Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7342 posts
1056 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 4:01 pm
They also need to teach the AI what to do when a moose approaches.
There is a video of an autonomous bolt driving for an hour hitting the brakes to not hit a raccoon
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2482 posts
417 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 4:52 pm
There is a video of an autonomous bolt driving for an hour hitting the brakes to not hit a raccoon
An angry moose would charge a car though :)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2741 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
zoro69 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 4:52 pm
Ethics issues are going to be a huge issue when driverless cars start becoming popular. For example, suppose a car detects that you will likely hit someone; does the car make an action that is dangerous to your car's occupants to avoid them? Could this be adjustable by the driver? What about for animals? Could the car's driver program the car to avoid humans/dogs/cats (and take dangerous actions to do so) yet not take said actions to avoid other animals?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 10:09 am
Ethics issues are going to be a huge issue when driverless cars start becoming popular. For example, suppose a car detects that you will likely hit someone; does the car make an action that is dangerous to your car's occupants to avoid them? Could this be adjustable by the driver? What about for animals? Could the car's driver program the car to avoid humans/dogs/cats (and take dangerous actions to do so) yet not take said actions to avoid other animals?
The day i get my automated car, i plan on changing the "kill" setting to 11.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7342 posts
1056 upvotes
The End of Car Ownership
Thanks to ride sharing and the looming introduction of self-driving vehicles, the entire model of car ownership is being upended—and very soon may not look anything like it has for the past century.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-end-of ... 1498011001

I like the "pods" idea so you can share a car without being in contact with the other passengers
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26229 posts
6067 upvotes
GTHA
Land Rover takes semi-autonomous driving tech to the next level
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/land-rover- ... -1.3473627
at a special testing ground this week Jaguar Land Rover offered the first public demonstrations of a car it's been developing that already has Level 4 autonomous driving capabilities.

According to the Society of Automotive Engineers' scale, there are five steps or levels of autonomy with one being a single function, such as cruise control, and five being a car capable of driving itself without any input from a human driver, regardless of road situation.

Level Four is defined as full autonomous operation of all driving functions in specific scenarios. And on a specially created urban environment set up on a test track a technologically adapted Range Rover Sport demonstrated how it can obey traffic lights, negotiate junctions, roundabouts and other typical inner city road situations.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Until all cars and all vehicles on the roads are autonomous, there will problems, big problems.
I can hardly wait for the first court case where the occupant (as opposed to the driver) say it is not his fault, the car did it.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?