth like 1.5x- 2x detached houses here so at least not poor I guess.
Dec 20, 2018
189 posts
113 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:30 pm
Thanks. Was just looking at those YRDSB forms during lunch. The general info seems to say the kid with a parent/guardian or custodian will be allowed to study here. But in the application fine print: "• Gr 1 to Gr 8 students must live with a parent, or a relative as approved by International Education Services". No mention of guardian there... not sure if it basically means for < Gr8, a parent or relative must be in Ontario. Or can guardian normally be considered substitute for parent?

Hah not sure how much money my friend has. But he does own place (a condo unit) ... and a condo there is worth like 1.5x- 2x detached houses here so at least not poor I guess.
Who's to say/prove the guardian isn't a "relative"? Lol

Could say the aunt has different last name as she got married? Or is a cousin of the parents?

But visa students don't nescessarily get to attend the local school but designated schools with excess capacity and don't think they get transportation?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4235 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:49 pm
Who's to say/prove the guardian isn't a "relative"? Lol

Could say the aunt has different last name as she got married? Or is a cousin of the parents?

But visa students don't nescessarily get to attend the local school but designated schools with excess capacity and don't think they get transportation?
well, trying to go with the no lying route first :)

Yeah, not sure which schools may even be available, have to look into that. Still very early in the decision even IF my friend is actually doing it. Don't want to affect his (or his son) decision, other than just provide some background info for now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4235 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. Perhaps through "Express Entry".... looks not easy to get enough PR points if one doesn't already have ties or work in Canada. How do all those hundred of thousands people moving to Canada each year?! I guess there're tricks & work-to-do to bump up the points....
Dec 20, 2018
189 posts
113 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 5:54 pm
Thanks. Perhaps through "Express Entry".... looks not easy to get enough PR points if one doesn't already have ties or work in Canada. How do all those hundred of thousands people moving to Canada each year?! I guess there're tricks & work-to-do to bump up the points....
They applied long ago? People admitted to the country as immigrants each year didn't apply the same year they entered

Or they've been here a while as a visa worker/student?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2774 posts
700 upvotes
Toronto
boyohboy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:17 pm

The child can't apply for immigration (permanent residence) on their own. The parents would have to apply for PR, and include their child in the application. They would most likely only qualify to apply, if one of the mom or dad had specific education/skilled work experience and english or french language skills that would get them enough points to qualify. If they don't have skilled work experience, there is pretty much zero chance for them to immigrate here. Having Canadian work experience or a job offer in Canada helps, but is not essential as many skilled workers qualify to immigrate simply based on their foreign education/work experience. It's a point driven process that requires formal assessment of education and language skills, so they would need to start building a profile on the Canada immigration website to see how many points they are looking at.
The provinces also run their own immigration programs (PNP or Provincial Nominee Programs) to attract skilled workers which may be slightly easier than Express Entry as they try to lure potential immigrants to smaller cities.

As for simply attending school, that is possible. They would first need to find a school willing to take the child as an international student and register them there. Then from their home country they would apply to IRCC for a study permit for their child. In addition to being accepted by the school they would also need to show they have available funds that would cover expensive foreign tuition fees plus living expenses in Canada (I think you need to show $20-$25K available). If accepted, someone in Canada would need to be declared the legal guardian of the child while they are here.

Having a child attending school in Canada, would do nothing to help the parents' immigration chances.

If the child eventually does college/university and works in Canada in a skilled job for at least a year, they may then qualify to apply for PR at that time (but couldn't include their parents). Of course who knows what immigration rules will be at that time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)