None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1807 posts
489 upvotes
Ontario

Forget Uber, driverless cars are going to change automotive industry

Did anyone catch the cbcnews segment on driverless cars? Got me excited about the future of cars

Imagine driverless car everywhere.

Less errors, human error are main cause of crashes. Less crash = less need on firefighters, police, maybe doctors. Not big dent but would affect nonetheless.

No more drunk driving

No need for automotive dealers.

Could be less need to own a car. You use it only 4% of the time from point a to b. Then it stays parked. Auto cars could continue elsewhere.

Free up a lot of parking space, that occupy non used cars

Less ticket fee revenue for cities though

Traffic still going to happen also
180 replies
Feb 14, 2013
174 posts
21 upvotes
GM is partnering with Lyft for this reason.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13409 posts
1225 upvotes
I will adopt when I am 100% comfortable playing on my phone the entire ride. I refuse to pay attention while a computer calls all the shots.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1298 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
the actual segment from CBC :

Uber, google, or another company with a fleet of driverless cars or buses redefining public and taxi transport lowering costs for everyone and having unions all over throwing fits.

Imagine being able to have a driverless transport service to your door within 5 min whenever you wanted. Why would you even own a car.

They can even incorporate a car pooling service where the algorithm will pick up several clients along the way who wants to go to the same area, lowering costs and lowering the fare. Or if you want the car to not stop for others and just service you in priority, pay another slightly higher fare.

Less police, less ambulance, less hospital services needed. Less government, less unions, less waste and ultimately lowering all our tax bills.

Can't happen soon enough.
Nov 19, 2009
397 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
Caught the tail end of it. I was actually thinking about this last year and came to basically the same conclusion. If my car can drive itself, why does it need to be parked outside my work all day long when I'm not using it? Sure, it's great to have it available to me 100% of the time, but having a car that could drive itself over to family or friends is the kind of thing that opens up cool possibilities. When any car could conceivably be a taxi, you'll see less cars produced but higher utilization out of the ones that are.

I like driving. So far, I'm stubborn enough to stick with a manual transmission. But I've had my car for 15 years now and though I hope to squeeze another 5 or so out of it, I have to start thinking about what I'll get next. Likely something pretty similar (in my case, it's a diesel VW Golf). Maybe by then I'll be comfortable with something fully electric, but either way it'll essentially be similar to all the cars I've known so far. But I have to think that whatever comes after that will be quite different. Or obviously, I won't have to get something.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
Boring.

I feel sorry for the generation of kids that dont get to peel rubber
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20850 posts
2021 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 12:52 am
Boring.

I feel sorry for the generation of kids that dont get to peel rubber
+1

And cars follow rules but when it comes to driving you can't have stiff rigid rules... Or you could end up dying, putting others at risk etc
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19159 posts
2743 upvotes
Poormond Hill
More autonomous cars, less jobs available.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3572 posts
457 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2016 11:40 pm
No need for automotive dealers.
A car being self-driving has nothing to do with how people buy it.
Could be less need to own a car. You use it only 4% of the time from point a to b. Then it stays parked. Auto cars could continue elsewhere.

Free up a lot of parking space, that occupy non used cars
A lot of the use is correlated, when you don't need a car, most people don't need it either. Most of the cost of a vehicle also comes from operating it, so all those miles without a passenger could be very well be more expensive then the overall cost of the space for parking.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2558 posts
596 upvotes
Mississauga
So if I'm not actually driving the car, that means I'm absolved of all liability?
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10101 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
mrweather wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 7:47 am
So if I'm not actually driving the car, that means I'm absolved of all liability?
Yup, just blame microsoft. ERR #404. :-0
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
May 28, 2006
2389 posts
180 upvotes
curious how well it drives under imperfect conditions such as at night in areas with no lights or during rain or snow storms. Or fog.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7973 posts
789 upvotes
Ottawa
Autonomous cars shouldn't be used to commute cause it doesn't solve problems such as traffic and over congested streets. I think autonomous cars are cool, but public transportation, carpooling and UberX like ridesharing services are what's needed to help the transportation paradigm IMO.

That being said, I'd rather drive a car for fun than sit in traffic personally, so I'm all for figuring out a better way to commute.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1807 posts
489 upvotes
Ontario
Psycho44 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 8:44 am
curious how well it drives under imperfect conditions such as at night in areas with no lights or during rain or snow storms. Or fog.
GPS, car to car communication, sensors on road for infrastructure could work for some conditions
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1042 posts
128 upvotes
I dont condone drinking and driving but hey if someone else is driving automatically what's the harm lol